Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: QT platform is not cross-platform, it will be ...

Counsellor

QT platform is not cross-platform, it will be failed soon in the future !!

I am a N96 user, even now, I do not have any plan to change N96 to any other phone, because my N96 is still working fine.

If N96 is broken in the future, Andriod maybe the next phone.

But it is just "maybe", if Nokia "cares enough" to the older users, I think the next phone will be still the Nokia phone.

KIQ001588 - Nokia N96 not supported by Qt for Symbian

I known N9 / N8 / Symbian^3 / Windows Phone 7 / are the latest phone, but that is not the point I want to say.

Now, I do not have any hope for Nokia will release a QT version for N96 / ARMV5 phone, because I know Nokia will not release a version for ARMV5 phone.

Compiling QT to ARMv5 is as easy as Compiling QT to ARMv6, it even don't need any source code to be changed, just need a compile command, is it so hard for Nokia to do it ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Re: QT platform is not cross-platform, it will be failed soon in the future !!

Even for latest symbian^3 and meego os....qt platform is not as successful as Nokia has expected because mainly it all depends on developers and most of developers/companies either develop apps/games for ios or android
'In God we trust; all others bring data!"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Also expecting manufacturers to support obsolete phones eternally is totally unrealistic, there are no 3 year ols Android phones that will get ICS ?

When you change your phone , get one you're happy with, but whatever make or OS it will only get limited update support, and Nokia are one of the best for long term support for there handsets ! Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi carman58,

I don't agree with your opinion on "obsolete phones", may be the "obsolete phones" is useless to you, but not to us.

If one phone is not used by anyone in the world, then we can call it "obsoleted". But if this is not the case, then the phone is still "useful" and maybe more "popular" than the so called "latest phone"!!

I think Nokia has to change the thoughts on "obsolete" and "latest". Customers can come from "obsolete" not just come from "latest".

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

We have received these comments from the QT team:

"A limited number of older Symbian devices cannot run Qt. A list of Qt compatibility for older Symbian devices is available at: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Nokia_Smart_Installer_for_Symbian#Devices_with_limited...

Currently, there are no plans for Nokia to include Qt for the devices listed on this page as incompatible with Qt.”

There are just two Symbian models which are completely incompatible with Qt, the N96 and the 6650 AT&T variant.Other older models which cannot run version 4.7 can at least use version 4.6.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

fdiscussion wrote:

Hi carman58,

I don't agree with your opinion on "obsolete phones", may be the "obsolete phones" is useless to you, but not to us.

If one phone is not used by anyone in the world, then we can call it "obsoleted". But if this is not the case, then the phone is still "useful" and maybe more "popular" than the so called "latest phone"!!

I think Nokia has to change the thoughts on "obsolete" and "latest". Customers can come from "obsolete" not just come from "latest".

The word "obsolete" in this context means "no longer produced". Just because the phone is still working doesn't mean it will continue to be supported by Nokia or third party developers.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

rayhipkiss wrote:

The word "obsolete" in this context means "no longer produced". Just because the phone is still working doesn't mean it will continue to be supported by Nokia or third party developers.

Maybe it means "no longer produced",

Do you really know what I am talking about ?!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I'm more surprised there's actually someone left that's still using the N96, it was a right dog of a phone in it's day back in 2008, definitely not a keeper.

Regardless of whether you believe it's obsolete or not that model will not be getting QT. It would probably be an impossible task anyway to get QT apps running smoothly on that underpowered model. All development ceased on the N96 long ago, nothing any one says or does will change that now as the team that worked on it have long been broken up and either made redundant or transferred out of Nokia.

From a development point of view the 2008 N96 is obsolete, old, dead, discontinued, finished, over, the end. No amount of complaining or arguing will change that fact.

If you feel cheated by this you are welcome to submit an official complaint through the correct channels (not this forum), purchase another brand or if you still want QT purchase a newer Nokia that supports it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

To psychomania,

1. Your thought, Your words, Your ... are absolutely WRONG.

2. This thread is not a complaint !!!

3. ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

1. Please tell me exactly why i'm wrong? I spoke only the truth, sorry if that hurts.

2. What exactly do you hope to achieve by ignoring everything that's being said to you?

3. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

To psychomania,

I don't want to argue with you for anything, so it will nerver hurt me by what you have said.

My original intention is to help Nokia find a new way, the new way to get more and more customers to buy, to use or to support Nokia's phone !!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Regardless of your intentions its a fact that the N96 will never get QT, end of story.

To release QT for that obsolete 2008 model would be a waste of time, talent and resources.

Nothing you say or do can change this, nokia will not be releasing QT for N96. If you are so desperate for it you should try contacting developers and see if one of them is willing to do it as an open source project.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

fdiscussion wrote:

rayhipkiss wrote:

Maybe it means "no longer produced",

Do you really know what I am talking about ?!

Clearly I don't have a clue what you are talking about if my answer to your previous post is not acceptable to you. Likewise, you haven't got a clue what is being said to you, by me and others in this thread. You obviously will not take no for an answer. So be it, that's your prerogative but having that sort of attitude won't help you any.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.