Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 and Audible Books

Contributor
ant2ant

I have managed to get this application and the audio books onto my n8 but I am not get any sound even though it is playing. Any solutions please.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Silent profile switches sound off - have you tried General?  Apart from that, no other suggestions, sorry.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ant2ant

Many thanks, yes my phone was on silent works fine. Glad to know that when I have problems that I am not the only one and people like you help, usually more help than phone nokia themselves. So pleased with my n8
Please use plain text.
StillPrawns

Could do with a native evernote app too - I've got the beta release working after a fashion on my N8 but a stable native app but be a godsend..

Papyrus and Projekt (optimised for the N8) wouldn't go amiss either!
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

All the evidence I have suggests that installing this version of Audible on my N8 may have caused me to lose my 3G data connection for internet access.  Did not notice it immediately as when I am at home, I use my WLAN.  However, yesterday, while out, I noticed that Situations did not change my profile, as it had done previously, based on my location (which I set using 3G masts rather than GPS)  I then checked Opera using 3G and got 'Cannot connect to proxy server'.

To correct the situation, I had to go back to a restore point prior to loading the Audible app, and now I am back with my 3G connection.  Just a warning for all of you who try this.  I may be wrong, and it may be some other cause but everything points to the Audible app.

So .... I still need a working Audible setup ....! Not a happy bunny any more. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GadgetQueen

Well I don't know what I did apart from persist but I finally got it working in a fashion. Thank you to all who have helped & to mikwag for raising the subject.

It is very slow though & takes an age to load and to buffer etc, has anyone else found this? Also the controls are different to my previous version, the usual controls are very tiny & don't seem to do anything even if I change the settings to remove the gaming buttons.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Hi GadgetQueen and I'm glad you have got it working. Before I uninstalled it my experience was the same as yours - very slow to load and buffer - took about 3 - 5 minutes just to get the app started.  However, the first book part I tried I was already 5 hours into a 6 hour download (Part 1 of 3), and tried to forward through to the 5 hour point.  Unlike my N96 8GB it seemed to break each part up into 6 different segment of about an hour each. After forwarding through 3 parts it decided to start again at part 1.  The controls were tiny as you say, and I could only use the four-way controls and the central button, although even that played up. I also used the menu.  At one point, when I had forwarded through 2 parts, and then stopped forwarding, I had 2 streams playing at once - one from where I had started going forward, and the other from where I stopped! Using the menu to pause, paused the second one, but left the first one playing.  If I pressed play it started playing both at the same time again.  All-in-all I didn't think it was a workable solution anyway, despite the other problems I had.  Hope you have better experience than me - but I am STILL hoping for a better and workable solution.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
willharris

we're getting there! some fairly heavy tech requirements from our friends at audible but we are working through it and will be releasing something in the new year, all things being equal! i for one can't wait...

thanks for your patience and i'll keep updating this site until we get the thing built and released

will

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GadgetQueen

Hooray! I will look forward to that. I contacted Audible & they allowed me to suspend my account for three months so that I don't lose the credits I have not used which is great. Hopefully all will be sorted by then.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tailbell

Please keep us Nokia N8 users updated as I personally cannot wait for Audible on my cherished N8

Please use plain text.
Keltoi

Hi there,

first of all apologies for my rather poor English. English-lessons at school seem all to be forgotten since the last one was more than 14 years ago :smileywink: and after school I did not get much practice.

Will, is there any news at Nokia?

And sorry if I am in the wrong board and thread but this one seemed to fit best? As I understand, the n8 and the c7 both use the same OS. Would the (hopefully soon) coming app also work on my c7 ?

It's my 5th Nokia phone as I am Nokia customer since about ten years.

On my 5800 the audible player just worked fine but because of other issues I finally threw the phone away after using it for just one year.

Now I am glad to own the c7 which seems to function normally but I am really sad about the lack of audible-compatibility :smileysad:

I hope there will be a satisfying solution, soon.

Best regards

Keltoi

Please use plain text.
tlarsen

Audible has been very vague in giving a definite answer on whether or not they will add support for Symbian ^3. It's possible that Nokia it partly to blame for this lack of AA supoort.?

I recently converted some of my 'unlistened' Audiobooks to m4a files and I'm now using LCG Jukebox as a player because it allows me to leave bookmarks. I used a program called Noteburner on my girlfriends Mac to convert them. I don't know if something similar exist for PC?

