Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.
Reply

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font -...

Advisor
Posts: 12

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

 


childofthewo_mj wrote:

Nope. Downloading Nokia Dictionary does not install the system font required to view it. Confirmed.


Same here, in my case the recommendations to add additional languges via dictionary came from Nokia Care, what are they smoking there?

 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Posts: 7

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

UNSOLVED.The language issue remains unsolved. Solution addresses Chinese only! How to Address Hebrew and Arabic and like right to left language? Does any one know? pls

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

I want to be smoking what the Nokia Care Rep is smoking. Maybe I will think their 'method' works too! ;-)

 

 


valdemar wrote:

 


childofthewo_mj wrote:

Nope. Downloading Nokia Dictionary does not install the system font required to view it. Confirmed.


Same here, in my case the recommendations to add additional languges via dictionary came from Nokia Care, what are they smoking there?

 


 

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Please read note: Original Nokia font already covers Arabic & Hebrew! For writing method, these fonts do not warrant a writing/input method for you if you want Hebrew & Arabic.

 

By default any Arabic & Hebrew font is displayed RTL. Thus font only contains Unicode Encodings of Hebrew & Arabic, sites not using using Unicode encoding will have squares as text.

 

For Hebrew & Arabic Input. Check out Dasur SlideIt. This application is written by Israelis.

 

Par example, my friend's name, Asif is in Arabic. He is in my contacts. His name is still showing in Arabic. In RTL. And his English Name in LTR.

 

Shalom!

 

 


grand001 wrote:

UNSOLVED.The language issue remains unsolved. Solution addresses Chinese only! How to Address Hebrew and Arabic and like right to left language? Does any one know? pls


 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Posts: 12

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

[ Edited ]

Ok folks, here is some info that may be useful, at least for those who are trying to add cyrillic language to the device. I have a US N8 version, likely these findings apply to phones shipped with other latin-based language packs.

 

After all it seems that things are not as bad as I originally thought. It looks like that the only thing that is really broken is the ability to read plain text e-mail messages in russian, that is messages sent with content-type: text/plain which seems like a bug to me because messages sent with content-type: text/html render properly (KOI-8R, Windows-1251, and UTF-8 encodings all worked), which proves that the necessary fonts are installed. So, if you're communicating with someone who can send e-mails as html just ask them to do so. One caveat is that N8 itself sends messages as text/plain so if your party is using the same phone but with a different language pack it won't work, but hopefully the inability to read text/plain messages is really a defect and it will be fixed at some point.

 

As for SMS I was also able to read an SMS message in russian that was sent from a Nokia N900, not really sure if this proves that SMS messages in russian sent from other phones will display properly but this is still good news.

 

Browser works just fine for russian web-pages.

 

Of course one other thing that is missing is the writing language support, but it looks like 3rd party keyboards available from the OVI store and a corresponding language pack should fill that gap, I have yet to try them.

 

Note that I did have russian dictionary pack installed at one point and then removed, so there is a chance that additional russian fonts were left on my system as a result.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

 

Nokia Font Default Character Set
--------------------
Latin
Cyrillic
Vietnamese
Greek
Arabic
Hebrew
Thai
Hindi
Added Character Sets
--------------------
CJK

valdemar wrote:

Ok folks, here is some info that may be useful, at least for those who are trying to add cyrillic language to the device. I have a US N8 version, likely these findings apply to phones shipped with other latin-based language packs.

 

After all it seems that things are not as bad as I originally thought. It looks like that the only thing that is really broken is the ability to read plain text e-mail messages in russian, that is messages sent with content-type: text/plain which seems like a bug to me because messages sent with content-type: text/html render properly (KOI-8R, Windows-1251, and UTF-8 encodings all worked), which proves that the necessary fonts are installed. So, if you're communicating with someone who can send e-mails as html just ask them to do so. One caveat is that N8 itself sends messages as text/plain so if your party is using the same phone but with a different language pack it won't work, but hopefully the inability to read text/plain messages is really a defect and it will be fixed at some point.

 

As for SMS I was also able to read an SMS message in russian that was sent from a Nokia N900, not really sure if this proves that SMS messages in russian sent from other phones will display properly but this is still good news.

 

Browser works just fine for russian web-pages.

 

Of course one other thing that is missing is the writing language support, but it looks like 3rd party keyboards available from the OVI store and a corresponding language pack should fill that gap, I have yet to try them.

 

Note that I did have russian dictionary pack installed at one point and then removed, so there is a chance that additional russian fonts were left on my system as a result.


 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Posts: 12

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Just spoke with Nokia Care today, they refuse to acknowledge it is a defect. Even if it is a defect they won't fix it because the device requires a language pack to support other languages "by design". Offered to install a language pack, but I think I'm gonna pass on that.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrus0403
Posts: 9

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

i have tried to put new fonts into \resources\fonts

but its not working, cannot read korean or other language 

mine device is from Hongkong, there are more fonts in N8 rom. S60TCHK.ttf and S60C_C.ttf

i have also tried to rename and put more fonts into resources folder, but still not working

any ideas?

