Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97: code 0575400 = firmware 12.2.024 - Why on...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N97: code 0575400 = firmware 12.2.024 - Why only this code is still on back level ?

On Nokia site "Can I update ?" ( http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-update ), I can check for the following relationships:

code 0575400 = N97 firmware 12.2.024

code 0575401 = N97 firmware 20.2.019

code 0575402 = N97 firmware 20.2.019

My phone is the one with code 0575400. I wonder why it can not upgraded and the others can ?

Is this information on the site really correct ?

Thanks

Marcio

N97 RM-507 code 0575400 / 0580761 firmware 20.2.19 ... and no Mass Memory anymore.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: N97: code 0575400 = firmware 12.2.024 - Why only this code is still on back level ?

Same thing here!.

Were did you buy your phone, pal?

I bought mine on Amazon.com last monday, and it has the same code, 0575400.

I thought that ALL N97 were updated to 2.0 already... as far as I know, that update has been outside since the beginning of november, and that was the reason for me to wait to buy this phone.

Is there any notice of when is going to be avail? I changed my N95-8GB for this and so far I'm loving it, but it's plagued with bugs tha slow down or freeze the phone constantly.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N97: code 0575400 = firmware 12.2.024 - Why only this code is still on back level ?

[ Edited ]

Yes, same as you: Amazon.com, but on mid November.

I want to upgrade officially ( + Nokia Software Updater - NSU ) so I'm looking forward, but also trying to understand what may be going on with devices under this code.

Message Edited by MarcioAB on 21-Dec-2009 02:49 PM
N97 RM-507 code 0575400 / 0580761 firmware 20.2.19 ... and no Mass Memory anymore.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yup, same here. I tried using the phone updater, as well as the NSU and well, same thing.

I really hope there's someone around here who can answer this question, most of the gratest features this phone has were enabled with the FW 2.0, and I'm feeling like i recieved half the phone I paid for.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Someone with an estimated date?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Same here. My N97 device is with product code "0586701" bought from amazon.de in Germany. I am still with v12. I written several mails to Nokia and everytime I receive different answer.  

This is the second e-mail which i received from Nokia ...

--------------

Dear Mr. Subhendra,

thanks for contacting Nokia Care.

The firmware update is dependent on the equipment, the installed firmware version, whether it was freely available on the market or via a network (distribution channel).

The product code and which update is available for the device can be reviewed at the following website:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-upda...

The product code of the device, which is queried on the Nokia update site, contains all the information and selects the appropriate software update for the device. If you have purchased the device on your network operator, it can be to ensure that there are no more recent software update.

Other reasons that may impair the ability to update the software, are the lack of necessary adjustments or lack of compatibility with the currently available software update.

We appreciate your understanding that we can give you no availability date, as there us no such information from the product development department.

For further questions or suggestions, we are always happy

also available by telephone.

Tel: 0180 / 501 502 0 (0.14 euros / minute:smileywink: Monday to Friday

Time from 9:00 to 18:00 clock, except on federal holidays. The

Specification applies to calls from the landline network of Deutsche Telekom AG.

Sincerely,

Oliver Unthan

Your Nokia Care Team

--------------

This is the first email i received from Nokia ...

--------------

Dear Mr. Chakraborty,

thank you for contacting NOKIA Care.

The availability of updates is dependent on many factors, including from the current version of phone software (firmware), from land or from the network operator. All these factors may lead to an update for your phone is available. Other reasons that may impair the ability to update the software, are the lack of necessary adjustments or lack of compatibility with the currently available software update.

A check whether your Nokia mobile phone software update is available, please visit the following website:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305060

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to contact us again

Kind regards

Mrs. Kertscher

NOKIA Care

--------------

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Dear other cheated n97 customers, 

I bought my N97 3 days ago, thinking about having the benefits of the 2.0 software version (Great advertisement by the way). But no. It was huge my disappointment when getting the phone with out it and with no chance of updating it (Product code 0575400).

The new version of the software was the key factor to decide for the N97 and not the iphone. And now I can not use the feature of Kinetic scroll. Next time we should get informed before buying.

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
Quick questions: Did you buy it on Amazon.com ? Unlocked ? Let's try to find some patterns here ...
Message Edited by MarcioAB on 25-Dec-2009 03:27 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I bought one on Amazon earlier this month.  It had product code 0575400, and I was also not able to upgrade.  I sent it back to Amazon telling them it was not as advertised.  They refunded me full price plus shipping.  I tried the N97 mini, but am sending that back too, as 8GB is just not enough for my music, etc.  I really want the 32GBs of the N97.  I will wait until I know that 2.0 is available for 0575400 before I upgrade.

Craig 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

well, this may be a problem to Amazon sales also. Wish they get in this situation. I'm finding a can not get access to new appl appdates (NSU) because this back level. Need to find a way to upgrade without NSU.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bitflung

[ Edited ]

MarcioAB wrote:
well, this may be a problem to Amazon sales also. Wish they get in this situation. I'm finding a can not get access to new appl appdates (NSU) because this back level. Need to find a way to upgrade without NSU.
nope, not an issue with amazon specifically.  mine was bought from another vendor (mobilecityonline.com, iirc) and has the same problem, sort of.
 see, i have the n97 and have had MAJOR ISSUES WITH v2 firmware.  i hard reset my phone every 2 or 3 days.  why?  because it locks up and wont reboot (pull the battery and watch the white screen/nokia logo forever).
why do i call this the same problem?  well it's the same product code.  something is wrong with v2 firmware and this product code.  i updated within hours of v2 coming out in the first place.  v2 is no longer available for this product code, and so i can't even "reinstall" the same version firmware (found this out a few weeks ago, NSU doesn't give the option).
i'm hoping v21 will remedy this.  i'm tired of reinstalling my apps over and over and over again.   

