Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Post your N97 bugs here

Mobile Guru

Post your N97 bugs here

There was a similar thread started a while ago for the Nokia 5800, thought it might be a good idea to start one for the N97. Maybe this one could be limited to just problems and actual proven solutions rather than discussions on individual problems?

So far on an RM-505 running 10.0.012 (.209.03):

• Backlight/keylock: Using unlock slider switch sometimes unlocks screen, illuminates menu, green pickup and red hangup buttons and activates the screen but fails to activate the screen back light. Locking then unlocking with the slide switch works around this.
  • Contacts: Cannot set "default" numbers on some contacts transfered using sync. Contact -> Open -> Default returns to list of contacts instead of opening "default assign" dialog
  • Contacts: No option to send business cards via message/email/bluetooth. Can still send via MMS when attaching business card as an attachment, but this is done in messages app, not in contacts
  • Camera: After deleting a photo that has just been taken, camera locks up. Need to power cycle to use camera app again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

RM-507 running 10.0.012 (.209.03)

- GPS polling will sometimes cause the phone restart or lock up example accuwheather (current location).

- Digital compass calibration in maps apps while auto rotation (sensor) is on is almost impossible while slider is closed and in portrait mode.

also already stated cpitchford's  Backlight/keylock

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

• Maps: Digital compass doesn't seem to work at all in landscape mode only in portrait mode. (Surely just rotating the calculated bearing by 90 degrees would be enough?)
  • Maps: No GPS / satelite info
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

3G SIGNAL IS POOR RECEPTION COMPARED WITH THE NOKIA 5800.:manmad:

5800- 5 BARS

N97 - 3 BARS SIGNAL

5800- 3 BARS

N97- 1 BAR OR LESS

CAN'T DELETE BOINGO access point as its protected.. V annoying.

Web browsing keeps defaulting to full screen with each new page, have to manually turn full screen off to see if web page status is loading as like the 5800 browsing experience is slow and mostly non responsive must hit link several times , harder each time (although pressure doesn't seem to be the issue, I think its just idle.)

No option for screen to remain on, it goes blank after 60 seconds regardless so cannot watch the screen without constantly pressing the menu key to revive display

Some widgets such as weather and news don't update without firing up the full version and hitting refresh inside the app which makes them pointless.

Phone didn't drop internet connection for 3 hrs despite closing browser which zapped my battery. Had to put Connection manager on a quick launch icon to keep checking to make sure its closed after use.

Profile selection shortcut on home screen to big and keeps changing profile without realising. Must be catching the large tab somehow. Cannot remove it or shrink,

Annoying how pen is not neatly fitting into rear housing of phone like 5800, got to carry it separate which I wont bother doing.

Music store is usual nightmare to use. Login download a track. It goes to the library. Click on song, it then tries to obtain license. Click on another song and it goes back to music store web page complaining about sessions then wont allow another download to acquire a license till I've messed around for half an hour, nightmare to use.

No Skype!

Electronic compass took about 30 mins to get working then stopped working after about 2 mins. I looked a right idiot waving my phone around the garden trying to calibrate it.

Email and text reader not integrated into Email or SMS message apps.

Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 10:40 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am having problem installing any apps into my N97. All installation halt before reaching 50%...I have hard reset the handset so many times, yet it never works. I have sent back to Nokia centre to reflash my unit, yet the problem remains unresolved. Any advise or suggestion?
Please use plain text.

I get many memory full errors.

Can't access Themes or Photos(the app freezes).

Sometimes it throughs me out of ovi or browser.

Some apps don't open at all.

Phone is slow / sluggish and unpredictable.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

- ALSO THIS AFTERNOON I WAS ON - CALL FOR WORK AND I MISSED 7 PHONE CALLS BECAUSE THE PHONE MADE NO SOUND WHATSOEVER WHEN RUNG. I LOOKED DOWN AT THE SCREEN EVENTUALLY AND IT SAID SOMEONE WAS CALLING. THE PROFILE WAS SET TO GENERAL AND THE RING TONE WAS SET TO FULL VOLUME BUT NO NOISE. AFTER THE CALLS WERE MISSED I CHECKED THE PROFILE SETTINGS AND RESELECTED THE RINGTONE AND MOVED THE VOLUME UP AND DOWN EXPECTING TO HEAR MY MP3 PLAYING AT DIFFERENT VOLUME LEVELS BUT I COULD NOT GET THE AUDIO TO WORK AT ALL. I HAD TO REBOOT THE PHONE AND THEN EVENTUALLY THE RINGER SOUND WORKED AGAIN. NOT VERY GOOD FOR A £500 MOBILE PHONE WHEN PEOPLE CANT EVEN SUCCEED WITH THE BASIC FUNCTION OF CALLING YOU ON IT.