 

code:059d161

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

RESOURCE\Fonts


cyrus0403 wrote:

i have tried to put new fonts into \resources\fonts

but its not working, cannot read korean or other language 

mine device is from Hongkong, there are more fonts in N8 rom. S60TCHK.ttf and S60C_C.ttf

i have also tried to rename and put more fonts into resources folder, but still not working

any ideas?

 

code:059d161


BTW. You already have Chinese on your phone. This might not work. It will give you error.

 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrus0403
Posts: 9

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

yep but i want my n8 to read korean.

the built-in font is not support korean so what i see is square.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Posts: 12

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

 


cyrus0403 wrote:

yep but i want my n8 to read korean.

the built-in font is not support korean so what i see is square.


Can you read Korean in the browser?

 

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

What fonts do you have in Z:\Resource\Fonts, use Dr. Jukka Y-Browser to check. Let me know.

 

 


valdemar wrote:

 


cyrus0403 wrote:

yep but i want my n8 to read korean.

the built-in font is not support korean so what i see is square.


Can you read Korean in the browser?

 


 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrus0403
Posts: 9

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

[ Edited ]

 


valdemar wrote:

 


cyrus0403 wrote:

yep but i want my n8 to read korean.

the built-in font is not support korean so what i see is square.


Can you read Korean in the browser?

 


nope cannot read korean

 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrus0403
Posts: 9

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

 


childofthewo_mj wrote:

What fonts do you have in Z:\Resource\Fonts, use Dr. Jukka Y-Browser to check. Let me know.

 

 


valdemar wrote:

 


cyrus0403 wrote:

yep but i want my n8 to read korean.

the built-in font is not support korean so what i see is square.


Can you read Korean in the browser?

 


 nosnr60.ttf

nssb60.ttf

nstsb60.ttf

S60SC_C.ttf

S60TCHK_C.ttf

S60ZDIGI.ttf


 

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Confirmed! After font replacement of any fonts, even Nokia Original Fonts in !:Resource\Fonts, Ovi Store, Panorama and PixelPipe, all Qt Apps written in WRT does not work!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bloggingpig
Posts: 1

universal fonts - works on Nuron

universal fonts

 

more CJK info

 

---

 

If the N8 is the same as the 5230/5800 series, then you can easily install 1 font group that'll support Every Langauge. Anyways, works well here w/Opera Mobile 10.1 Asian for CJK usage.

 

Not perfect - Web browser doesn't have the proper ENCODING settings for web pages, so some don't display correctly.

 

This is where NOKIA needs to get off it's lazy **bleep** and create universal IME asap!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichdostres
Posts: 42

Re: universal fonts - works on Nuron but not on N8

I tried with that fonts in N8, it has the same problem. You can read japanese, in websites, in the dictionary, etc but Ovi Store dies : ( 

 

I hope the firmware update fixes it, and i hope the update comes sooner than later.

 

As for japanese input, Alexdal posted some nice info on possible programs:

 

- plusJ    (+J), they do this for older phones but N8 is not yet in the compatibility list. :smileysad:

 

- Psiloc Crystal Japanese. Similar to plusJ but I read complaints about horrible DRM :smileyfrustrated: besides it still isn't listed as compatible with N8. :smileysad:

 

- M-FEP60 Pro, this seems promising and in the author's blog there is a post with it working in the N8. However it isn't available for download yet :smileyfrustrated: But it seems good and it is donationware. Maybe I'll email the author and see if he's planning to release it soon. :smileyindifferent:

 

(here is Alexdal's post:  /t5/Messaging-Email-and-Browsing/JAPANESE-for-S60v5-touch-phone-5800-5230-N8-etc-and-s60v3-serie/td-... )

 

 

Please use plain text.
New Member
Viv3cK
Posts: 3

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Nokia I,  In my ROM which is Z/resource/font folder there is 
nosnr60.ttf
nssb60.ttf
nstsb60.ttf
S60SC_C.ttf
S60TCHK_C.ttf
S60ZDIGI.ttf
I thought it was only suppose to be 4? I even tried copying those 6 files's name and renamed the font I wanted. But it still did not work. Help me. Is it safe to try in the C drive? 

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj
Posts: 402

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Because you already have Chinese.... those 2 other fonts are for Chinese Traditional and Simplified.

 

No, don't try in C:\

 

 


Viv3cK wrote:

Nokia I,  In my ROM which is Z/resource/font folder there is 
nosnr60.ttf
nssb60.ttf
nstsb60.ttf
S60SC_C.ttf
S60TCHK_C.ttf
S60ZDIGI.ttf
I thought it was only suppose to be 4? I even tried copying those 6 files's name and renamed the font I wanted. But it still did not work. Help me. Is it safe to try in the C drive? 


 

Please use plain text.
New Member
Viv3cK
Posts: 3

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

So that means i cant change the fonts?

Please use plain text.