Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 system error with photos

Contributor

N97 system error with photos

When I go to photos on my new N97 it shows the icon of one picture I took earlier in the week (the others have all been transferred off onto my PC). However when I click on the captured area to open it, I get the broken image icon and a General: system error when I try to delete it. The picture isn't visible on the file explorer on the phone or when connected to my PC. How do I remove the image completely?

If it necessitates a hard reset etc (nokias answer to control-alt-delete it seems but which takes 100 times longer) does this hard reset also wipe the mass storage memory or is it just the phone settings? Is there any way to protect the mass storage memory during a hard reset as having to back up several Gb of data and then restore it just to delete an icon seems completely OTT. Surely there is a database file somewhere that can be deleted/recreated?

thanks

Craig

Please use plain text.
Advisor
haritia

Re: N97 system error with photos

Hard Reset preserves the 32Gb E: drive. Only c: is reset. 

--
h
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, I had the same problem. I solved it by using the Nokia Photos application on the PC (part of the OVI suite). Just connect your phone, and use Delete button.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

How do I use the delete button in the OVI app? I log into it and all I get is options for sharing the content online. I don't see anything in the browser for ovi for accessing content on the phone and there's no local OVI app showing me the phone contents either

thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

i think the user meant the ovi pc suite download via computer. 

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/nokia-ovi-suite

try this  

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Use the Nokia Photos application on your PC. Connect your phone to the PC using for example USB cable. In the left top corner of the application the name of your phone should appear. Click on it - it will turn green. Now you will see the photos on your phone. Select the icons that you want to delete and press delete (on the keyboard).
Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

Thumbnails cache is in Private folder>101ffc31>glxmdstn. You need to connect to PC in mass storage mode, and check show hidden files. If you delete glxmdstn database will rebuild. Or you could rename 101ffc31 to "101ffc31_old"
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have "show hidden files" on, but do not see "private folder" in an obvious place. Can you tell me where it is please

thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I did the delete and that's fixed the broken image icon problem. Howwever "photos" still says "Captured: 1 image or video" after I deleted the broken image, then I took one picture and deleted it and there are no photos in the phone but the photos are says "1 image or video" and I don't have any videos. How do I reset this counter?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

Hmm, not heard of that before. My N97 refers to captured "items" as opposed to "image or video", your phone seems to think there's a media file somewhere anyway. Try rebooting phone. Also if you rename the Private folder to "Private_old" or something, this will wipe all databases. Reboot, then open Photos and phone will look for pics (and hopefully not find the one you mention). Video and music databases will also rebuild when you access them. I've not had to do this procedure myself, but I've seen it work for others, up to you.

I can appreciate it's irritating trying to get rid of such a thing without having to format any drives, if problem persists hopefully someone else can offer a simple workaround. Otherwise you'll need to back up and format I reckon. Sorry, all I can think of right now, mate.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Could you post the path to the private folder please as I couldn't see this (see previous post)
Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

It's the Private folder you deleted the database files from.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

jim64's tip above about deleting the glxmdstn file worked a treat.  Thanks Jim.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
olvi

erick401 wrote:
Hi, I had the same problem. I solved it by using the Nokia Photos application on the PC (part of the OVI suite). Just connect your phone, and use Delete button.

Thanks for the tip!

That helped me too and I finally got rid of 54 broken images. Life is so much better now:-)

Olvi

Please use plain text.

I have deleted the file in the Private folder.. But still getting the problems.. it first had 234 pictures now it has gone to about 190 .. So any other help please...

Please use plain text.

in my Camera on N97 it shows 300odd Captured pictures, whereas only 10-12 are available to see rest are Broken. I cant delete them , I get a Error. I have followed somebody's steps to get rid of PRIVATE folder so it builds the database again. But it has not worked.

How do i use the OVI suit. I have installed it, and connected my phone But in OVI it only shows the VALID 12 fotos. SO cant delete them via that AM I MISSING SOMETHING. Help someone please

Bikram

Please use plain text.
Contributor

the same problem...please help us!!!
Please use plain text.

thank"s for the solution given it works very well.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Momchilon

Nokia,pls fix this problem. I've tryed everything! Pls relese some easy fix!

Please use plain text.