Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Belle FP1 and Dolby Digital Plus!

Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd
Accepted Solution

Nokia Belle FP1 and Dolby Digital Plus!

I'm really impressed about belle FP1 coming to 701, 700 and 603.

I read an article by Nokia conversation:-

www.conversations.nokia.com/2012/03/01/nokia-808-pureview-partner-makes-it-unbeatable/

I noticed this:-

Normal stereo is
fired into your ears, but this Dolby software
converts it into a kind of sound halo around your
head.

Do anybody know how 5.1 channel sound can be experienced using normal headphones with only stereo speakers for right and left ears!?

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
graceboy9

The simple answer is it is not at all possible.I have a 50inch plasma tv in home.This technology is in it.But truly speaking up to this time i have not felt any 5.1 effect with it,either in headphones or without it.Just think how can be it possible.If it is possible then what is the use of all these speakers putting here and there on walls wasting space.This multi million companies will say this and more.It is all just a marketing trick, just like 1080i and 1080p in hdtv industry.Even people with sharp sight cant find out the difference between this two.But 1080p set is expensive than other.Now a days people will believe whatever this companies say.They have given rest to their common sense and brain.In reality the only thing will be the sound quality must be high with this software and with associated headphones.This is my experience and opinion.You have to wait until that update and then you yourself can say what is right and wrong.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Thanks for your reply.
Quite interesting.
I read that that technology converts normal 2 channel sound to surround channel effect.
I believe it would be very good as per the article.
Let me see after the update. :smileyhappy:
Satisfied with Nokia software and features. :smileyhappy:

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I played a mkv file and the phone showed the dolby sign but with stereo headset i don't see the advantage.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Dolby Headphone / Dolby Digital Plus functionality provide an enhanced audio experience when using headphones. For content that has been encoded with Dolby Digital Plus audio, playback is transformed into a personal surround sound experience.

The difference is very noticeable and for most listeners will count as a very significant improvement (especially when watching movies). However, the software tricks used to achieve the effect may not appeal to audio purists. Dolby-encoded content can be downloaded through the Nokia Trailers application and, in due course, via the third party Voddler video-on-demand service.

From www.allaboutsymbian.com

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Got the FP1 on my 701.
Dolby Digital really enhances the clarity and sourround sound.
We can clearly observe the motion of the sound around ears which is not possible when it is turned off.

See Pic. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
graceboy9

Do you really want to say that you are hearing a true 5.1 surround sound with complete bass effect.or just a shadow of it.then it is great otherwise a thing to satisfy non purists
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

@graceboy9

Thanks for your reply.

My previous post is for normal audio and videos where DD enhances the sound.

Bacause of your reply I could able to searche the web and found  some videos at Doby.com itself.

www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html

Download especially the third video with name 

Channel Check

select  mp4 small.
Copy it to your phone and turn on DD symbol and listen.

Also see Dolby headphones and how it works.
www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html 

Now yes I'm confident to say that I'm hearing a true 5.1 surround sound with complete bass effect.

Thanks to Nokia for this awesome update called Belle FP1. :heart:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

The sound provided through 2 speakers or headphones is Virtual surround. The trick is it uses phase difference in the audio signal.

There are headphones like Razer  Megalodon where sound is Virtual dolby surround.

Read this

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html

If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dradel

DD+ files seems to be working nicely on the Nokia 700 also.

Off topic a bit, do normal DD 5.1 files not play on these devices, but only DD+?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

Dradel

It should play

If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dradel

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mullaadib

Hey shrikanthsd, the pics which u had post on dolby audio on ur nokia 700., first of all u tell me u are using dolby digital headphones or normal headphones only to hear the dolby audio?? Bcoz I m trying to hear dolby audio in my n8 but I m not able to get that dolby logo and audio.... Reply
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

There are no dolby headphones available.
Any normal headphones can produce 5.1 channel effect. Dolby symbol is only visible on dolby 5.1 supported videos. Dolby is enabled to turn on or off only when you attach headphones.

Check whether any software update is available for your phone.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mullaadib

Thank u shrikanthsd for ur warmth info.... In my case I am neither able to see dolby on off switch in equalizers nor in settings while listening music into headphones... Is there any other way to hear music via dolby?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Software update could resolve your issue.
Check for update via Nokia suite or using software update on your phone.

Please use plain text.