Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

New 5233 touch problems.

Contributor
Accepted Solution

New 5233 touch problems.

I got a New 5233 (went to buy 5230, but that was not available), but there are few problems right from the start. 

1. The image viewer in gallery is not working. Whenever i open Gallery>Images and Videos, it gets closed (comes back to main menu screen) automatically within 2-3 seconds.  I am not able to view a single image through the viewer. 

2. The touch is not working at some places like :
  At the Call-List  screen, i can not change the tabs from Dialled calls to any other tabs (like Missed calls,Recieved calls) as the touch to their respective icons does not work. Same things happens at the Inbox screen i.e. cant switch between Inbox-Outbox-Sent Items tabs, because the icons dont respond to touch. I tried with fingers/Stylus/plectrum, but no use. 

I tried updating the software also, but that didn't fixed anything either.

So is it a hardware fault or software fault ? Should i visit Nokia care center ?  
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: New 5233 touch problems.

101 Views and still no reply ? :mansad::smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

[ Edited ]

back up your data ang do a reset, remember to back up data when doing the number code resets as they will wipe you data. Back up to ovi suite.

Basic reset: Remove the battery for 5 min.

Factory reset: *#7780#

Soft Reset *#7370#

Do the basic one first and if still doesnt work, do the next one. 

Message Edited by chanchan05 on 30-Jan-2010 11:34 PM
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
deepestblue

harryneopotter,

when you said the touch doesn't work, is it like that at the same area on the screen? In that case I would suggest that you take it to a Nokia care point. Could be a hardware fault.

If that's not the case, proceed as suggested in the post above:

Restore factory settings: *#7780#, then enter the lock code when prompted, default is 12345

Soft reset: Backup your phone memory using PC Suite or Ovi suite, and then type *#7370#, then enter lock code.

Hard reset: Back up your phone memory, turn off, then press and hold down the Call(Green), End (red) and the camera buttons together and turn on without leaving these three keys until you see the Nokia logo on the screen.

chanchan05 wrote:

back up your data ang do a reset, remember to back up data when doing the number code resets as they will wipe you data. Back up to ovi suite.

Basic reset: Remove the battery for 5 min.

Factory reset: *#7780#

Soft Reset *#7370#

Do the basic one first and if still doesnt work, do the next one. 

Message Edited by chanchan05 on 30-Jan-2010 11:34 PM

Factory settings restore (*#7780#) will not wipe out any data from the phone, therefore, a backup is not really required.

Removing the battery for a while is not a reset procedure.

Cheers,
DeepestBlue

5800 XpressMusic (Rock Stable) | N73 Music Edition (Never Say Die) | 1108 (Old and faithful)

If you find any post useful, click on the Green "Kudos" Button on the left to say Thank You...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I am sorry, but the battery removal is a reset procedure. Reset in the way that it turns off all activated applications. Think of it as a computer restart/reboot.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/repair 

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
deepestblue

No probs, mate :smileyhappy:
Cheers,
DeepestBlue

5800 XpressMusic (Rock Stable) | N73 Music Edition (Never Say Die) | 1108 (Old and faithful)

If you find any post useful, click on the Green "Kudos" Button on the left to say Thank You...
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. The Soft Reset did the trick ...for both of the problems. May be the theme that i had installed (downloaded from net:smileytongue:) was the culprit. Now everything is fine except the GPS is not working without a DATA plan (GPRS/EDGE), but i guess thats a hardware limitation as despite a GPS antenna being shown in the manual of Nokia 5233, it doesnt seem to have a standalone GPS chip to receive satellite signal without any network help. Do correct if i am wrong (praying to be wrong :smileytongue:). 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

You should be able to use the GPS even without a data plan. I use mine in offline mode. How do you mean that its not working?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