On a related note it would have been very nice if the N8 at least supported *.m4b files so one could leave bookmarks by default in the regular music player.

For my part I got so fed up with Audible's poor custumer service that I cancelled my subscription. If enough people do this maybe the company will take custumers more seriously. I would much prefer having a native Audible player on my N8 instead of going through the drag of converting my books.

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

I contacted Audible UK about support for Symbian^3 and just got their answer:

Thank you for contacting Audible UK

We are constantly in discussion with device manufacturers in a bid to have as many players support our format as possible but I am sorry this isn't the case yet with your device. I do not know of any current plans to support the later Symbian devices but I have kept a record of your contact and will, with your permission, notify you if the player supports our format in the future. It may also be worth periodically checking the supported device list at
www.audible.co.uk/devices

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

Thanks lillracksingen

This is almost word-for-word what I got from them 8 months ago (see first post in this thread), when the N8 was released.

No change there then .....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RootieMon

Hi everyone

Just adding my YES, more like 'HELL YES" to this post.   Will, it's nearly 4 moths into the new year and there is nothing in OVI store.   I want the N8 but this is a BIG deciding factor.   It shouldn't be too difficult.

Please give us an update from Nokia's side.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Symbian^3 users: No commercial ebook readers (no commercial Kindle, Nook, eReader books) and no Audible books for you. Very sad, given the screens and storage capacities of devices such as the N8.

I believe Nokia cannot hit sales targets with games only.

And I believe Nokia ought to be aggressively pursuing the commercial developers of ebook content, and Audible, for a solution that will work on Symbian^3 phones.

. . . now, if only someone who matters, from Nokia, would happen to read this thread.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Unfortunately Nokia lost the plot years ago - as you say, there is NOTHING in the way of books either ebooks or audio books available on the so-called top-of-the-range N8.  Whilst I have been a life-long loyal Nokia fan, I now feel totally let down by their lack of any ability to persuade companies like Audible and Kindle etc. to provide apps to run on S3.  Nokia may have put ALL its eggs in the Windows 7 basket - however the way I feel at the moment (all loyalty to Nokia has evaporated) I will rate the market and buy the best phone to supply my needs.  Both Android and iphone will run both Audible and Kindle.  I have plenty of choice.  Whilst it is difficult defining the difference between feature-phones and smart phones, it does appear to me that although S3 phones provide lots of features, they definitely are not smart enough to satisfy my requirements at the moment.  I suspect the N8 will reluctantly be my last Nokia. And even if one of the top Nokia people read this, I hold out little hope that anything will change within a reasonable time-frame - Nokia has no ability to provide anything within an acceptable time-frame - I have had my N8 nearly 6 months and despite promises there has been no improvement in some of the less than acceptable functionality in certain areas.  I have defended Nokia against 'the rest' for quite a while, but as Nokia are not giving me any ammunition to continue doing this, reluctantly I have to say that the loss of market share they are experiencing is quite justified, and is likely to continue.  I would not suggest to anyone that they buy a Nokia phone over the next year ( as the Windows 7 phone will be new and no doubt have teething problems) so I foresee a huge group of previously loyal hardcore Nokia fans such as myself buying a phone from another camp, in my case for the first time.  Will the last person please put the lights out ..... 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
twocreeks

Hey nokia  lurkers? Any update nokia on the Audible issue?

Just to let all posters on this thread know that the good news is that nokia is moderating this thread - unfortunately it is not to understand any expressed concerns of n8 buying customers, but rather to ensure that noone makes comments that apparently inappropriate to the topic of Audible and the lack of support that nokia has provided its loyal customer base.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Rambler1101

Totally agree with your sentiments.  Have been running Nokia nearly all my life.  Some months back I got an N8, but found: no Audible player, no Nokia podcast and additional license required for Open Office.  Have returned the N8 as it just did not do everything I need.  It is extremely unlikely that Nokia will be my next phone.

Still using my E1.  Although Audible does not connect and log in, I download the audible file to my PC, copy to the E71 and then play by selecting local content. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

The connection problem is an old one and Audible are aware of it. After reporting it them in August last year, the reply from them was that they know about it, it affects different devices and that they are working on it but don't when it will be resolved.

Please use plain text.