ALSO I RECEIVED A CALL A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO AND I WAS ABLE TO ANSWER AND SPEAK OK BUT THROUGHOUT THE CALL THE PHONE SAID THE NAME OF THE CALLER AND WAS CONSTANTLY FLASHING THEIR NAME AND SAYING CALLING. THIS IS THE VISUAL SEQUENCE YOU NORMALLY GET BEFORE YOU ANSWER THE INCOMING CALL. IT CARRIED ON THROUGHOUT THE CONVERSATION AND REMAINED AFTER I HUNG UP ON THE CALLER MAKING IT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE STILL PHONING ME. I HAD TO POWER OFF THE PHONE TO STOP THIS.  MY PREVIOUS PHONE ,NOKIA 5800 DID THIS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. NOT VERY GOOD!!!

Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:14 PM
Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:15 PM
Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:17 PM
Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

WHEN 3G SIGNAL DROPS BELOW 1 OR ZERO THE PHONE SHOULD QUICKLY SWITCH TO GSM , BUT IT DOES NOT , IT SITS WITH ZERO SIGNAL FOR AGES BEFORE WAITING FOR 1 BAR 3G SIGNAL TO COME BACK OR SOMETIME EVENTUALLY CUTS TO GSM BUT TAKES TOO LONG.
 I'VE RECEIVED WARNINGS REPORTING CALL NOT ALLOWED WHEN DIALING OUT BUT IT DOES DIAL OUT AFTER THE MESSAGE REGARDLESS, POINTLESS.....
 SKYPE ISNT SUPPORT YET. I READ IT SHOULD BE Q3. 
I CANT IDENTIFY ANY WIDGETS ON OVI TO LOAD TO THE N97 HOME SCREEN?
BREATHING LIGHT IS HIDDEN UNDER THE CHROME MENU KEY BUT ONLY LIGHTS UP HALF OF ONE SIDE, ROUND THE HALF OVER END OF THE BUTTON AND 1/4 OF WAY DOWN OPPOSITE SIDE. PREFFERED THE 5800 LIGHT THIS ONE LOOKS CHEAP AND NAFF AND DIDNT EVEN NOTICE IF FOR A DAY OR SO.
 CAMERA PICS I TOOK LOOKED A BIT ORANGEY? BUT DIDNT TEST IF FOR MORE THAN 1-2 PICS IN SAME LIGHTING.
TOUGH DECISSION WHETHER TO KEEP THIS PHONE. HURRY UP NOKIA. WE'VE BOUGHT THE FINAL RELEASE PHONE AND IT LOOKS LIKE THE FIRMWARE WAS ONLY PART COMPLETE AND UNTESTED. WE NEED A QUICK REACTION TO RELEASE AN IMPROVED LESS BUG RIDDEN FIRMWARE.
Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:38 PM
Message Edited by hamishmc on 20-Jun-2009 07:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The problems/bugs I found so far.

1. On Screen Vibration/Tactical feedback feels more like scratching vibration than solid vibe. Really annoying, I like tactical feedback but I had to turn it off after this. Regular Vibration on Calls, Messaging etc works just fine. Is this scratching feeling of tactical feedback common or is just my unit??
  2. Voice Command did not work at all. I had to reset the phone using 7370 in order to get them work. Now it works but only for Apps/Profiles etc, everything but no Contacts dialing.
  3. Speakers are doing an annoying beep after some regular sounds. Examples, short electric beep after SMS tone, the same electric beep is also present after number pressing on dial pad (if you have keypad tones ON in profile.) Is that common to everybody?
  4. Back Up Option in File Manager is only available to microSD. You cannot Back Up in Mass Storage.
  5. Built-in email. Really annoying. Sender and Subject are both show up in the same line the result is you cannot tell either. I have to go Message option in order to get Sender and Subject correctly. Impossible to do that in 10-20 new emails my inbox have every single morning. In the other hand Nokia Messaging looks good, but is worthless as it currently support NO HTML for S60 5th edition.
  6. The new check mark button for easy multiple select available in many places like Pictures is not available in Messaging, so I have to manually delete separately every single SMS from the many I am getting each day. (Yes some keyboard shortcuts are available but still.)
  7. In Facebook App you cannot create New Album in Photos. (This is a facebook issue and not Nokia related, but I like to refer it here as well)
  8. There is no option to Reply via SMS to an MMS. Once you hit reply on MMS a new plain MMS is created with Sublect: RE... You have to delete the subject in order to make your reply SMS.
  9. Installed games lost after 7370 format.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
djonepl