R u sure bro? I cant seem to access GPS in offline mode. I installed the Latest OVI maps (3.03 Touch), and downloaded the MAP (By Nokia Map Loader) and saved it to the memory card. Still i am not able to see any maps when i go to Maps-->My Position. The Signal bar at the bottom right corner always shows 6 Red bars, and the screen just shows a creamish background (no map at all). While the same memory card (with the maps installed), shows the local city map in my friends 5230. My nokia 5233 doesnt seem to connect to any satellite in the offline mode. Is it a problem or the handset simply lacks a dedicated GPS Chip hardware ? 
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hey can anyone tell..about GPS in nokia 5233. my 5233 can't connect to any satelite yet. Can anyone confirm.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

That seems odd. Hmm, try this first. There is an application called Location under your applcations menu. Go to it and open positioning methods. make sure than A-GPS is turned off. Then go to GPS data. Make sure you are in an open area to get a GPS signal. Wait for it to fix. You can also check satellite status there. If you get a fix using that, your GPS antenna works.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

There is No option of A-GPS in Positioning Methods. Only two options are there :

1. Bluetooth GPS

2. Network Based.

This may mean that 5233 DOES NOT have a standalone GPS Chip (which SAD coz i only bought 5233 because i was told that the only difference between 5230 and 5233 is 3G :smileysad: ).  

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

hey i can feel your pain. I suggested 5230 as great VFM phone to many my friends, > 10

But when they went to buy it, Nokia/ Stores stopped selling it , instead offering 5233.

This is really bad for Nokia is india where it is rated as one of top trusted brand. Even bad thing is that they are just not accepting this basic fact. They say that 5230 is available in market when truth is not that :smileysad: 

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sijokthomas4u

hai friend im here 2 choose a best mobile 4 me ............

the things that i need in the mobile is :

camera (not less than 2 mp)

music player

touch screen (may or may not)

bluetooth

memory card

usb port

internet (2 use my yahoo, gmail, orkut accounts)

best battery

but the rstriction is that the price should be less than "8000" .

I HAVE JUST SEEN SOME REVIEWS ON NOKIA 6303, 5233, ....samsung metro 5200....

COULD ANYONE PLEASE FIND ME A BEST MOBILE 4 ME  (it may be other than the above).?...?

im sijo thomas

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

Go for Nokia 5230 if you can get it, for about 8000 , its great deal.

If you cant get it go for 5233 which you can get for 7000-7300. Its steal but doesnt have 3G and GPS.

all other samsung phones and Nokia 6303 are "dumb" phones and not touch.

Only LG cookie, Samsung Corby are touch phones but they are also "dumb" phones.

Please go for Nokia 5230 or 5233, no doubt about it. They are far better value of money.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sijokthomas4u

thankyou 4 ur comment.....

can i get 5230 express music for rs-8000 ?

im in kerala-nilambur . ...

i hav heard that 5233 has no sound clarity is it true ? ...

coul anyonne plz say wat is "gps"

Please use plain text.
sigma25

5230 is not available in India and nokia has no explanation why this is so . Nobody from nokia want to respond .

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thats not true. 5230 and 5233 are same in terms of music quality, and thats is awesome. If you dont need 3G and GPS then 5233 is a good option for 7300 as 5230 is not available at many places. And if you dont know wat 3G and GPS mean, then most probably you dont need them either. 

So get 5233 with a nice set of earphones (like Creative EP-630 or Soundmagic PL-11) for around 500-700 and be happy :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Suyogmh

I have talked with Nokia guys and they say that 5230 is out of stock and they are expecting to have fresh stock by end of Feb or start of March. Also They will launch 5235 Comes with Music which could be costing 10k-11k.

My brother bought 5230 in Mumbai for 8.5k with Philips In-ear headset, its great , and you can get 5233 for 7.5K-7.8K with same headset

5230 and 5233 dont have any difference in Music of anything except 3G and GPS.

If you ask me , i will pay just 800-1000 more to get those 2 features as I use them. If you dont need it then dont go for it. Simple.

Best Regards,
Suyog
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sijokthomas4u

[ Edited ]

could anyone say wat is 3g and gps

and  wat is the difference between nokia 5233 and nokia 5230 ?

Please use plain text.