Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97mini software update 2.0

error408

Re: Nokia N97 software update 2.0

would you please tell me hou bigh is the update fiel for N97, when i started downloading it shows that the file size is 139.7m, now it reach 533.3m and still downloading, whats up

Please use plain text.
Sage
tankslappa

TonyEnglish wrote:

After having issues with my n97 from day 1, I was advised by 3 to upgrade to the latest firmware for the phone. My original problem was that often the phone would not aswer - you could not slide to pick up and using bthe unlock switch on the side unlocked the screen but you could still not pick up - very annoying and meant that the phone could not do it's primary task - that of beinga  phone. I think I lost about 30% of my calls.  I've updated the sw and the whole thing is worse now.  I simply can't control the screen now.  Everything I touch causes the screen to randomly scroll.  This phone is a very expensive joke and probably the last Nokia I'll ever buy.

As you are in the UK I would go back to 3, quote the trade descriptions act "Unfit for purpose" and demand a refund. Don't let them fob you off by blaming Nokia. Your contract of sale is with 3. You bought the phone from them to use as a phone. It does not work reliably. Either demand a replacement N97 or, as I would be inclined to do, demand a completely different handset. If you have allowed them to attempt to resolve this issue on several occasions you would be perfectly entitled to demand a full refund and cancel your contract with no penalty. If they ummm and errr just say "I shall be reporting you to trading standards and TV watchdog". No company likes that kind of publicity. Hopefully if enough people do this, Nokia might notice and do something about the pitiful N97 firmware. In the UK it's even worse as firmware updates are delayed first by some unknown UK country variant authoriser, and then by the networks themselves.
Please use plain text.
afrang

I updated to Firmware V2.0 yesterday too. Exactly the same thing happened to me, I cannot make or receive calls:smileymad:
Please use plain text.
Sage

Don't get too excited, people...

This is version 2.0 of the firmware for the N97.

I recently installed version 30.xxx(!) having gone through versions 10, 12,  21 etc... and they were all **bleep** - phone still buggy, slow and basically unreliable.

Nokia has unfortunately yet to realise that it has too many products and each with too short a shelf-life. The N97 was supposed to be the phone that answered the iPhone, but already they've dropped that for the X6, and now there's a N8 in the wings and a C5... Need I go on?

Nokia is like a petulant child in a candy store - it cannot make up its mind which direction to go and so it goes in all directions - and never successfully completes any one journey.

Look at Apple. They have made ONE product (albeit with a few memory size options, and a recently improved processor speed) and yes, it does have a few very minor foibles making it 'different' to what we are used to with Nokia, but it works and it works really quite well.

Plus, I get the impression that Nokia is using cheap Indian labour to develop the firmware for their products these days. Have managed teams of such developers, I can tell you what a nightmare for quality control that is. Employee-loyalty is rare - the moment someone down the road offers 1 rupee a week more, they're off. Therefore, staff turnover is high and you're constantly retraining. As my dad always used to say:- Nothing's cheap if it doesn't do the job.

Nokia has lost its pole position to Apple, the financial statements of each company spells this out loud and clear.

So, sorry Nokia. You've lost me as a long, loyal customer (17 years of repeat business), but you dropped me first when pushed your poorly-tested, underperforming handset on me and expected me to take it lying down.

Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
------------------------------------
Nokia: Connecting People... with iPhones.
Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

@iannicholson Didn't know V 30.xxx was available, tell us more about it. My N97 is away for repairs 3 days after receiving it back from Nokia pretty sad in my view.
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Sorry for confusion - version 30.033 is for my N96.

Not a major update. Apparently a few bug fixes (but it still takes a full minute to load my contacts!) and a pathetic 'shishing' sound when you open or close the slider.

I don't know why they bothered...

Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nokiabear

Sad to say, I have got so fed up waiting for "3" to approve the latest software updates that I've taken the plunge and bought an HTC Desire - and never looked back.  

I've kept my N97 as a back-up and have put a "3" pay-as-you-go SIM card in it (the phone is locked to that network).  But I'm unlikely to use it much more.  The Android phone has my vote.   It has a superb screen, fast operation and does everything I want WITHOUT any annoying crashes, freezes and other glitches that bedevil the N97 and receive regular comment on this forum.  And I get automatic alerts of any updates of the (mostly free) programmes that I have downloaded.  Whilst Android's The Market may not be as extensive as Apple's Apps, it has a lot more to offer that Symbian's Ovi store and is easier to use.

So farewell Nokia and Symbian ....

Please use plain text.
Sage

I absolutely don't blame you!

This whole idea of network provider approval of firmware updates is totally ludicrous! It's like saying I cannot upgrade Windows on my PC unless my ISP approves it first. Utter **bleep**.

I don't know of ANY OTHER phone manufacturer that does this! If a phone has features that are critical to a particular carrier, then they should be separate from the main OS and managed BY the carrier, not the phone manufacturer.

This is a key reason why Nokia has lost so many customers in the past year - myself one of them - being sick and tired of waiting for a firmware update when even the CARRIER wasn't aware it needed their approval!

Case in point - My Nokia N96 is still stuck on 12.073 for Australian customers on Optus, yet this version is full of bugs. I made numerous calls to Optus and Nokia and just kept going around in circles. Nokia said Optus had to approve the upgrade. Optus (and I spoke to someone in their Senior Engineer's Department) knew nothing of this and didn't know what to do - because Nokia hadn't told them!

In the end, I went to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) and filed a complaint. Within the hour I had Optus calling to offer me a whole new phone - which I so gladly accepted (a non-Nokia phone with 32GB memory - you figure which!).

That was seven months ago, and I haven't looked back. 

I recently looked in on the N96 page and they're STILL offering 12.043 to Asia-Pac customers when the rest of the world is on 30.033. Nokia has truly abandoned N96 customers! That's a full 18 months now since the last firmware update, and there have been two major releases worldwide since.

Appalling.

Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

What? Symbian ^3 is already available on N97???

is this correct?

it's more than 8 months since last V2.0 update was floated. this means, N97 must be a very stable device now. I hope everyone agrees with me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
destiny777

Re: Nokia N97mini software update 2.0

Hi,

I tried to update my software through the mobile but it doesnt work, even in the computer. Would you pls help me bcoz I dont know what to do.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.