Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: No instant messaging app on my N8

Counsellor
andreab11

@ljung : same here. And what is worst is that, like I said some posts above, Nokia Messaging site is saying that the N8 is already having the client installed! Just select the N8 as device here http://messaging.nokia.com and it will say to you that

Your Nokia Phone has IM built in.

..and it suggest that you should watch a video for getting started. In that video you can see an icon that is not present on the N8, and that's the IM icon.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yeah thats bad, lets hope they make it available anytime soon.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
flip1199

My n8 is missing the chat app as well.  I called nokia care about it twice and the two reps i spoke with had devices and theirs had the chat app and they told me mine was defective and to exchange it.  But now that I read this I'm guessing it's just a sw thing and it might be included in a sw update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Apparently IM functionality was dropped out of the retail firmware. There must have been some issues with it. I'm pretty sure they will release it soon as standalone app on OVI Store or update via Software Updater.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

I just did read this on allaboutsymbian.com review of the final N8 :

" In early previews of the N8, Nokia Messaging for IM was present on the device. However, this has been left out of the launch firmware. It’s not clear why, but it seems likely it will be made available via Ovi Store or included in a future firmware update. In the meantime there are several third party options that can be used instead, including Nimbuzz, Fring and eBuddy. "

so I guess this is the final confirmation that no one is having the IM app on N8. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

I can confirm that N8 has windows live msn installed:

http://windows-live-mobile-client.softonic.com.br/symbian/download#pathbar

try to install that and it popups this message(translated):

"Cannot install component. It is allready installed."

You can test it yourself and hopefully someone activates somehow that program.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
richs

Yep, you're correct  Nokia N8 has inbuild chat client app & wizard as shown in the videos & promos, My N8 also had these features, but its lost now and not visible after doing a silly reset. damnn........

Now even i'm lookin to get this chat app back to ma phone

Moreover i even reinstalled the software from OVI suite but found no success.

Hope if any of us finds it, so we can help eachother,

c ' ya....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

Nokia IM now seems to be available for Europe:

http://europe.nokia.com/services-and-apps/messaging/download#/nokia-n8/

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

swa10 wrote:

Nokia IM now seems to be available for Europe:

http://europe.nokia.com/services-and-apps/messaging/download#/nokia-n8/

After I posted this, they changed the message to NOT Available yet for your phone !!!!!!!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

It seems most people is not very interested in this problem. To sum it up : Nokia advertised the N8 saying that it had an integrated IM client while it is not true. Please read the other posts in this thread for having more detailed info and links.

I just checked on http://betalabs.nokia.com and I found this statement :

Thank you for your reply.

The Chat feature is a default feature of the Nokia N8. We suggest you request for a different unit of the same model.

Regards,

Michael I.
E-mail Support Executive
Nokia Careline

Now, we all know that no N8 was shipped with the integrated IM client. So why is that Nokia worker saying a lie? And more important : why is there no IM client on the N8 even if they advertised differently? Is there such a client on the E7?

By the way Nokia removed the feature from the specs list, after people bought the phone believing in that lie. And as usual no official statement was made, but after all who cares, we only paid 499€ for this phone, we don't deserve to deal with honest people!

I know about Nimbuzz (that's what I use now), Fring etc. This is not about third party apps. It is about Nokia doing false advertising. I would really love to know the reason for this. 

I though that the lack of an integrated IM client could be somehow connected to the Symbian^3 issues at the base of the push email problem. Whatever. I love my N8 but it seems Nokia is doing everything they can to make people hate the device and Symbian^3 all together.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

There is no IM client on E7 too.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
richs

finally the nokia IM chat is now available for N8, for those who dont have can download it from nokia n8 fanclub
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Murrayit

I got the error 2148532241 while trying to install it

why?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Please use plain text.