http://share.ovi.com/album/lpiekarski.CAM_TEST

I took some pictures with my camera and found that the flash is too low in the caseing and the light bounces on to the pictures. Take a look at the pics.

N97 White (RM-507) V12.2.024
http://www.n97geeks.com/
Please use plain text.

That's a lot of flare from the flash, hope it's not a bit of a design flaw.  Anything look out of place?, am hoping in a way it's just your handset(sorry:smileyhappy: ) as if that's a standard pic from any N97 it's another big tick in the DO NOT BUY box for me.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
djonepl

The flash seems like its to low in the case, but overall i love the phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

i have created a PHOTO application shortcut on the start page widget short cut bar.

press once - it flashes the main menu page twice before the application starts. 

Exit - bug 1 - closing the application will bring screen to menu not to the main start screen, whereas exiting all other application from the shortcut will exit back to the main screen. 

Exit - bug 2- the menu page right after exiting the application will show 'back' on the right bottom, then press again will then show 'exit'.  therefore it takes 3 clicks total to exit the application. 

Eric from HongKong

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Memory handling.

USB connected : Music player hangs saying USB connected

Music player/Ovi suite. Multiple automatic syncs generates multiple entries in the playlists on the phone (only one source file though)

Memory handling: If file manager or OfficeSuite is running and a new message comes in the message store is reset to C:. You have to manual set it back to E: after shuting the file manager/Office Suite and you lose any messages you had in the meantime. You also then need to restore the emailwidget which will have forgotten which email inbox to use..

Gmail. Selecting Gmail from the running actions list in portrait mode often results in it flashing on screen and then disappearing behind the browser window. This happens multiple times until you can exit (seems to work if you slide out the keyboard and/or switch to landscape mode).

Many more already covered.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Email.

Moving from E71 to N97 so I used email.nokia.com to change my current phone and reload settings. The new application was downloaded. When running it asks for my password and I have to guess which of the N accounts this refers to.

Also if this email app is built in why do I now have two copies of it which don't recognise the existance of each other. ie in the messaging app I can't select the mail boxes installed from email.nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yet another bug.

Ovi.com sync settings. From the Ovi site ask for sync settings to be sent to phone. SMS arrives and is saved. Look at the sync application and the settings are locked to PCSuite. No sign of any Ovi sync function anywhere or what happened to the saved settings. Frustrating as it works fine on the E71. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
djonepl

davidmct wrote:

Yet another bug.

Ovi.com sync settings. From the Ovi site ask for sync settings to be sent to phone. SMS arrives and is saved. Look at the sync application and the settings are locked to PCSuite. No sign of any Ovi sync function anywhere or what happened to the saved settings. Frustrating as it works fine on the E71. 

go to Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Data Transfer -> Sync - Change profile to Ovi.com and sync up :smileyhappy: hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

• In the Italian version, the FM Transmitter does not work more than 30 cm away
  • The free memory is poor, with 4 applications can not use the camera
  • Picture compression ratio too high: with 32GB of space to use there is very large
  • Poor 3G signal  as the first version of 5800
  • Poor WiFi signal : in the 5630 xpress music is more powerful :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for this. Didn't spot this menu option and that ovi was there. Works so long as I only sync the contacts. also seems to send and rx contacts even though I've said to server only.

BR David

Please use plain text.
Contributor

As well as other comments....Alarm

my alarm goes off roughly 2 and a half mintues after the time I've set it for :-s bizarre! it's done it several times, and always 2 and a half minutes out.

Please use plain text.