Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 USB port not working

Registered Member
agony69

Nokia N8 USB port not working

Hi everyone,

first up best wishes for 2013!!

I can't update my phone anymore, after I installed belle my phones USB port stopped working. When I plug the original datacable in nothing happens, even windows wont make a "device connected"sound anymore. phone doesn't flash the USB logo..... tried it with another type of micro USB cable same thing.

yet When I use the micro to regular USB converter cable the USB logo on the phone keeps flashing but it wont recognize a USB memory stick and so forth?

phones warranty just expired two weeks ago, this is not fun and not what I expect from a rather expensive phone sadly... cheers

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@agony69

Whilst sorry to hear this whereas not infrequently reported upon E7-00 the N8-00 seems to have a better record in this respect; it would be interesting to know if device has also lost "flashing mode" connectivity in addition. If you are returning device to Nokia Care facility, you probably would want to delete all user data from device so might be an idea to carry out a "hard reset" to return device to "Out of box" state in these particular circumstances to exclude any possible software corruption.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
agony69

thnx for the reply!

I first want to hear a bit of a price quote from my local ironic care point, since the phone is out of warranty (even if its just for 2 weeks)... I know repair bills can quickly add up.

Just think its a bit strange because the USB logo is flashing on the phone when that converter cable from micro to regular USB is attached, yet nothing happens when the data cable is hooked up.... Its a sturdy cable and nothing happened to it.

I did hear that a hard reset erases allot and then u need to get it reflashed. But will a soft reset do the same ( 8 SEC's of powerbutton & using the reset to factory defaults menu)?

cheers!!

!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@agony69

It is only the three key depressed power on "hard reset" that can remove some essential files precluding Nokia Maps & Nokia Suite from working in some cases!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zimtaliban

Hi,

I have a nokia N8 with belle refresh, I use cruzer 4gig flash, when i plugged it in today it told me to remove the device which I did now I'm not getting any response what so ever from pc suite or the flash

Please help !!!

Please use plain text.
jekiboi20

@zimtaliban

Can you tell us the exact error message that you received? You can try these steps as it might fix your problem:

1. Reboot your PC and your phone then retry.
2. Plug your phone to other USB port.
3. Uninstall and reinstall the Nokia Suite.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zimtaliban

@jekiboi120

thanks,its been a couple of days now I've tried changing cables, usb ports, even flash drives not a response at all will try re-installing nokia suite now, its not looking good :smileysad:

jekiboi20 wrote:
@zimtaliban

Can you tell us the exact error message that you received? You can try these steps as it might fix your problem:

1. Reboot your PC and your phone then retry.
2. Plug your phone to other USB port.
3. Uninstall and reinstall the Nokia Suite.

Please use plain text.
jekiboi20

zimtaliban wrote: 

thanks,its been a couple of days now I've tried changing cables, usb ports, even flash drives not a response at all will try re-installing nokia suite now, its not looking good :smileysad:

Okay. So you mean to say that your PC can't detect even your flash drives? If that's the case it might be that the problem is with your PC already. Try the steps provided on this link. It will help. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zimtaliban

on the computer everything is fine, flash portable hard drive, mouse keyboard all work fine, even tried on another computer still nothing on my n8 :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
jekiboi20

@zimtaliban wrote:

on the computer everything is fine, flash portable hard drive, mouse keyboard all work fine, even tried on another computer still nothing on my n8 :smileysad:

Is it charging whenever you connect it to your PC, if not maybe your phone's USB port is broken already. Check with Nokia Care for it to be repaired.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
zimtaliban

jekiboi20 wrote:

@zimtaliban wrote:

on the computer everything is fine, flash portable hard drive, mouse keyboard all work fine, even tried on another computer still nothing on my n8 

Is it charging whenever you connect it to your PC, if not maybe your phone's USB port is broken already. Check with Nokia Care for it to be repaired.

There is no nokia care in Zimbabwe, going to have to try finding someone witha a hot air station and try replacing it :smileysad: hopefully its just the metal part and not a blown chip

Please use plain text.