Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PR 1.1 Orientation

Counsellor
lnx64

PR 1.1 Orientation

Ugh, another PR 1.1 problem.  It sometimes out of the clear blue, thinks I am holding the phone as portrait when infact I'm holding it as landscape, and I have to then shake it hard to get it to go back to landscape.

I'm cussing at this phone at this point, it cost me an arm and a leg to buy, and it SUCKS worse now.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

I am still on PR1.0 but what Inx64 says is one of the many problems with my phone. Quite often when I am in portrait mode the phone without warning changes to landscape mode and then the only way I can get it back is to shake it all over the place. I have had so many problems with this phone that I have gone back to my trustee X6.

At the present time I have not had the update to PR1.1 and I am seriously considering complaining about this phone to:

1. The Office of Consumer and Business Affairs.

2. The ACCC

3. The Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Nokia I want my money back as this phone is not fit for purpose.

My recommendation after three months of ownership is do not buy an N8 or any Symbian 3 device.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

And yet on balance, before and after the update i have no issues with my n8 model, and dont want my money back, and wont be complaining to the three bodies you have listed, and obviously researched.
Nokia n8.
iphone 5 16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

Saying that does nothing but just anger me. So you don't have a problem, good for you.

But those of us that do wasted big bucks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So, tonight my N8 advised me there's an update. I let it perform it (Pr1.1) and suddenly the orientation sensor quit working. Having found this thread, if I shake the phone vigorously it can be made to go landscape again, but if I turn it portrait it won't go back to landscape without a good shake, which is just ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Contacted customer service on my N8-00 orientation sensor no longer working after PR1.1.

Their solution?

Turn the phone off and remove the battery for 30 seconds.

Reinstall the update.

...uh, not getting warm fuzzies on Nokia's support here.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
helot

I did not find a reference in the manual, is there a way to switch it off?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

Remove the battery? But Nokia says you can't. lol That's terrible customer service.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

You can't remove the battery on the N8 but you can simulate a reboot by pressing and holding the power key for around 8 seconds until the phone buzzez 3 times in quick succession. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

Yes, but why would Nokia customer support say remove battery, and not that?

Clearly not trained for the job correctly.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Because that is the standard rebooting procedure for all the other phones. They are probably so used to saying that and they forget that the N8 and now the E7 are different. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

I work as a CSR for a living, it's still bad cause from what they did tell him to do, if he didn't know any better, he may have tried to actually remove the battery and then void the warranty.

Either way, they did screw up pretty bad here.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yes, you can switch off the orientation sensor.

Settings->Phone->Sensor Settings->Sensors.

Under "Turning control" you can also select what the sensor controls (Silence calls, Snooze, Auto-rotate."

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I put my N8 in my Otterbox case, and gave it a couple of good jolts. (Don't ask.) Now the orientation sensor appears to work again :-o

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SpecK73

It's unfortunate that some people are having a bad time with the portrait/landscape function on their phones. I've experienced no problems myself either before or after PR 1.1.

Rather than contacting various government/consumer channels to progress your problem, I suggest that you front up at a Nokia Care Centre, demonstrate the problem and ask for the fault to be fixed. It sounds to me like it's hardware related. There should certainly be no need for you to shake the phone vigorously. This surely won't do it any good in the long run.

Keep in mind that Nokia has sold perhaps 5 million N8s around the world and that the problem that you are describing is not endemic. It's never fun to be the one who ends up with a faulty device but that's why you have a warranty. Take them up on it!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

There is no Nokia Care Center in Florida, and I'm sorry, but giving my phone off for 2 weeks is unacceptable.

Plain and simple, I know it's not a hardware problem, because accelerometer apps prove that the sensor works exactly as planned, but the phones firmware just doesn't know what to do when the phone is held at some angles, namely, in landscape, but a little on the flat side..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SpecK73

If you can't get to a Nokia Care Centre then go back to the place where you purchased it.

If the problem was with the firmware then it would be affecting me and millions of other users.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lnx64

You have to understand where I'm coming from, I develop software and am a programmer, but also work as customer service as a troubleshooting tech.

The accelerometer works fine, as has been viewed, it doesn't get "stuck", but it's the general angle that the phone is held at. If it's a little on the flat side, the firmware can't decide, if the phone is bumped at all, weather it should be in portrait or landscape and at times gets confused.

Sorry but I don't buy that. Considering that the purchase is from New Egg and means I have to PAY to return the phone, when I know for a fact after countless hours of debugging the phone, that it IS in fact a firmware issue.

I'm at the point that, Symbian is dead, and should be kicked to death, and that even buying a Symbian phone was a massive mistake and a huge waste of money.

And for the excuse that is thrown all the time "not every who owns the phone complains", that's not a good one. Once again, I work in CSR, and most people don't even know how to navigate a forum, let alone even know they see a bug and just live with it. That is why more people with a sharp eye see these things, and when your like me, someone who works in developing software and talks to customers from around the world every day, you can easily bet that I have diagnosed the phone to death, and when I say it's firmware, I know it's firmware.

This is probably my last visit here.. The people trying to support this forum come up with excuses and are far too defensive.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

For your information, the people who "support" this forum are all Nokia users. This is a user to user forum and Nokia participation here is minimal. If you wish to make a point to Nokia then you should use the "Contact us" tab to the top right of this screen.

Since you work in developing software, you more than most should accept the fact that if it is a firmware issue, every phone using Pr1.1, mine included, should be experiencing the same issues as yours. Many of the regulars in this forum have the same phone and none have noticed the same problem with their phones. How can this be if it is as claim a firmware issue? Do our phones use a different firmware to yours? BTW, these guys all know their way around this forum so if there is problem, they won't be long posting it here.

There does seem to be an issue with your phone but it is quite definitely an isolated incident. As with anything you buy these days, there is always a chance of getting a "Monday morning" unit. Your options when this happens is to contact the retailer or manufacturer. 

Please use plain text.