Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia's Future,

Advisor
teko5

Nokia's Future,

At the beginning i would like to introduce myself for those who would like to read this post, am a very loyal nokia user although what ios & android have reached till now as all followers know and have seen like the new iphone5.
OK, we are happy to see that nokia is producing a lot of devices to meet all people's expectations, and also phones like N8 with fantastic camera and flash, also the recent phones like 700 600 with NFC technology and symbian belle.

I'm mentioning all this because of what am going to say, So you don't think that am an apple or android fan and am here just to criticize and make fun of nokia,

Till when, users should be patient about the issues with each new device. just for example, the N8 when you decided to release a device like they call it the best mobile phone camera, can you tell me why the night pics & videos are a dissgrace on this phone.

Till when users should be patient about this weird system of going forward then wasting what you made. just for example, zenon flash can you plz tell me what's really wrong with you why don't you keep it in all your devices at least in your Nseries.

Till when users should be patient about waiting for a loooooooooooong time to get a new device with at leeeeast 1 GHz proccessor or 1 GB RAM, (thanks God just recently)
Till when users shoud be patient about  A company spending 40 million a week on R&D could not fix the date/alarm bug in the E50 which meant that the bloody alarm never went off on a Monday morning and needed to be reset? Seriously, 40 million a week? What the hell were they doing?

I really do want to love the N8 but you only have to use it for ten minutes and you want to drop it in a crusher. Read the Nokia forums - the number of posts from frustrated, angry customers is frightening. Nokia has ended up making too many similar phones with the new **bleep** confusing names without concentrating on three or four core models. They've produced too many turkeys that in their heart of hearts they must know are **bleep**

And the list won't has an end, At the end i want to say that i spent these few minutes writing this post because i do care about the future of this big company and i would like to see it standing up against all it's competitors, and i hope to see a real awesome stuff at the coming Nokia World.

So hopefully any of nokia's management or if anyone can deliver this to them, try to listen more carefully to your consumers, cause companies are nothing without people to buy their products.

I thank you very much for reading this and i apologize for taking too long.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
esr86

Must be very hard to be an engineer at Nokia.

They work a lot developing fantastic hardware and (more or less) stable software, meanwhile, their chiefs decide to develop one new phone per week with one diferent name for it and diferent name for its OS. The customers are going to be crazy.

Even now, they choose the operating system with smaller market share: Windows Mobile. And, at the same time, they publish new version of Symbian (Anna) for some phones (not for all) and announce another new version soon (Belle).

Is there any sane manager at Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
domble

Well, if you're dropping your N8 in the bin, drop it my way.  My wife is ready to chuck out her iPhone and needs something decent. :smileytongue:

Old iPhone 3G, but less stable and less capable than the N8, and the N8 is getting better with each update.

dom.

p.s. why aren't sleeping screen, bubbles,  bigscreen, and so on installed as standard? You may have a point about some of Nokia's management.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
esr86

No thanks :smileywink:

I'm more or less happy with my new N8 (although Exchange connection doesn't work since upgrade to Anna), but I do not understand the leaders of Nokia.

It would be better to have a small group of smartphones and make a continuous improvement of them. What would you think if you could not install Symbian Belle on your N8? Have you tried to find one cover for your Nokia's Phone?

I dare to make a few suggestions:

1. Small group of smartphones: I see 3 options:

- nPhone (the standar). Like N8. 12mpx

- nPhone mini (Cheaper). 8mpx

- And nPhone "Touch & Type" (with keyboard). Like E7. 8mpx

2. Minimal variations of them (memory 16 or 32Gb) like iPhone.

3. Easy name Policy (like iPhone). nPhone 1, nPhone 2, nPhone 3, etc..  5800, N900, N8, N9, N86, C6, C6-01, X series, E series, and now 500, 600, 700, 701, Nokia is going crazy customers!

4. Easy name policy for OS: Symbian 1, Symbian 2, Symbian 3, etc...The people can not remember Symbian S60 3th, 5th, Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, .... Ask people: What version of Symbian have you in your Nokia's phone? Few people will tell you. Try with iPhone owners: they now if their phone have IOS 3, IOS 4.