Edited post due to sharing personal details.

Message Edited by savanah11 on 28-Dec-2009 10:21 PM
---
N95-1 ---> N97-NAM ---> N900 ---> E7-00 + N900 (I use them both)
(N95 was pretty good, N97 had potential but utterly failed to deliver, N900 is absurdly good. Those of you wondering, "should I try N900/Maemo/MeeGo"? The answer is a resounding YES)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

That makes a lot o sense to me bitflung.

I just finished a call with a fellow that acquired his N97 in June, have the same code as mine, he was able to "upgrade" to v20 in the past and told me he has a lot of problems ... that I do not have ( the guy was really mad ).

So, I'm starting to be glad that v20 is not available to me.

The name of this is "Software Hell", known by anyone that makes software.

Thankudos to you and happy new year

Marcio

Please use plain text.

If your N97 does not reboot and i does hang up within the startup phase (only Nokia symbol is visible) a problem could be the inserted micro sd card. On my phone I have to remove it, when it hangs up, and then the N97 boots succussfully.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

g2610 ... Interesting. Despite my fellow does not have SD card and have the "problems".

Quick question: Are there many N97 out there with an extra SD card ?

I wonder why it's necessary an extra SD card if N97 already came with 32 GB.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

MarcioAB, biflung.

I do have two N97 phones, one bought in Aug 2009, one in Dec 2009. Both of them are RM-507, N97-3 , both have 0575400 code. Both of them are unlocked and purchased through newegg.com (here in US).

The first phone was updated on 2009.Oct.29 from 12.2.024 to 20.2.019 firmware.

The second phone DOES not even see the 20.2.019 firmware - I have tried

1.over the air

2.PC Suite

3. OVI suite

Even http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-update

link tells me that 12.2.024 is the most recent one for my N97. 

The funny thing is - I do have N97 with newer firmware. So I know that 12.2.024 IS NOT THE MOST RECENT firmware.

I feel like I am treated like an idiot by Nokia -  I have spent 4 hours researching this strange issue  thinking that something is wrong with my computer, phone, etc. It turned to be that I am not the only one.

I am very frustrated that Nokia pulled v20 firmware back somehow without informing the N97 users about it.

Puff-f-f and v20 is gone with the wind!.... Never existed.....

"v12.2.024 is the most recent- that is all"

Nokia! It is not nice to do it - to treat your users like they are stupid.

Message Edited by Derno on 30-Dec-2009 06:23 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Hello Derno, I have nothing related with Nokia besides the acquisition of my N97, but I understand the problems with companies that need to deal with a large number of products highly dependent on software ( Nokia is included in these kind of companies ). By the way, car companies will soon be part of this list.

The 2 problems are Portfolio Management and "Software Hell".

Such companies (Nokia included) have a large Portfolio of products to manage. And the more products they add in the Portfolio the worst the situation. But there is no way to avoid that due competition and innovation.

Just on N97 line of product, for example, there is a sub-Portfolio of different products that are managed by this internal code.

Then you add another explosive in this mix: Software. Software can became really complicated ( know by "Software Hell" ). And then you have a combination of Hardware and Software in the Portfolio and the chaos is very close. That is not Nokia "privilege". The more the products became software-centric the more we see that.

Back to our problem: (now 100% guess): It seems v20 came to fix problems in some v12 products and code 0575400 was included in this list of products. Then they realized that v20 introduced more problems than solutions on 0575400 code-serie, so it was removed from the list.

For N97, I assume they should be working on v21 ( or whatever the number ) but considering the large sub-portfolio of different N97s out there, growing constantly, imagine the problem.

Now add all the their other products ... than came in the great idea of code REUSE, to try to minimize this problem. And it does but also introduce a new series of problems .... Software Hell ... and it will grow exponentially with the increase in the Portfolio. So, let's hold our breath and deep dive .... Again, not only Nokia's problem .... Volkswagen, etc will be soon tasting that.

Regards

Marcio

Message Edited by MarcioAB on 30-Dec-2009 11:30 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Guys, I am using n97 with firmware RM-507, product code 0575400. I updated the firmware by mid november with the latest firmware 20 and it's working fine. I dont know why when i checked the updates now for 0575400 the updated version is still in firmware 12. Now, im enjoying my n97 with the firmware 20. no rebooting or hang-up... 
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

yep. Someone created a nice application called NAVFIRM that is able to read Nokia NSU online database web service ( do not know if that is legal or not, but if the web service is open, it should be legal ).

With this application you can see the Nokia portfolio and can understand alot about these product codes and corresponding firmwares evolution. For example, in Americas (RM-507), the N97 unbranded portfolio covers North America (NAM), Latin America (LTA) and more 6 specific countries (some not in Americas). Very interesting.

Back to subject: Indeed, North America (NAM) was the only unbranded de-committed product code.

Who knows why ?

Regards

Marcio

Message Edited by MarcioAB on 03-Jan-2010 08:57 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

my n97 always hang on the nokia logo. how to swith on
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

please...................... always like that....
Please use plain text.