Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font -...

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

We are getting close... or closer. Ovi Stoe and PixelPipe (latest versions for N8), also maybe Nokia Panorama are written in Qt. There might be a wrong version installed in most N8's except for FCKLai who had no problem. Hence, at least we know of all people here who experience Ovi Store Crash after font change, only one person has no problem.

tv123 wrote:

Are there any experiences for the C7? This all sounds very difficult... I just want to write and read Japanese characters Is there an easy way to get this working?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dkam

I've read all the posts and am lost between the different advises.

Could you tell me what should I do to be able to read (at least) the messages in Russian at my N8 bought in France (no Russian letters in the package)?

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Anyone who have installed these fonts (font change in MicroSD)...

If you go Browser, Clear Cache... does it work now, the Ovi Store? Trying different theories now since I got my N8 recently and figuring out this problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Clear cache does not work.  Same problem, unfortunately :/

childofthewo_mj wrote:

If you go Browser, Clear Cache... does it work now, the Ovi Store? Trying different theories now since I got my N8 recently and figuring out this problem.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Anything you installed that might have changed the Qt version in your phone? Have PixelPipe or Wordpress?

ilaughatjoo wrote:

Clear cache does not work.  Same problem, unfortunately :/

childofthewo_mj wrote:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lon19

Well the app pixelpipe works itself but the problem is just that whenever the app tries to open the confirmation page (prompts entering the title, description etc) it just goes shaded then does nothing, i think its because the words written on that page is in Italics... Does the CJK pack include italic fonts? maybe that is the cause for Ovi store problem too x.x

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Any font, including Nokia's own from Z:\ renders Ovi Store dead.

Lon19 wrote:

Well the app pixelpipe works itself but the problem is just that whenever the app tries to open the confirmation page (prompts entering the title, description etc) it just goes shaded then does nothing, i think its because the words written on that page is in Italics... Does the CJK pack include italic fonts? maybe that is the cause for Ovi store problem too x.x

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Qt 4.7.2 will hopefully fix this annoying problem. For now, not shopping in the Ovi Store. Too bad for Nokia!

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-10653

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

It is noted in the Qt Bug Report that Qt (Ovi Store, Panorama....) have various issues with fonts... etc. 

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG/fixforversion/11701

Issues: Due

• QTBUG-6611 (Labeled Critical: Application Font not Supported on Symbian)
  • QTBUG-10653 (Conflicts between 'FontRouter' and Qt on Symbian)

Great discovery! Qt has huge problems with fonts and applications. The fix is due for 4.7.2, but it has not yet been worked on according to this bug report. So for now, Nokia Ovi Store will not get my money for toys and apps since reading CJK is more important than games! Stupid! Really Stupid Ovi by Nokia . This affects NOKIA N8 which uses Qt for most of its core applications!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

There is a way to add extra languages to the ditionary application, for example I added Russian to my US device and can now translate from English to Russian which means Russian font is now installed on the device in some form or fashion. Wondering if somehow I can make this font available to the emaill app. I'm not even hoping to get russian as writing language, but is it asking too much to at least be able to read messages in other language in 2011? Such a shame, Nokia...

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Only for dictionary. The dictionary is a very useful legacy application. 

valdemar wrote:

There is a way to add extra languages to the ditionary application, for example I added Russian to my US device and can now translate from English to Russian which means Russian font is now installed on the device in some form or fashion. Wondering if somehow I can make this font available to the emaill app. I'm not even hoping to get russian as writing language, but is it asking too much to at least be able to read messages in other language in 2011? Such a shame, Nokia...

Please use plain text.
dkamo

Could you tell me how have you managed to install the Russian characters in your N8.

I have bought mien in France with european font pack (no russian letters).

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

C'est mystérieux. Why does your N8 not have Cyrillic? N8 and Nokia Fonts always have Cyrillic Support. The default fonts in Z:\Resource\Fonts, what font names do you have?

I can check if it contains Cyrillic font glyphs.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

I just read this in a blog.

From Nokia's customer service, I just know N8 SUPPORTS MULTI-LANGUAGE!!!.  However, it is kind of tricky to add a new language.  OK, please follow the following steps:

1. Go to Menu.
2. Tap  Applications.
3. Select Office.
4. Go to Dictionary.
5. Select Options.
6. Choose Languages.
7. Go to Download Languages.

Choose the language you like and proceed to download it.  Then, you can browse the website without any frustration.

http://www.nokian8forum.com/nokia-n8-troubleshooting/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-n8/

Is this true? Then the font will be used System Wide???

Please use plain text.
dkamo

You are right
Please use plain text.
dkamo

It's working and is so easy.
The only problem is that the input keyboard is steel limited to the latin characters
Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Hi DKamo, 

Let me figure this out.

If your phone cannot display Contacts, SMS, website... etc. in a non-supported script, you just download the dictionary? It will install the fonts? Sounds weird but worth a try.

Input KB - That will always be in English unless you have Dasur SlideIT or Swype and download the language pack you need.

Swype (http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/swype-for-symbian/download_and_installation#Languages):

Dutch

French

German

Icelandic

Italian

Polish

Dasur SlideIt (http://www.mobiletextinput.com/Product/SlideIT/symbian/LanguagePacks.php):

See Capture for Languages Available

I might want to try this method so OviStore does not break!

dkamo wrote:
The only problem is that the input keyboard is steel limited to the latin characters

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I installed Russian language into dictionary but this didn't have any effect on reading of e-mails that were sent to me in Russian, still just a bunch of ? marks. I can translate from English to Russian with cyrillic letters shown properly on the screen, but obviously not the other way around as russian keyboard is unavailable.

Another thought is that this may actually be related to encodings used for sending e-mails as I was able to read russian websites out of the box w/o installing any additional fonts, in other words the fonts may be available but e-mail app is unable to decode the characters in e-mail properly into whatever internal wide-character representation that Symbian uses.

I'm going to try sending emails in different encodings and see if there is any effect.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

dkamo wrote:

What is working? Browser? Reading of SMS? Reading of e-mail using the built-in mail app?

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Nope. Downloading Nokia Dictionary does not install the system font required to view it. Confirmed.

Please use plain text.