Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 "MTP usb device failed" windows 7

Contributor
Accepted Solution

N97 "MTP usb device failed" windows 7

When connected N97 via cable to pc ( windows 7 )  "N and cant see N97 in Pc suite. In mass storage mode work fine.
Please HELP.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: N97 "MTP usb device failed" windows 7

I;ve got the same problem...

before i updated the firmware when i open file window on my windows 7 it used to show my phone as N96 and when i copy and paste film onto my phone it would automatically convert.

But after I updated the firmware, it shows up as N97 but now it doesn't even want to transfer my video files...

Please use plain text.
MarcosR

[ Edited ]

I have same problem with my Nokia 5800.

I solved with this: /t5/Nseries-Devices-and-S60/mtp-device-driver-installation-on-nokia-5800-fails/m-p/566336#M177247

It's woks with me.

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mitza_tza

I disabled windows media player sharing center

1.Start

2. type "services.msc"

3. Seaarch for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service , thay are in alphabetical order.

4. Double-click on the service

5. Press STOP.

optional

6. Press disable if u don't need sharing media over a network.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not work for me on n97 any ideas, help me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
N97_GK

I have the same problem.

Have anyone found a solution to this?

I disabled the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, but that did not work. Would appreciate any help.

I am thinking about going back to IPhone. Not impressed by the N97.

Please use plain text.
MattPC

i have had the same problem: MTP USB DEVICE FAILED. But i found a solution. You have to install on your pc program: Nokia PC Suite. Then put phone by USB to the pc and let him to found and install that mtp device. After that just turn on software updater with turn off nokia pc suite on your computer(on phone get pc suite mode) and update. 

i wish it will help you. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

i have had the same problem: MTP USB DEVICE FAILED. But i found a solution. You have to install on your pc program: Nokia PC Suite. Then put phone by USB to the pc and let him to found and install that mtp device. After that just turn on software updater with turn off nokia pc suite on your computer(on phone get pc suite mode) and update.

Thats the way its supposed to work   if you fail to install the driver it wont work .

jje

Please use plain text.
MattPC

ive got a huge problem! i update my nokia n97. it wrote: instalation complete etc and now i cant turn phone on!! what happened??

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I solved the problem by removing the SD card before connecting the phone. This will allow the driver to be installed properly.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fretsonfire83

All you have to do is:

1. Make sure your computers runs Windows Media Player 10

2. Put phone in Mass Storage mode (its in the settings/connectivity/USB section)

3. Plug in the USB cable and go to Windows Explorer

4. Navigate to the drive E: Private folder on your phone and delete folder 10208913

5. Unplug USB cable

6. Turn off the phone

7. Plug the USB cable back in to the computer

8. Turn on the phone

9. Change back to PC Suite mode in settings/connectivity/USB

10. MTP will now load ok and everything should be ok

for me works!

Please use plain text.

Correct, i removed card and then driver was instaled properly :smileyhappy: Thx to oxidative for good advice :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

thank you fretsonfire83. It works on my N97 too.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Craggles

nothing is working for me, i've tried everything that everyone on this subject has suggested and i don't have a memory card in my phone i use the mass memory!!!! i quite upset with this, really like my n97, but i'm seriously thinking about changing to the iphone!!!!

grrrrrrrrr

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

yepp i used that last  option and worked.. just remember that folder name was not 1020.. it was 318566... i think it can be different names.. and you can find it directly in e: folder.. there is a icon on like question "?" "blue".. just delete it and do other steps.. it will resolve.. thanks friend for help!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
utenc

Need HELP!!

I followed your step by step. But it will does not work.

Already deleted out that folder (10208913).  Now when I changed N97 back to the PC suite, WIN7 started to installing the MTP USB again. But it gave the same message that it failed.

HELP HELP!!

Please use plain text.
Iohannes

Me too, same dang problem. HELLO NOKIAAAAAAA????????
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
H_NOUR

IT WORKED WITH ME TOO . THANKS
Please use plain text.
dr34mguy

Solved by repairing installation of Nokia Suite. I'm using version 3.3 of nokia suite on a windows 7 ultimate operating system. Needed this step to update firmware.After many attempts I finally overcame this problem by going to control panel>uninstall a program>scroll to nokia suite>select uninstall/change>dialog asks if you want to repair or uninstall>select repair.
*Please make sure of the fllg:
>phone must be on
>MUST be connected in PC Suite mode - If your phone tries to connect to internet or wlan, keep hitting cancel till it asks you to select (PC Suite) mode.
>Windows may try to install drivers and you'll see MTP usb device installation Failed - ignore for now
>Make sure the internet connection on your PC is active
>NOW do the repair-install as described above
>During repair windows will again install your device drivers, and this time you should be good to go :smileyhappy:
Hope this helps someone, and saves them the many hours I took to get this right.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LYNNGOOLD

Thank you SOOO much. Have been searching for problem preventing me transferring WMA files to my phone. This works Hooray!!!
Please use plain text.