Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: NOKIA N8 "CLAIMED" WATER INGRESSION...WILL NOT...

Professor
greycounciller

Re: NOKIA N8 "CLAIMED" WATER INGRESSION...WILL NOT FIX OR REPLACE

cataholic wrote:

brang1 wrote:

Thank you for that info. it seems it is a pet excuse for a lot of these companys

This will always be territory for disagreement because there are unfortunately a great number of untruthful customers who claim that their phone has never been near water, dropped, etc when in fact it has been.

I've been lurking in this thread too and I feel the water damege problem is very unfair for consumers.

I know someone who had a mobile from another major brand and had to send her phone for repair due to a minor fault.

When she got the phone back, it was claimed to have water damage and repair was void under warranty.

From a customer perspective though, this phone was only 3 months old, bought at the height of summer, cased, never been near water or extreme temperatures.

The excuse given by the repair facility was, " It can happen from just talking on the phone".

Faced with that sort of "roadblock" answer, what can a consumer do?

Maybe under a first repair basis, water damage can be accepted when it is clear the phone hasn't been fully immersed in water.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

I agree greycounciller the "water damage" claim should not be used as an automatic roadblock unless there is clear evidence of immersion or severe wetting (as perhaps might occur from being used unprotected in rain if not a hardened phone).

I think perhaps the reaction depends on the country one is in as in my experience some countries' retailers and suppliers tend to be more customer oriented than in others (and we tend to stick with established suppliers who have a good reputation even if it costs more), and some have better consumer protection laws than others. But over all that there are plenty of untruthful customers in all countries (although some countires may have more than others :smileyhappy:).

I think it also depends on the affected customer's attitude - if they are arrogant and angry then the supplier is likely to think to himself "Why should I go out of my way to help this guy, whatever I do he is a lost customer so I will do as little as possible and hopefully get rid of him".

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

the water ingression excuse is a easy way out. we have no way off proving otherwise. if we were to open the phone ourselves prior to testing, this too would void the warranty. its a no win situation for the consumer. sure, there are plenty of tools out there who will try it on after they have dropped their phone into the drink, but that does not mean you tar everyone with the same brush. And furthermore, if there is a problem of ingression with just "using the phone" then this would have to be a inherent problem that should be fixed.

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jj5230

maybe you should pay some for the repair.
thnks for all help!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jj5230

do you mean, you want it repaired free of charge? that's not possible. Last time i've been repaired my phone to NCC, and have to pay about $50 for it. In that case it's was my fault.
thnks for all help!
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

I think maybe he means should you need to have your phone repaired for say a camera not working and your them told you have water damage and it's your fault, why should the customer be to blame always. If this does happen in "Real" use then it must be obvious. Maybe they could test the so called water CSI like and determine if it's dropped in the bog or the sea or we just talk to much!
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

Brang1, I have heard today that your following the independent examination, your N8 will be fixed under warranty. The corrosion detected inside your phone was not conclusively found to be caused by user damage.

Water ingress is not an excuse to avoid responsibilities under warranties, anybody who is refused warranty service for any reason can request the full details of the case to be properly investigated as has been done in this case.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

THAT'S CORRECT MICHAEL, AND CHEERS TO NOKIA FOR USING DISCRETION IN THIS CASE. I HAVE HAD A POSITIVE OUTCOME, AND AS SUCH ARE VERY HAPPY. THAT'S WHY ALL THE CAPITALS.One side note tho, there is definately work to be done in the Nokia care centres. The online people and call centre people i dealt with were only to accomadating and helpful, PARTICUALLY aaron, who is probably really glad he does not have to field anymore off my calls. Sorry mate, but sometimes you have to be very assertive, but you were always the consumate proffesional. mind you i had to be VERY assertive as to where i wanted this road to go...but they like yourself MICHAEL, were very helpful and apologetic. it is the care centres that need some definate tutoring in customer care. That said.THANK YOU NOKIA, I CAN GET ON WITH BUSINESS NOW, WITH A EXCELLENT PHONE!  CHEERS !!!

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.