There are more suggestions, but I have to go.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
domble

(teko5 was ready to crush his N8... funny, usenet had threading sorted out decades ago (my first usenet post was in 1990... anyway...).

esr86 - Yep, nothing for me to disagree with there!  Apple seem to make *one* phone at a time. 

Must be really hard for nokia's software engineers to keep up.  So many slightly different models, but there isn't a 'one size fits all' solution... not sure how you can solve that.  Apart from the approach of 'like it or lump it', which apple get away with, somehow.

Right, must go wash my keyboard. Typed the 'A' word far too many times now!

Dom.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
teko5

esr86- I totally agree with you, i believe that there are a lot of brilliant thoughts that can save & improve nokia's current situation like the few you mentioned.

domble- As i see you left all what am talking about and focused on just the part of dropping my N8:smileyhappy: don't worry am not insane and sorry for not helping:smileywink:ng

I meant from what i said before that it's ok there's nothing perfect but we all should be seeking it as much as we can, and that's what global companies are aiming for.

And once more i wish that the coming nokia world will come up with new & interesting news.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

LOL, Nobody would buy a phone by just looking at its model number.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

For your original post:

1. N8's night photos and videos, are well, subjective. If you dont like the processing, you can change the settings. The N8's method is to do as little processing as possible. Phone's from other phones may have more "vibrant" color in night pictures, but they lack detail. You could set up your phone to be like that if you want, or do the color processing on a PC.

2. Xenon flash cannot be used as flashlight, and is more expensive than LED. It also cannot be used for a video assist light. So it would better if not all devices have this IMO. Some people might want the video assist light better than Xenon flash.

3. The numbers Android and iOS churns out regarding processors and RAM are only applicable to them and not Symbian. I have handled both N8 and a Samsung Galaxy SL (1Ghz 640mb total RAM), and the speed isnt much different. Symbian is lighter on resources, and Android has more bling. Basically its like comparing XP to Vista.

-Maybe its just me, but I usually know a lot about the phone I'm going to buy before I buy it. Nowadays, its not going to cut it to just go to a store and ask whats the best available. With all the technology today and possible issues each model may have due to the manufacturers trying to make them as high tech as possible, one should do research before buying. Read several review sites, look at forums for possible problems you may encounter and if there are ways to fix them.

For your suggestions:

1. reducing the number of phones will also reduce the choices of people who vote with their wallets. Its pointless trying to emulate the iPhone simply because they dont care if you cant afford the damn thing, its would be just too bad for you. Nokia churns out many units because some may want features of the higher end units but cant afford them. So they mix and match high end features with low end ones for their mid to low tier smartphones.

By your suggestion, there would only be 3 symbian smartphones in existence: The N8, the E7 and the C7. But what if I cannot afford either of the 3, but wanted a Symbian^3? Thats where C6-01 comes in. What if I cant afford an E7 but wanted the 4inch screen (you get X7), or its too expensive but you want a touch and type (go E6). Nokia caters to a bigger audience than Apple does.

2. Again, you cant go minimal variations because Nokia looks at the market from top (high end) to bottom (dirt cheap). They want to provide smartphones across the range, which is shy s60v5 still exists (its the cheapest smartphone OS they have). Having minimal variations will only stack the phones up at the higher range.

3. Easy name policy. The 5800 was a carry over from the ancient naming policy of Nokia dating from the ages of the 3310 and before. It was supposed to be replaced by the N,C,X,E series names, but they suddenly churned out confusing anmes by adding -01s and -02s, etc. The new naming schemes is easier. Basically the first digit (the 7 in 701 for exampe) determines the feature level/series of the phone on release, (a 9series would be their flagships, and a 1series would be the cheapest most basic phones). the next two digits are just identifiers.

