Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Freezing / hanging

Contributor
AbuNasser
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 Freezing / hanging

I have purchased the Nokia N8 device on 27-10-2010, after I used this device I found some weak point of this device as below :

1. From time and time the device being Freezing or hanging, so you should force turn off by pressing and hold for 10 second the power button.

2. When you recording the video the flash light is not working.

Please anyone who have good experience about Nokia N series please feed me back about these problem.

Note : The hanging process is major weak issue for Nokia N8.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You should contact your local Nokia Care Point about the hanging and freezing. Your phone could be one of a small percentage of early units with a hardware fault.

The xenon flash cannot be used for videos unlike the led flashes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AbuNasser

It's mean I should replace my device to the store when I purchased this device?

Please use plain text.
wolves3

Nokia N8 "DISconnecting people"
If you want a nice looking smart phone that doesn’t work, then get an N8. Has frozen more times than the artic circle, eventually stopped working completely. It was sent back for repair (yeh whatever) lasted 5 minutes before same faults appeared. Nokia know there is a hardware issue with this phone that causes software faults, wiping the software (i presume this was done to my phone, customer service would not give that information to me) does not fix the hardware issue, only prolongs the time unsatisfied customers have with a phone that is about as useful as a brick. Customer service are also about as reliable as the phone itself, have now informed me they will be in touch within 3-5 working days to let me know what is going to happen (mmm wipe the software again?) so a month will pass with no working N8, meanwhile I have gone back to using trusty old Samsung!
N8 the flagship smart phone from Nokia??? oh dear is this the best Nokia can offer!
The dumbest Smart phone on the market!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
b8sher

[ Edited ]

now on my third n8 in 3 weeks .Each phone has frozen ,switched itself off or gone blank , was looking forward to owning this new nokia as i have had many nokias before.Will be getting something else sony x10 maybe NO MORE NOKIAS!!!!!! gutted as a very good camera and video when it works.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
scottysattler85

Unfortunatly this is abit of an issue with the N8. I work in phones,and its been pretty much 50-50 with our N8's...either they work fantastic or they lag. I can understand how people could hate this phone after being onto thier 2nd,3rd ect...for those of us whose phones are working great however, we would never change

If i have helped, feed me kudos!
Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

Apart from daily random spontaneous reboots (sometimes several times per day) I'd say my N8 has been surprisingly stable, especially after the PR1.1.

But these random reboots makes the phone unusable for business. You can't be taking the phone out from the case every few minutes to check that it is still on and not waiting for the lock code to be entered.

Trying to switch from an iPhone 3GS to the N8 has so far been an interesting exercise, a bit like running a marathon with sand paper in your shoes. The day Nokia understands that the UI user experience and software quality is just as important as superior hardware, that is when they will be regaining lost market share. It won't do to release a phone with a flaky OS and a half-baked UI. The best camera phone on the market will still fail if users is dissatisfied with the rest of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

I am no longer using the N8 but instead just keeping it on standby at home. After removing the lock code the phone completes restart on its own. About twice or thrice daily I hear the bootup chime from the phone as it is sitting there on the table by itself...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AbuNasser

Dear All,

After my phone get update to PR 1.1 & then PR 1.2 the freezing or hangging has been gone.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

I have 014.002 installed for a couple of weeks and still suffer frequent random freezes, with the screen going white and then the Nokia handshake appearing (but I don't have to put in my SIM code as I do when I switch the phone off and on).

Yesterday I was attempting to shoot a video story and the N8 froze on at least every other attempt to make a video; it was so frustrating I had to keep from chucking the thing in the lake!

Sometimes it freezes while shooting a still photo, other times while attempting to browse the web, sometimes in the middle of writing an email or even entering contact information.

I'd estimate that if I use the phone for an hour, I'll have between 6 and 15 freezes.

• I am dismayed ... I did not expect this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

The problem continues ... it was ameliorated slightly by removing geotagging from the camera and video camera, but even sitting beside a wireless router, the N8 continues to crash when scrolling through RSS internet pages.

