Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 - Code error with lock code

Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 - Code error with lock code

Hi,

I have a lock code on my phone but for some reason when turning it on the other day it doesn't accept my code anymore. It comes up with "Code Error". I am definitely putting it in correctly.

There is no way I changed it / forgot it.

There is no way that anyone else could have changed my code.

I've tried a master reset (holding down on button for 8 seconds) but it still doesn't work. I'm feeling the only other option would be the hard reset.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also will a hard reset mean that I lose all my contacts, music, photos, apps etc...?

Many Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Re: Nokia N8 - Code error with lock code

I've seen this on some very low end Nokia phones in past where phone kept saying "Code Error" even if the code was right. Cure is to turn off the phone  for a few minutes ( almost 10 mins) and then turn it back on and try the same code. Though it was on low end basic phones, never faced this on N8 or any other recent Nokia device but still worth a try before attempting hard reset!

Good Luck.

Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

If nothing works.. the ONLY solution that remains is to visit Nokia Care along with the proof of ownership (Bill / Invoice) and get the code reset to the default 12345..

In absense of back-up..you tend to lose your important data...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SPerr

The same for me and my new C6-01.

I didn't change the default lock code NEVER since I bought this cell, a month ago (it is supposed to be '12345').

Every time I tried to  change it (Phone Management-Security), or tried to lock it, "Code Error" shows on screen.

I'm sure there is no possibility anyone could change the lock code instead of me.

I guess default lock code (factory default) is NOT '12345'.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

You may be right.. as with reference to Pg.No. 105 of the User_Guide the lock Code is to be of Minimum 4 characters...Try 0000 or something like that..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mcnalljj

I had exactly the same one my C7, I started off with panicing, thinking I'd mistyped the code when setting it. But removed the battery and SIM (not sure if that was necessary) for 30mins, put them back in and its been fine ever since. You could just try turning it off for a while, or maybe letting the battery run down completely...

No idea what caused it, I had set up MfE and had to set a passcode as part of provisioning, but nothing else stands out.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SPerr

Well, after a few days of restoring my cellphone (The C6-01 I mentioned before), I came to this:

- After Hard resetting, the Lock Code is still erroneous;

- After firmware reinstalling, Lock Code is erroneous;

- Pulling out the battery, leaving the cellphone with no power for several hours, give the same result;

- Downgrading firmware (previous version) did not fix the problem;

Interesting thing is, after power on, the cellphone asks for the code lock: entering ANY number, returns "Code Error", and simply goes back to normal operation.

Everything is working, except I can no use de Lock Code, or any function related to it.

Of course, is pretty annoying to enter the lock code every time I power-on the cell.

Please use plain text.
taneesha

has anyone resolved lock code error?

Please use plain text.
Alias0815

after anna update my n8 kept freezing and reboot.
did a factory reset and it worked liike a dream (see other blog)
since then the security code drives me nuts, and 12345 doesnt react anymore.
took the memory card out and it stopped asking...so far...
Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

Are you sure its not a sim card lock code? Vodaphone prompts for pin number if you have reset the phone or removed sim, it should be written on the sim card plastic holder you took the sim out of.
Please use plain text.
Alias0815

I am sure its the sec code and I think anna has a problem supporting memory cards, but I might be wrong in this respect
Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

Never had any trouble with a 32gb san disk this end :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Hi Santanic6663,

If your phone isn't accepting the lock code you will need to go to a Nokia Care point to have the phone re-flashed.

Thanks

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

im on  vodafone and for some reason my lock code was the same as my vodafone pin number.you could try that.i DIDNT change my lock code.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kimluv

My Nokia N8 is locked and i forgot my passwords any one know how to unlock it ??

Br

Kim

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi Kimluv,

If you have forgotten or you have lost the lock code or security code, try first the default lock code 12345. If it is not accepted, contact the nearest Nokia Care point to unlock your device. You can visit the below link to select your country's support website.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/locations/
Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fleck22

I have this same problem and tried doing the hard reset and as said the code does not change...

I tried taking my phone to the only Nokia Care in my city and they told me that if they reflashed the phone it would only work with Telcel carrier but the problem it's that I use Iusacell carrier  so if I fixed my phone I would not be able to use it... I can not believe that the only Nokia Care on my city can only flash phone for Telcel...

What can I do? I've went to Iusacell and they told me that they could not take care of my phone because is out of warranty.

Why the Nokia Care in my city does not have a firmware for every carrier?

Please use plain text.
anayochi

i have the same problem with my 808 pure view what i can i do
Please use plain text.