Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 music player problem

Accepted Solution

N97 music player problem

Hi,

Lately each time I drag and drop music or videos to my phone using mass storage, my music player won't show it. There's nothing in recently added and I tried refreshing it, but it showed me 'General:smileyfrustrated:ystem Error' and stopped refreshing. I checked in my file manager and the songs are still there. Any of you ever encounter this? Thanks in advance, cheers!  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
The_Funkateer

What Firmware version do you have?

I had this issue with v11 & v12 but haven't had it since v20 came out. 

If you found this post helpful, please click the green KUDOS star on the left

N70 -> N76 -> N79 -> N95 -> N95 8GB -> N97 RM-505 SW v20.0.019
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I just did this (credit to diginoise) and it worked all music now back, it's always worth checking User Search at the top of the page !

ok i found the solution here by deleting the corrupted library

http://portablevideo.blogspot.com/2008/12/music-player-database-problems.html 

now one of these below is for the music and one for the photos and i didnt have a problem with the photos but did it anyways and now the player can see my music:

these are the files that need deleting in order to get rid of the corrupted library.

Storage Drives: (Mass storage E, Memory Card F)

\private\101ffca9\harvesterdbvx_x.dat

\private\10281e17\[string]mpxvx_x.db

\private\10281e17\[string]pcvx_x.db 

• TIP: Connect the device in USB mass storage mode (File Transfer), to locate the private folder from the PC.
  • TIP: STRING and x_x will change depending on your phone. (my files had slightly different names than above on the n97)

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Micke_Nygard

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I used the instruction you gave and they worked.... but only once.

The N97mini started searching for music and podcasts BUT I made the mistake of connecting the power cable (to the USB) and that resulted in termination of the search.

After that the library was corrupted (again) and I could not restart the procedure no matter how many times I retried deleting the files.

I did however succeed to make a bypass of the problem. This is what I have and did:

1. On my N97mini I have 3 drives; C (phone), E (mass) and F (card).

2. My intention is to keep all music files on the card (F-drive). The E-drive only contains one piece of music on it - and that's the way I want it.

3. I found a folder (Music) on both E and F -drives.

4. I renamed the folder on E to "Music-X" and kept the folder on F as "Music".

5. I started the music player and refreshed the library. It took about 1½ hours for my 1700 recordings

Now it works just fine.

I'm using WMP as the syncing tool for music. With it I can direct the output to the F-drive and keep my E-drive free of music.

If I use the Nokia's player on the PC then the the drag'n'drop feature inserts all music on the E -drive.

I don't know how I could make it use the F-drive instead. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Micke

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MatthijsL

Thank you for this sollution!
I was getting really frustrated with this problem on my (new) n97 mini.
Now I can start over with a fresh library, without empty folders.

Please use plain text.
crowej

I have tried all of these and my music library still wont display my songs but is showing how many hours of music i have got on there.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sfali16

I have a similar problem on the N97 mini's music player - I had followed the instructions of deleting files in the Private folder but that didnt work.

Finally I copy pasted the files from my F:\ (memory card) to E:\ (Mass Memory) in Media Transfer Mode - I interrupted the Music Library update because I didnt want to wait for an hour. Right now, at least my phone can find all the music I transferred on to E:\

But the music player on N97 mini has too many issues - after the firmware upgrade, the volume button doesn't control the volume in the Music player app anymore. It works fine for the YouTube app so this has something to do with the firmware update

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bleedinwrists

Dude i so need help O.O I just got my N97 yesterday . I was excited to know that it's got 32GB storage, so i spent hours uploading my music files on it -.-' and no ,, I am tech challenged so i didnt sync it -.-' anyways I jut wanted to upload about 3000 music files,, after I was through with puttin them on it , I openned my music player and at first it did display that it can view 3000 songs , after playing a single song, i openned the music player again and it showed i only got 1000 songs, so I refreshed the library, yet nothing came up, Then i tried pluggin it in to my laptop and trying to figure out what went wrong, it takes more than forever to open the 'mass Storage' -.-' I highly doubt it would open at all. Next i right clicked on mass Storage and it showed that about 20 GBs are in use while the rest is free space, meaning tha the songs must be there somewhere, ALL of them. Now i'm trying to delete all the songs from my music library and maybe re-upload them on it but now THAT will take more than forever. Help !!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jeemy1986

Man, Thanks. :smileyhappy:   Had same problem on my N97mini, did exactly what you posted here and it works great for me.

Please use plain text.
dev_

I had the same problem on my (new) Nokia N97 mini after I (HAD) to do a Hard reset when turning Theme effects on refused to get it started on the latest v12 for my region.

After reading a while, I discovered that the old podcasts (which originally had been transfered from my computer and not downloaded directly on this same device) was the problem. So I removed (actually moved to my computer) both the recent and old podcasts and removed the database files as instructed above via Mass storage mode.

After that starting Music player automatically scanned the memory for music and podcasts, and yes it's working now.

TIP: Try not deleting the database files and see if it works (unlikely) and but likely only removing the old podcasts and deleting the database should cure the problem.

My mobile is a computer without a graphics card.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gvijay112000

i'have tried your method, but then also after i refresh my librery, it dosn't show all the songs.

and when I open the private folder the corrupt files which i'have deleted are present in the folder

so please help me out

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

If the solution doesn't work then you will get everything working properly by doing a hard reset, but it will take a LONG time to set up the phone again !!

Back up Calendar , Contacts and Notes ONLY , then dial *#7370# followed by 12345 and then set up the phone manually, you may also need to Format E mass memory, it will take ages to reinstall everything, but once done everthing will work fine. Unfortunately the Hard reset is part of life with the N97 :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jadhavpur

i just deleted this file for nokia 5233 using xplore-
\private\10281e17\[string]mpxvx_x.db
and then my music library got updated.
will it create any further problems because i have not deleted other two files???????
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

If your music library has updated, don't worry about it, if you have issues in the future, simply delete the files again :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abc1234

when i click on the private folder, i get a dialog box "unable to get bluetooth FTP remote folder content.Please check that your device is turned on and working properly" .

what to do ? i am dead tired of this mess :smileysad::smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jaseemkmt

Thank you so much for the information ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
poovang

hi guys i am having the same problem, when i go to music player the dialog box " general system error", comes up' and there are all the files mentioned above that appear in the libary. however i can paly the music from filoe manager. i also have a bluetooth problem. after pairing with a black berry touch(whose bluetooth was corrupted)

mine started giving problems. wheb\never i go to bluetooth and turn it on' it says unable to perform operation. so im stuck without a bluetooth device. however sometimes i gt lucky and it does activate. i have tried hard reset many times i also got v22 firmware. wich is available in my country (South africa). please help. i like my n97.

Please use plain text.