Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 XM Light Sensor Problem

hi!

I have nokia 5800 XM for last 8 months, it has been going so gr8 until the last time in december 2009. i accidently dropped it in a resturaunt. My fone's display light has been messed up. It used to turn brighter when i unlock the keypad or there comes a call on the fone. But its messed up now. Neither does the display light  go brighter when i unlock the keypad nor the light turns on when there comes a call on the fone and basically i cant see anything until i attends the call.

Please help me solve this problem!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
NickG

Re: Nokia 5800 XM Light Sensor Problem

Wait, I didn't quite get you... Can it go brighter when receiving a call, or not? If yes, you might try a hard reset(*#7370#, then default code is 12345), or you can reinstall your firmware, see if it helps. Try checking the light sensor in Settings>Phone>Display, make it the brightest, or the least bright, to see whether it's working, before doing the hard reset and FW reinstall.

If not working, well the only thing you can do is go to Nokia Care Centre, or use your warranty, since the phone is 8 months old.

Please use plain text.

Thanks NickG!

i already did hard reset before throwing this question. And how to get the firmware reinstallation.? I think the problem is with light sensor. It turns brighter on reciving a call bt doesnt go brighter when i unlock the keypad, which it used to do before the accident. I believe its the problem of the light sensor. Do u know where is its light sensor located exactly. becz i m confused whter the one i m checking on, is a light sensor or proximity sensor.

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

1. Reinstallation of firmware can be done by using Nokia Software Updater via USB cable at any point by end-users.

2. The problem ure facing is only after the device dropped accidently, I advise u to consult Nokia Customer Care centre to get it rectified since hardware issues are not fixable by end-users and touching those internal components voids warranty.

TQ

I'm an Xploit - Please feel free to post your issues, feedbacks in this discussion forum and I'll do my level best to help, otherwise my knowledged friends whom are around willing to help you. Thank you !
Please use plain text.
Advisor
NickG

You better visit a service point, unless the reinstall works of course.

If I were you I wouldn't bother disassembling my phone, since the warranty goes down at the very moment you do this. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kruzy

pls help me i am having problem with my nokia 5800. it happened this way my phone fall down and I picked it up and saw that the screen was white and i have to off and on it back. sence the i have been having problem with my phone. if i on the phine it will show but after some time it will go balnk. or when i try to make call it will go blank. then i use my hand to cover the senor it went blank. now i find it very hard to use my phone. pls tell me what to do.

Please use plain text.