Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 software update 2.0

Counsellor

Thanks for the reply - just checked again (both NSU and OTA) and still get 'no updates'! Like fcuk31 I wonder why??
Please use plain text.

I had a similar problem with the "end active calls and connections" first.i removed the widgets from the home screen and it seemed to work ok then...
alien raider
nokia n97 black on vodafone
previous phone- lg ku990 silver
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

What the hell!! My home screen widgets disappeared all i got is the old nokia n95 8gb standby screen. you get the clock at the top and the service provider beside it! this is very random. Its like the old standby screen without the widgets and the dialpad has been moved to the right hand shortcut key.....
n97.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have just updated to V2.0 and all seems to be working very well and I am happy with the improvements although I never experienced any real issues before BUT I only have 26mb free on my C drive. i had about 40mb before and thought I would get more after the update. I dont use any of the apps that use up space such as Contacts and I have cleared my browser cache. I can see no large files using the file manager but I am sure there must be hidden files that I cant see. I havent done any resets of any type as I dont want to have to reload any data if not needed.
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

'My home screen widgets disappeared all i got is the old nokia n95 8gb standby screen' 

Really? Wow, Cool - I kinda prefer the sold screen, it had more info on it than the 5 'wdigets' on the N97.

In anycase - try changing your theme to the Nokia Default and see if that changes it back to the widgets one. 

OR maybe even simpler......

Maybe just swipe your finger from left to right to bring back the widgets back (that is a privacy feature)!!! 

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

re only ending up with the 20 mb of c memory after V2 update - I had the same, was advised by pyschomania from here to do a hard reset (after backup). I did so and my C memory then showed 45mb - give it a go,

My update was seamless, lost no data, worked well and like my phone even more now!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks, I am nervous about doing a hard reset as I dont want to break my phone, I also am not sure what exactly I will lose. However, I do have a problem since updating as my PC no longer is detecting my phone via usb, has anyone else had this problem after update. Does a reset fix this as well?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have received a mail from Nokia care center saying that for my product code 0587488 at present update will be available from NCC only. Please find the mail as follows

"Dear Sir,      

Thank you for e-mailing Nokia Care.

This e-mail is in reference to the software upgrade for Nokia N97. We appreciate your interest in Nokia products. The latest software (firmware) version available for this phone is v.2.0 currently not available on website. Please key in *#0000# on your phone in standby mode, in order to check the software version of your phone. We have noted your feedback regarding the firmware version on our website. Please be assured that your feedback is valued and we endeavour to address any suggestion that may be raised by our customers. We have forwarded your suggestion to our Customer Feedback Division for their due consideration.

However, if you wish to upgrade the software of the phone, we request you to kindly visit a Nokia Care Centre for further assistance.

Before submitting your phone at the Nokia Care Centre, you may kindly take a backup of the phone contacts data to the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card. If the phone supports memory card, take a back up of contacts, messages, images, clips etc. on to the memory card or on to the PC. Back up can be taken, provided the phone is in “Power ON” condition. The technicians at the Nokia Care Centre and Nokia India would not be responsible for the loss of data during the repair process.

We request you to take along the proof of purchase/receipt of your phone when visiting the Nokia Care Centre.

For location of a Nokia Care Centre nearest to you, kindly access the following web link:

http://www.nokia.co.in/A4536241    

Please use plain text.
Advisor

can Nokia or some one with the same product code (0587488) confirm the mail sent by the Nokia care centre.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I don't know what you want to know exactly.

If you want to know if it is possible to update your phone by web, you can find the answer here:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-upda...

(It's the same you got from the NCC.)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
harrios

I don't know what you want to know exactly.

If you want to know if it is possible to update your phone by web, you can find the answer here:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-upda...

went to that link put my number in and it says the latest version for my phone 0587240  is v11. which is stupid because ive been on v 12 for two weeks. nokia sort it out, its a shambles.

all those kudos you've got don't make you god
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

harrios wrote:

went to that link put my number in and it says the latest version for my phone 0587240  is v11. which is stupid because ive been on v 12 for two weeks. nokia sort it out, its a shambles.

Well, you're right!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Ioriot,

i have asked for new update not available for my product code in india & where as the other product codes for India V2 is available. But they have replied me which i have pasted here. My query is they say new firmware is available only in NCC, why not through OVI suite or NSU? Then if it is available through NCC, do they change my product code & update it, which even i can do it, but i dont want to do it in that way. And my query is in India why the update is available to one product code & not to the other one. Here we dont have service provider based handsets like in othr countries.

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

"Maybe just swipe your finger from left to right to bring back the widgets back (that is a privacy feature)!!! "

I can't. its literally the old format

n97.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thank you. I removed the widgets from the Home Screen and I have now been able to do a Hard Reset. That's solved my inability to make and receive calls. I'm now restoring from my Back-up so I'm hoping everything will be fine now. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
devshiv

Hi Sathpill

I am in India with the same product code for my N97 and I had done the FW up-gardation long ago with no hassle using NSU.

Prior to FW up-gradation, I ensured that Nokia Software Updater (NSU) installed in my PC was up-graded to the latest version.

Do ensure you have v1.8.10en version of NSU installed in your PC.

Just try it out, I am sure you will succeed

Rgds

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi Devshiv,

coem on, iam trying atleast 4 to 5 times daily to see for any updates since from Oct1st in the latest NSU only. Also i do check in Nokia website for my product code ( 0587488). But so for no updates. But i dont know how coem you were able to update. Mirracle.

Is there any one else with the same product got upgraded at home using NSU or Ovi suite. Plz confirm us.

Or NOKIA People have to confirm this.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Do people still really want this firmware after all the damage it's caused to users phones? Do people read what's in these threads? I am amazed that anyone wants to risk it after all our problems.

Nokia - not connecting people!! As some phones don't work after advised upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But compare your few complainers with genuine errors, to the multitude of people who successfully upgraded and are reasonably happy. Some of the complainers here didnt even back up their data then are shocked when they lose it? Sigh.. I am by no means saying nokia has it right but there are users who get it wrong too.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I for one did everything according to the book. I used NSU as advised, I backed up, and I still have no working phone.

I even did a soft, then hard reset and restored the backup to no avail. Don't blame this on users. Many owners could not be expected to have the knowledge, skill or time to do these things. A phone should work as advertised, from opening the box, the same can be said of an advised firmware update.

It seems some peoples phones work OK after the update - some do not, this should not be a lucky dip scenario.

Please use plain text.