4. Easy naming policy. They will be naming their software female names from now on, and also have their numbers. Kinda like Android. 2.3 = ginger bread and 4.0=ice cream sandwich, while Symbian has 2.0=Anna and 3.0=Belle.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

"nPhone (the standar). Like N8. 12mpx" Lol! Megapixels! The MOST important feature for COMMUNICATIONS! Come on - you have a camera with additional function: buggyphone! Better will be: "nPhone (luxury. Like N8) 100 mpx. Less than 10 hard resets per week, 10 freezes a day" :-)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Recent activity in the court rooms suggest Samsung are in serious danger of loosing a hell of a lot of money. You can read all about it HERE  and  HERE.

It's a good job I never rated my SGS very highly so if Apple are fully successful I will at least get  £400 back from Samsung or a new phone from Virgin Mobile (fingers crossed).

At least Nokia can't be accused of blatant design copying (apart from the Belle GUI) and do actually produce some unique and good looking handsets.

Cheers

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
teko5

First of all i want to say am not just criticizing without information, all problems that i mentioned i brought it from a lot of forums and websites from really angry users, Personaly about 15 peolpe i know them they turned from using nokia phones to iphone & samsung, So we can't ignore the fact that undoubtedly nokia is suffering now.

Once more to make it clear am very happy with my N8, and it's really a good device with symbian anna and the coming belle, but let me ask you why there's always a problem somewhere, why nokia's users should feel like they are lower than the other brands users, they are coming at the second or third place unlike the golden age.

Now let my reply on your post,
1. About the night shots, i was refering more to "night video", ok am not expert to argue with you on this but the colours get mixed toghether and pixelated in night shot, without enough light source like i said before an old TV strugling to get signal, you are talking about settings adjustment, any recommendations are welcome:smileyhappy:.

2. You are saying "Xenon flash cannot be used as flashlight, and is more expensive than LED" can you tell me if you are right how many nokia devices has Xenon!!?? it's only about 2 phones if it's about money why there's no more, of course you know the problem that all smartphones batteries are facing because of the high consumption, so a video assist light at the meanwhile won't be possible.

3. On this point i agree with you because symbian is lighter, but it would be smoother, better in use and whatever this can't last forever.

About my suggestions:
1. I love and support this very effevtive strategy on market share, but i meant nokia is exaggerating in producing countless phones, you should balance between all your plans not just on one path, i won't explain more just i want you to check iphone 5 concept features then, tell me with what device nokia is intending to compete with this!!

2. I can totally say that about 90% or more of nokia users do not know anything about the new names, at least when you want to make such weird thing like this you have to inform your coustmers what does it mean, "thanks to you for explanation":smileyhappy:

At last, there is no company will stay on the right track without users reviews, and this's what i hope that nokia is doing.

Best regards for my favorite company

Please use plain text.
Advisor
teko5

rayhipkiss: It's the first time to know this!!, but it's a littile bit weird action from apple, cause it's a big company it shoul better concentrate on innovation not complaining like kids:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Apple have taken this action because they have lost market share big time in Europe. They simply can't compete with a device (Galaxy S) that's so customisable. My own SGS is running the latest version of Android (2.3.5 JVS) which was made possible by a group of developers that got their hands on a leaked firmware. The Galaxy range is a developers dream because of the freedom it allows to customize the firmwares. As a result, more people are likely to buy a Galaxy than an iPhone, not to mention it's half the price.

Ray.
Please use plain text.

Perfect answer by .. chanchan05. 

however I Personaly  feel that Nokis should have consider the 1 GHZ Processor and touch quality on its phone.. OVI was also going far better and they stopped it. 

and i bet if Nokia put their Symbian on any 1 Ghz Process hardwared phone no other phone can beat it. and it will be prove when Nokia 500, 700 will launched. 

Tha stability of symbian is far better then other Os's its test in a past long term (more then 10 years) and other OS are just growing up 

I am still looking a E7 with 1 GHZ process hardware and symbian Belle or later version of it . .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Android is winning because its like, the best of both worlds, its very customizeable like Symbian, but has all the bling of Apple. That simple.

Apple has large market share because of advertising. Nokia ads are few.

