Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Never buy a Nokia N8

Never_Buy_A_N8

Never buy a Nokia N8

[ Edited ]

If any one is thinking of buying an N8 then please take some advice and stay well clear. I have had mine changed twice and repaired twice. Vodafone don't care and give the usual spiel. Nokia shops and repair centre send you back to Vodafone and also don't care. Very disappointed with both companies for pushing out a phone that was not ready for release. Looking at other forums this is a world wide situation and I can guarantee I am not alone.....

Community Manager note: inappropriate language removed.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Nokia cannot be held responsible for Vodafone's behaviour.

Nokia Care Points should not be sending you back to Vodafone since they are obliged to service you under warranty regardless of where you purchased your phone from. If you have had poor service from a particular person or Nokia Care Point you should complain direct to Nokia Care here: http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/contact-us.

If that doesn't help I'm sure one of the mods here will be happy to take it further up if you PM them the details of your case.

Please use plain text.
Never_Buy_A_N8

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your help and reply. I state, my experiences with both Nokia and Vodafone have both been willing to help but on their terms and conditions. Both companies have had the phone and after 4 months I have used the phone no more than three weeks. The phone is still broken and unable to turn it on.....I am the customer and I should be treated with some respect. I am still paying every month for a phone that is not working.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Although I do understand your frustration, there are many many happy customers with an N8.

Of course if you search online you will mainly find negative reviews, someone who is happy with their phone is hardly likely to start a topic on a forum saying so.

That point aside, the way you have been treated is still very poor. I would suggest bugging Vodafone about it, as they are the people you bought the phone from (I assume). Hopefully if you're persistant enough they might grant you a brand new handset?

As you didn't purchase the phone directly from NCP you aren't very likely to get a *new* phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n0ka

i have an N8 now about 3 weeks, and i have no problems with it,,,
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

The correct grammar should be "Never by an N8", not "a".

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

jezston wrote:

The correct grammar should be "Never by an N8", not "a".

Jezston, your grammar's ok but your spelling stinks :smileywink:.

Please use plain text.
Never_Buy_A_N8

I know the grammar is incorrect. I was unable to change my name title.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

As metalfan pointed out, this is a support forum so we are asking people to post about their problems. Most N8 owners are perfectly happy with their phone and never need to visit this forum, or any other.

If your N8 has been in repair twice and it still isn't fixed, you can email us in the Discussions team at support.discussions@nokia.com with more details and we'll get your local Nokia Care to assist you.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Contributor
joejader

I have had my N8 for almost 6 months now, and apart from normal crashes caused running many apps at the same time, everything is going perfectly well and I love my N8 :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wishmaker

How can you say it works perfectly when you say apart from the 'normal crashes'? There should not be any crashes. and I agree with the OP. Stay away from the Nokia N8.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joejader

Yes, it crashes

And I would like to amicably challenge you to find me a smart phone that is able to run at least 5-6 major applications (like games or the like) without crashing.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
leafy_bug

Hang on. So let me get this straight. Just because the N8 can do all that I should overlook the fact that it crashes and does not run stable? Jeez lad, you are in more denial than I thought. Since I had my N8 (X-mas 2010) I've lost count how many times it crashed, rebooted itself and gave me trouble. My iPhone 4 on the other hand, bought it at the same time, has never crashed on me and has served me so much better. I've never been so angry at a device like I am at the Nokia N8. People who say the N8 is better than the iPhone 4 have never used an iPhone. 

Now give me the flash argument for the N8 and the lovely multi tasking. Until we speak of the N8s strengths, let's make sure it actually does basic things like connect to a VPN or Corporate Network without rebooting itself. When the N8 runs as stable as the iPhone I will then point out the flash which in my view is a poor argument. I've used the iPhone 4 non stop and I never felt the need for this famous flash. About the multi tasking? The average Joe does not care about it and when the N8 gives trouble you don't care about the fact that it can run 6 apps at the same time. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joejader

look, my N8's been on non-stop for a month by now and the last time i remember it crashing is when my younger brother tried playing four games at once
in that case, you would not need multi tasking

