Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: No Text Message Notifications - N73

Contributor

No Text Message Notifications - N73

I own a Nokia N73 on '3 UK' Network, software V.3.0638.0.0.1. Recently my phone has started refusing to show new text message notifications (1 New Text message) on the main Standby screen. If I go into the inbox the messages are there marked as unread but unless I specifically go into the Inbox I have no idea I have received them. I recently updated from Version 2.06 of the N73 software to try and remedy this but without luck.

Anyone have any advice?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

Contact your network provider and inform them you are experiencing this problem.

They will probably resend your text message settings which should solve this issue for you.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Edward. Spoken to three who have denied all knowledge of any text messaging settings and instead offered to take it away to be looked at! Not the most help ever sadly!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

03-Sep-200711:37 PM
jamestaylor wrote:
Thanks for the reply Edward. Spoken to three who have denied all knowledge of any text messaging settings and instead offered to take it away to be looked at! Not the most help ever sadly!

Oh dear ! The "useless network operator" syndrome - I know it well from dealings with Orange.

You can try getting settings redownloaded to your phone by visiting Nokia's webpage here :

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4222200

Although it doesn't send SMS settings, it still might get your SMSs working (hopefully).

If this doesn't work then one thing you can try is to reset the phone using the instructions you can find in this post :

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=4007

However please be aware that doing so will wipe ALL the data from your phone such as information in your calendar, contacts and so on.

In order to save your data you can use the PC Suite application to save and restore the data from your phone - this software can be found here :

http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

One thing to note is that as part of these diagnostics, you should NOT restore any backup or install any software on the phone as you could be putting the problem back onto the phone.

Please let me know how you get on.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Another update. Interestingly a full reset has now brought back the message notification after it didnt work the first time or during the software update.

Now more concerningly the backup taken by Nokia PC suite is saying 'only partial content' copied so I now have a working phone with no contacts or old messages and many other settings missing!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

HI!!
i am using Nokia N73 and there is a problem.There is no text message notification.When i receive an important sms the mobile doesnt remind me of that message again and again and this lead me into a seious trouble at my job.

Kindly do anything.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I've luckily managed to get contacts back with the contact importer and I suppose I'll have to bear the lost messages and bookmarks etc.

Thanks for all your help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

James - without looking @ the logs I'm not going to be able to see why your PC Suite backup failed.

However for future reference, you can also take a backup of your phone onto your phone's memory card (if you have one).

You can do this by going to Tools->Memory card and then going to Options and choose to make a backup.

So if your PC Suite backup isn't good you can go to your phone backup.

Just remember the data will only be as recent as your last backup !

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.