Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 Midnight Theme gone?

Counsellor
pjhaas
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 Midnight Theme gone?

[ Edited ]

I believe I'm going mad. Bought the Nokia N8 fired it up and saw a new theme was presented to me: Midnight, in several different colors. I selected Midnight and I absolutely loved this theme! Now two days later upon restarting the N8 the Midnight theme is gone, wiped off my phone! No problem, went to the Ovi Store and looked for the Midnight theme: nowhere to be found. Tried Google, Ovi Store on my PC and I can't find it anywhere, except in a French YouTube video.

Where can I redownload the new Midnight theme for the N8?

UPDATE: It seems I downloaded the Midnight Theme using Software Update on the phone. Under Update History is says: "Nokia Themes: Midnight Update successful 5/10". 

But under Menu > Settings > Themes > General this new theme is completely gone. I restarted my N8 several times and ran Software Update several times. Nothing works.. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pjhaas

Re: Nokia N8 Midnight Theme gone?

[ Edited ]

And I just noticed all my captured photographs are gone! Just like that! I didn't even mess with the telephone... Last night they were there, this morning they are all gone. The N8 is very buggy! Please, beware!

Update: and now they're back... When I was charging the N8 over USB the photo's were gone, when I unplugged they are back. 

And the Midnight Theme is back as well!! Apparently when the N8 is charging over USB weird stuff happens... 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Were the theme and photo's saved to the mass memory? If so it sounds like a memory corruption issue to me.

Have you recently connected the phone to a computer in mass storage mode? If so did you use the "safely remove hardware" option on the computer before disconnecting the phone?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pjhaas

It's solved... I used the 'safely remove hardware' option, yes... but I expected the N8 when charging over USB to be fully functional.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Ah, so it was still connected to the computer. If you connect any device in mass storage mode the main storage area will only be available to the computer, not the phone. This is to prevent corruption.

If you just want to charge the phone and still have full access connect it in PC suite (or ovi suite) mode, I think media transfer mode will work too.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

You should install the theme you wan to use on phone's memory. Otherwise it will disappear in Mass Storage mode.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pjhaas

[ Edited ]

Thanks, but I installed it using Software Update. I cannot reinstall it. How do I move it from mass storage to the phone memory?

I cannot even find the Midnight theme using File Manager in my Mass Storage, nor in the phone memory...

This is what I found in "Installed applications":

Midnight Themes 1 kb (installed in phone memory)

Midnight Silver 4 MB (installed in mass memory)

Midnight Copper 5 MB (installed in mass memory)

Midnight Lime 5 MB (installed in mass memory)

etc.

How do I proceed?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Unfortunately you have no control over where the "software update" app puts those themes. It cannot be manually moved either.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pjhaas

[ Edited ]

Ah, so I cannot effectively install this official Nokia Midnight theme in phone memory? This means every time I use the N8 in mass storage mode I loose the theme temporary. This ... kinda sucks..

But understandable since every theme is 4 - 5 MB. Thanks for clearing this up!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Correct. Eventually the theme may be available unofficially elsewhere so that you can choose where to install it.

The forum at nokiausers.net often have official themes that have been ripped from a phone. Probably a bit too early for the N8 themes though.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Dipso

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, just go into the program mannager, delete the themes and you will be able to install them via the updater again.

EDIT: Oops, i misread you question... I lost mine due to a system format without taking backup, but the programs remained in the programmanager so i was unable to install them through update manager.

I'm going to leave this post, just incase someone has my problem and stubles by this thread.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
paperikaveri

This is also relevant to my interests. I love Midnight Themes as well, much better than the original ones. However, I had to do a hard reset and the themes are gone while firmware version is the same so I can't get them via update either...

Please Nokia release this theme set in Ovi.

Please use plain text.
Sage

pjhaas wrote:

And I just noticed all my captured photographs are gone! Just like that! I didn't even mess with the telephone... Last night they were there, this morning they are all gone. The N8 is very buggy! Please, beware!

Update: and now they're back... When I was charging the N8 over USB the photo's were gone, when I unplugged they are back. 

And the Midnight Theme is back as well!! Apparently when the N8 is charging over USB weird stuff happens... 

Just disable "mass storage" over usb and enable Nokia Ovi Suite or any other mode. If you enable "mass storage" the phones access to E: and F: is locked for access from the PC.

Nokia Bug Tracking System @ http://dev.an3k.de/bugtracker/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RudgwickHelen

I managed to get mine back after a hard reset by going in settings/Application manager/Installed Apps and I deleted any reference to them in there. (get rid of all the midnight themes though) . I then went back to Ovi Suite and looked in the Ovi Updater and there they were.. so I re installed them. I  had managed to do a full back up before I did the hard reset so I dont know if this makes a difference.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
balu369

Dear all, can anybody help me out.....i am in dubai and i own a nokia n8. Before purchasing it i once went to Jumbo in Bur Dubai and i saw a cool cool application for n8 in the demo phone. It was like the destop of HTC mobiles. There was one button on lest side, on touching it the screen will go back and we can slide different home screens and altogether it rocks. Can anyone tell me which is that application and how can I make it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I have a question that is related to this.

I have what I assume is a "standard" Nokia N8 that has been updated to Anna.  It has several built-in screens named "midnight <color>" with the <color> being "green", "copper", etc.  The icons still look like they did before the Anna update (as far as I can tell)).

On my original N8, updated to Anna and with several themes being installed, I also have the "midnight <color>" name for the theme, but there is a symbol at the right that sort of looks like a coffee cup.  I have all my "midnight" themes listed twice, one with the coffee cup symbol, and one without.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, and first of all, what does the "coffee cup" symbol mean?

On this N8, all the theme icons have been modified to something a bit fancier than the original.  Is this related to the coffee cup thingies?  How can I get this fancier theme on my new N8?

Please use plain text.