Does an average joe include a person who doesn't have, let's say, a facebook account?
Is it against the law to want to check your friends' statuses AND chat at the same time if you had an iPhone ?
I guess you should buy two iPhones to do what an N8 could do easily
and the proof is i'm typing this from my N8 while chatting using nimbuzz, and listening to my favorite band
I guess you need three of your mighty iPhone to match what my N8 is doing right now
oh and I guess you don't use your phone for surfing sites newer than five years old
because, my friend, flash is everywhere by now
and in case you encountered a flash website, not even a stack of iPhone can match my N8
what you need is a laptop
so i guess if you don't need multi tasking for stuff like social networking practically, or flash for surfing non-medievel websites, then you might as well buy yourself a nokia 1100...
...or hang on...you hate nokia so much that you don't even care to check their discussion forums :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

iPhone doesnt crash cause it doesnt multitask. Even a laptop would hang and crash if you open too much that the system can't handle. The iPhone just makes sure that it can't handle anything by not handling things three or more at the same time, except for a few exceptions.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

Android 2.3 is multitasking. It does not crash. It does much more than N8 in a much more handy and sophisticated way. Thus, Android is the best OS today. And it is fast evolving also.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JIRAIYA_03

I'm 50/50 about this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Android 2.1 and 2.2 crashes (check the lower spec'd phones). So far 2.3 is only found on phones that have WAY better hardware than N8, and so is the iphone (1Ghz procs? twice the RAM of an N8?) So yes the N8 is not the best phone out there, but cheaper for the build quality and the other features which competition cannot compare to (camera, premium aluminum finish, USB to go, HDMI out). Basically, you get as much as you pay for. Its a matter of perspective really. You can go buy an N8, or you can go buy a similarly priced Droid which has a plastic body, a worse camera, no USB to go and no HDMI port, but has better RAM and processor.

Not to mention the Operator edited software often causes problems. Simply put, its all our choices on what phone to buy. If you feel unhappy with Symbian, by all means go with what you are happy with.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
viang

Hi All,

Just a gentle reminder, we are using a peer-to-peer discussion forum and we have to maintain a friendly atmosphere. Please ensure polite and respectful correspondence with each other to avoid causing arguments and/or offending other users.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
leafy_bug

[ Edited ]

Some  have gone so far down the rabbit hole it is even sad. How can someone give as an argument the fact that you can 'multi task' when the whole internet is plagued with N8 problems? Jeez, google N8 and add another key word such as 'WLAN or crash or reboot' you will see hundreds of results. How does the fact that the N8 can do multiple things at once help me when I want to connect to my corporate network and the N8 freezes and reboots? It is not only my N8, we are quite a few with this problem. My iPhone 4 does this without a hitch but it seems that on these boards, doing what the spec sheet says is not important. I have to take two mobile phones with me when I go to work because the N8 is simply not capable and not able to do what its spec sheet says. 

So yeah, I can be proud of my superior N8 because when my colleagues get their e-mails without a hitch with the iPhone 4 it means their phone  sucks because they cannot multi task. I will follow your advice and next time I will rub it in their face that I can multi task and have an anodised body. I rub in their faces features that simply are not relevant for the majority of people. Many are  happy with doing things sequentially. 

In any case, many who voice their opinions have never used an iPhone or an Android device and act as experts. I've used all and continue to use iOS and Symbian^3 24/7 and the main difference between the two is :

1. Symbian does a lot more than iOs but at a very mediocre level

2. iOS does less that Symbian but what it does it does perfectly. 

If in the past I would have accepted Symbian to be like this, in 2010/2011 I will not compromise anymore. If Apple can do it why can't Nokia? This blind loyalty to the brand detracts from the larger picture. Sure the iPhone 4 is locked/restricted by Apple and under their control but when you do your job with it, it is a pleasure. Look at the e-mail client on the iPhone and on the one on the N8. The iPhone works better with exchance is more clearcut and better organised. The N8 client is so 2005 and changes from HTML whenever it wants. 

Since the iPhone came out, Nokia's failure has been on the software front. For the last 4 years they continued to give broken devices whereas the competition has improved and created better devices. 

Please use plain text.