The only reason Nokia got so left behind was they trashed the old development roadmap when they changed CEO's (they were supposed to go MeeGo, not WP7), and it turned off a lot of developers, so apps stopped coming. Then there was the internal issue on what would happen to Symbian. This is indeed a low point in the history of Nokia as a company, but things would move forward.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Extreme_farabi

Hahaha....awesome..Dudes!....i read all...bt i can still say Nokia is the 'Best'
i wish N9 make a Bang...!
Andd abt WP7....i am still waiting Only 2 c its Features!...(Nokia got Best Hardware...and android Got Best apps....now its up 2 u....bt....dude....:smileytongue:....nokia is also getting Some Boost Apps....after NFC....i bet!......and a request 4 developers plz...help Nokia by enriching its Apps quantity....owthherwise it wudnt b able 2 fight against....apple....android......:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

Interesting that nobody has complained about the primary function.  Remember, it's a TELEPHONE!  It isn't a camera, a video camera or a web browser, but a telephone.  The camera is better than the average cheap point and click digital camera, the video quality is better than a cheap camcorder but the audio quality on phone calls is vastly superior to that on an iPhone.  Can you make and receive telephone calls?  Can you understand what the other person is saying or is the audio muffled or they sound like they have their head in a bucket (in which case they are probably using a Samsung if the audio quality from the one my daughter had is anything to go by)?  The answer is yes, it does what it was designed to do.  Something Nokia do not appear to have forgotten unlike other manufacturers.

If you want to take good quality photoraphs, buy a DSLR, if you want to take decent video, buy a good quality video camera.  If you want something to use for the odd snapshot, use your phone but don't expect perfect results under anything other than perfectly lighting.

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

[ Edited ]

People are now buying convergent phone, keep connecting people in different aspects.  Therefore iphone and Android have both successfully yield a lot of market share from Nokia in the past several years.

Nokia's future is rely on how many people will continue to buy its phone.  Apple is likely to release a low end iphone into developing countries.  This is what Nokia just remain.  I don't see Belle upgrade will reserve the existing Symbian user nor the Microsoft phone will attract a lot Symbian user to switch to.  Nokia wish Q3 result and the coming Windows phone will stop the market drop.  I just wish Nokia CEO will give Nokia a new direction.

angler
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Gilbertd wrote:

Interesting that nobody has complained about the primary function.  Remember, it's a TELEPHONE!  It isn't a camera, a video camera or a web browser, but a telephone.  The camera is better than the average cheap point and click digital camera, the video quality is better than a cheap camcorder but the audio quality on phone calls is vastly superior to that on an iPhone.  Can you make and receive telephone calls?  Can you understand what the other person is saying or is the audio muffled or they sound like they have their head in a bucket (in which case they are probably using a Samsung if the audio quality from the one my daughter had is anything to go by)?  The answer is yes, it does what it was designed to do.  Something Nokia do not appear to have forgotten unlike other manufacturers.

If you want to take good quality photoraphs, buy a DSLR, if you want to take decent video, buy a good quality video camera.  If you want something to use for the odd snapshot, use your phone but don't expect perfect results under anything other than perfectly lighting.

I tend to agree, and for me text messaging is important which the N8 does very well.

However, more and more people expect more from a touch screen mobile phone these days and seem to think they should be as powerful as a computer.

My first PC had 64 Megabytes of RAM, a 166 MHz CPU and a 2 Gigabyte HDD. Compare that to the N8's 256 Mb RAM, 680 MHz CPU and 16 GB inbuilt storage and it's easy to see why people think their mobile phones are portable computers and expect them to be able to do more than just make and receive calls and texts.

Cheers

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

For me, Nokia's direction of going toward windows phone instead of either Meego or from my they point, develop symbian further would be great. Symbian is a wonderful OS and Nokia's idea of trying to bury its longstanding OS in such a cheap way hurts... :-( I'd still prefer symbian and the recent updates to symbian 3 namely Anna and the upcoming belle are great... Too bad symbian is going to be buried under...
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.