Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 software update 2.0

im in the uk and the updates are available now thru the web - however i am having problems with this update

i have posted earlier this evening

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Ok, so clarification needed:

What exactly does "Please note that your mobile service provider, operator, or carrier may not have approved the latest Nokia device firmware available." mean?

I have a generic Nokia N97, my 'service provider', 'operator' and 'carrier' do not offer the N97 as a handset so WHO is blocking my updates??

WHY CAN'T IT JUST WORK?

Should I have purchased one from the States? or the Middle east? or Where??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hmm ..i will wait and watch how 2.0 going to change my **bleep** N97 into a full fledged working one this will be my final wait if v2.0 also fails then i will never turn back to nokia in anycase .
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, sad to say it, but I agree. I have been happy with my phone untill i tried my friend's new htc touch pro 2 today. Okey, camera is weaker and with no light, but everything else is better. Screen respons, more ram, faster respons in menus, and you can perfectly hava a call using the speakers. When I am at home, I often use speakers, and those are quite fine, but the person calling me have problems of hearing me. - still I am quite near to the microphone. You can stay in another room with the tp2, and still the caller will hear you. So, i guess V2.0 won't fixe that, but if it fails in other ways.... - I am out of here.

i was really happy with it untill he showed the tp2 to me, still htc user complain about old cpu and stuff. But it was fast enough for me, and faster than the n97 in lots of ways. argg

Message Edited by bowardsen on 17-Oct-2009 02:06 AM
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
techinsane

Nokia people, do you think we owners of the phone are currently happy? it would be better if you gave us frustrated owners of the phone a exact date. You guys just seem to be on another multiverse.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Instead of us wasting time asking what "in the next few weeks" means just tell us the date or tell us you are not sure, Simple is that?

ex N97 20.0.019 owner

Happy iPhone owner with ALL features actually working :]
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Hi eveyone I have had my nokia 97 now since the launch of it this year. I must say Nokia there is an lot of bugs in this phone. When it was first launched I was so excited to receive my new mobile I thought it would take the apple iphone of its top spot. I think it still could be a serious contender if only the phone worked all the time.

I have to reboot the phone nearly every day as the widgets crash or you get era messages.

So come on Nokia you have been selling brilliant mobiles for many years now so please sort out the issues so we can all enjoy the many features of the phone.

Michael

Gadget Lover

Decorative living

For all your gifts for all the family

Moderator note: Website removed

Message Edited by ravin514151 on 17-Oct-2009 01:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

Hi xbungle,

I'm delighted to see Nokia sharing information on updates and developments. Many of us customers want to know what's happening. I hope this is the start of a new trend to more actively engage customers.

Regards,

.lzs 

Please use plain text.
Sage
britzinelul24

WELL I JUST WANT TO SEE...IF NOKIA WON'T RELESE THIS SOFTWEARE THIS MONTH (UNTILL 31OCTOBER) I AM SURE,VERY SURE THAT IT WILL BE A VERY,VERY BIG DISAPPOINTING AND NOKIA IT WILL JUST GO DOWN IN THE EYES OF THE USERS.

JUST WAIT AND SEEEEEE :smileyhappy:

I TELL THIS BECAUSE OF THE STATEMENT : "NOKIA N97 SOFTWEARE UPDATE 2.0 WILL BE RELESED IN THE COMING WEEKS" SOW IT MY BE IN NOVEMBER BUT....THEY OFFICIAL SAYS: "PR2.0 FOR N97 WILL BE AVAILABLE SOMWEARE IN OCTOBER"

O.K. NOW WE WILL WAIT AND SEE.I JUST HOPE THAT NOKIA HAS ASSUMD THE CONSEQUENCES IF THEY RELESE V2.0 IN NOVEMBER, BECAUSE IT WON'T BE VERY WELL + THEY WILL LOSE VERY MUCH CLIENTS (AND THEY LOSE ALREADY BECAUSE OF THE SOFTWEARE OF N97v11 AND v12,THE LENS SCRATCHED,GPS ANTENA,ETC)

Please use plain text.

Thanks for the info Nokia Software Update Team.

But this was not the message we N97 owners were waiting for.

It seems to me that Nokia doesn't take his clients serious.

First you sell a very expensive product which is full of bugs and use your clients as beta-testers.

Next you keep them waiting and waiting for a crucial update....

Be clear and tell an exact date.

The people who bought this device are all gadget lovers and are your leading salesmen to family, friends and colleagues.

Of course your product needs to be outstanding for this.

I always bought Nokia phones but I cannot recommend this product to anyone I know.

Same goes for the service....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

what i dont understand is why nokia dont just release firmware to everyone at the same time and some get it later then others
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Different people get the updates at different times because, except for a mess-up within Nokia as was the case for the UK, the firmware has to be approved by networks and regulatory bodies. Regulatory bodies in different countries are more or less in a hurry to approve the firmware and networks are never in a hurry.

So, once Nokia decides that new firmware is ready, it's up to numerous different organisations to give the green light, which explains why different regions and/or networks get the updates at different times.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

so how does apple manage to release firmware at the same time to everyone?

sure they only had one carrier per country but now they are expanding to more carriers and if you buy it sim free or with carrier they release the iphone 2gs 3gs 3gs and all ipod touches firmware on the same day

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imlite

paliometoxo wrote:

so how does apple manage to release firmware at the same time to everyone?

sure they only had one carrier per country but now they are expanding to more carriers and if you buy it sim free or with carrier they release the iphone 2gs 3gs 3gs and all ipod touches firmware on the same day

Apple is able to offer updates for the iphone on a specific date because of both the firmware design, which splits functions between phone and app operation, and the locked to single operator per country status. Nokia has a hierarchical design; firstly phone, than additional functions, than Nokia apps, lastly third party apps. Different providers include their apps at both the Nokia app and third party app levels. This requires much more testing and reprogramming causing slower rollout and more software bugs and conflicts. Apple, by splitting phone operation and apps have made things easy for themselves, Nokia have made a rod for their backs by using this old design and allowing different operators to include bloat ware.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I purchased my Nokia N97 on Thursday for $730, worked fine out the box, on second charge, i got this message "unplug charger from power supply to save energy" so I've resorted to using the USB charger, this works but it constantly says charging and never stops. I think this could be a software error based on what I've read on the website. I can't wait for the version 2.0 software and the kinetic touch as I'm going crazy... Mt brother owns an Iphone 3GS 32GB, so far, its looking better than my N97, I hope Nokia sticks to their promises and the software made available soon...
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

fred345, the message "unplug charger from power supply to save energy" is a green thing. When the charger is plugged into a power outlet it is still drawing electricity regardless of whether it's connected to a phone or not. So the message is just asking you to be green and save some electricity, no need to charge using USB.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi froschy,

Thanks for your response,but when I get that message it does not charge my phone at all. It says not charging. And it fails to charge the phone, even the charge LED on the phone is off, the only way I can charge at the moment is by USB. If you have any additional feedback, that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Hey fred345,

Sorry that wasn't any help, I didn't realise that it wasn't charging from the wall charger.

Just guessing here but could it be a problem with the charger or maybe even a hardware issue with your phone? You may want to think about taking it into a Nokia Care Point to get it checked out.

Cheers,

froschy 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks again, I guess I will have to take it in on Monday. Its still under "warranty" so lets see what they advise.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

1 or 2, maybe 4-5 weeks later
Please use plain text.