What should I do? Return the phone?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

[ Edited ]

So, I've now had the phone for a month, and it continues to frustrate.

Yesterday it would reboot whenever I opened a web page. Today it reboots when I try to change tone profile settings.

It would help to know whether this is a hardware problem or a software problem ...

I would appreciate some advice or does no one read these posts?

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

It sounds like you have a faulty phone by what you say.

Do a full back to mem card than pay a visit to an NCC.

Chances are it will eventually power down for good and not restart. 

It may have to be swapped out or replaced. 

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

I've had the phone a little over six weeks now.

As a professional, I bought it for photo/video work: it's brilliant, but I have to give it a DO NOT BUY rating because of the freezing/hanging/crashing/resets.

Sometimes it's every attempt at writing an email; sometimes every photo viewed; sometimes it'll go a day with only five or six crashes, then next morning every app or some of them crash every time or every other time. It's random but maddening.

Only problem with returning it is I bought it from Dell USA in the U.S., but live in Canada and would have to engage in "cross-border shipping" to get it back to them. And the unlocked version (essential for travel to certain countries, to use local SIMs) is unavailable in the Frozen North.

I had expected better. GRRRR.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

[ Edited ]

Nokia doesn't have an international warranty, I've learned ... Apple does for the iPhone 4.

Good as the N8's camera is, the lack of international warranty alone — if publicized — would be a deal-breaker for most informed consumers, given the percentage of defective product that is reported to be shipped.

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

Hi PHM1. Sure feel sorry for you in your predicament. I like your point about the International warranty. The only good thing that'll come of it is that'll further dent Nokia's reputation in the US. It's as though Nokia is a silent company with no one to deal with things when they go wrong.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

Yes, an international warranty is de rigeur these days. By definition, a "mobile" phone goes with mobile people, who may cross borders! Not having it is another black eye for Nokia, which the company hardly needs (yesterday, its technology chief quit: http://nyti.ms/iL00uH – reportedly because the company's abandoning the Symbian platform).

My defective N8's crashes continue today, with the scariest one yet:

The screen went entirely black with only the battery/connection manager visible in the top right. No combination of clicks, taps or swipes would get a homepage back. Finally something gave me a window that offered a series of choices that didn't do anything, except for one that said "Turn off phone."

With some trepidation, I chose that choice.

Luckily, when I turned it back on a minute later, the home pages and functionality returned.

But as you can see, this is all crazy-making. DO NOT BUY, Mr. Elop. I wonder if he's rethinking his move. (And as a Canadian, he should be instituting an international warranty posthaste!!!)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

Just talked to a "supervisor" in Nokia USA's repair department.

Have to send the phone to Texas. That, eventually, seems not to be a problem.

But they'll ship it only to a U.S. address ... and that means I'll have a private forwarder send it back to Canada, and get slammed with possibly hundreds of $$$ in duty; all they'd need to do is ship it to my address clearly labelled REPAIRED ITEM and it would avoid that.

It would not have been a difficult work-around to regain a modicum of customer goodwill.

Despite my explanation, the sincere-sounding young man said he had to "follow procedure." Interestingly (to me), he had never heard of the Nuremberg Trials and the inadequacy of the "just following orders" defence.

Why, Mr. Elop, when you're aware of the unconscionably high proportion of defective N8s leaving your plants (you are aware, aren't you?), do you not institute an international warranty immediately?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

Does social media work?

Are you frustrated with your Nokia phone?

Follow @AngryN:w00t:wner on Twitter, and let's see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JTECH

OH really , Samsung is the worst company I have ever met,and i had 4 or more  good only for trash after few months and because one object is faulty doesnt mean the company is bad because if ur saying yes than you should buy nothing frm anyone(I had a router edimax and was faulty frm when i bought it), i admit it that os is bad and outdated.

Please use plain text.