Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

RM-505 N97 vs. RM-507 N97

paulfernandini

Re: RM-505 N97 vs. RM-507 N97

Hi:

I also live in Peru and here, Claro and Movistar use WCDMA/HSDPA systems in the 850, 1900 Mhz for 3G networks so If you are really interested in high speed downlinking the Nokia N97-3 (Americas) (RM-507) is what you should be looking for. Of course, I strongly recommend that you buy it UNLOCKED as number portability will be effective in Peru from January  2010 !!!

Regards from Lima, Peru

Paul Fernandini Q.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Sorry to interrupt your conversation guys, but could ya please answer the following :

Whats the main difference between RM-505 and RM-507 and what does RM stand for?

Some places I've seen ROM-505, is it the same as RM-505?

How can we check if our phone is RM-505 or RM-507?

Which is better RM-505 or RM-507 and why?

What is NAM?

I'm new to this, so sorry if these questions are too simple. Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.

I'm new to this, so sorry if these questions are too simple. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Basically (as far as know) the main difference are the frecuencies they use to connect to data services with you mobile operator, i mean, depending of the mobile operator you have and the country, you will one of those (rm 505 or 507)

I just bought the RM- 507 (NAM which means "north amerincan") version on amazon and i works just fine whether on phone calls and data access (like internet on the cell phone without connection to a Wifi spot).

The conclusion if you are going to use the phone on america i recommend you to get the 505 if you are in europe get the 507, none of those is better than the other, it is just a fact of "where are you going to use it". But first at all check the frequencys your mobile operator uses for providing GSM and 3G (data services).

Regards

Oriel

Please use plain text.

Hello -  thanks for all the info and recommendations. I'd just like to dig a bit deeper into this if that's OK.

I want to buy an unlocked N97, I'll be using it in N. America with AT&T and UK with T-Mobile (or might move to Virgin or another carrier as I'm out of contract). I'm trying to decide where I should buy (and can get a pretty good deal with a new UK T-Mobile contract.

The differences listed here:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n97/specifications

(I checked here too: http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n97/specifications)

are:

Operating Frequency
  • (RM-505, Global) WCDMA 900/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA, GPRS, A-GPS, WLAN
  • (RM-506, PR China) E-GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS
  • (RM-507, Americas) WCDMA 850/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS, WLAN
  • Automatic switching between GSM bands
  • Flight mode

Data Network
  • GPRS class A, multislot class 32
  • WCDMA maximum speed up to 3.6 Mbps
  • HSDPA maximum speed up to 3.6 Mbps
  • WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g maximum speed up to 11Mbps/54Mbps

From this post it sounds like AT&T requires WCDMA 850 to be fully usable in N. America? Is that because 1900 isn't available everywhere? How bad is the N97 without WCDMA 850 in the USA?

Any ideas why HSDPA & GPRS are listed under Operating Frequency for the RM-505 but not the RM-507 (they are listed under Data Network on both the US and UK Nokia sites)?

Thanks...jw

Please use plain text.

Hi all,

I live in Turkey and i bought an N95-4 (RM421) when i was in Caribbeans. Now its not working under 3G network in Turkey.

I want to buy a new N97 but i want to be sure that it will work under 3G system in Turkey...

Which one should i buy for 3g network support in Turkey.

And is there anything to do for this n95-4 phone to make it work under Turkish 3g system(like firmware change)? Will it work if i try to change it with N95-2(RM-320) one.

Thanks for replies..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

[ Edited ]
Any 3G phone bought in Turkey, Asia, the Middle-East, Africa or Europe will work on Turkish 3G networks.

The reason your N95-4 doesn't work in Turkey is because it's a model specific to North America, where the 3G frequency bands used are different.

Firstly, updating your N95-4 with N95-2 firmware is not possible. Secondly, even if it was possible it wouldn't solve the problem because this is a hardware issue. The hardware of the N95-2 and N95-4 is not the same.
Message Edited by grschinon on 10-Aug-2009 12:13 PM

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

Hi all,

this thread is very interesting for me too because I am thinking about to buy a N97 but I am unsure if the 505 or 507 model is better one in fact that I will use it not only in one region on the world. So up to now I don't have the correct answer to know which is the right one in fact of the 3G frequencies.

As I found out up to right now are this frequencies (not all but some ones)  :

General Europe 2100 Mhz

Turkey 1900+2100 (Turkcell)

Brasil 850+2100 Mhz (TIM Brasil)
    Brasil 1800 Mhz (OI)
    Columbia 850 Mhz (Comcel Colombia)
    Peru 850 Mhz (Movistar)
    Panama 850 Mhz (Cable & Wireless)
    Paraquay 1900 Mhz (Personal)
    Chile 1900 Mhz (ENTEL PCS)
    Uruguay 2100 Mhz (Ancel)
    USA 1900 Mhz (AT&T)
    Canada 2100 Mhz (Rogers)

South Africa 1900 Mhz (Vodacom)

South Africa 2100 Mhz (MTN)

Japon 2100 Mhz (Softbank)

Up to now I don't found any information for Argentina (which is more interesting for me) network operator "PERSONAL / Telecom Argentina" but I guess they use 1900 or 2100 frequency but I am not sure about this. But other important question : I don't have seen any operator working on 900 Mhz frequency - is it not in use or what kind is that ? Maybe it is a combination of 900/2100 and 850/1900 ??

So many people told me to buy the 507/NAM version because it will work as I will use it in Argentina/Chile (maybe in US too) and will work in Germany/Austria with 3G too. Is this right or could I have any problem with the different networks ??Also I got the information that the 505/EU model will not work on all networks in Argentina/Chile but could be working with 3G ?? What should I think about this ??

It is very hard to know that Nokia isn't able to bring out a model which can operate on all 4 3G frequency as the HTC will handle it

Other question is about HSDPA - as one other user had asked this before - because it is not listed well on the Nokia websites. So can the 507/NAM handle HSDPA and for GSM phone the GPRS ?? Or is is only a feature of the 505/Global model ??

thx 4 any more helpful info

Alex

Please use plain text.

Hi again,

up to now every body will tell me that 3G with a US model handy will not work in Europe and a EU model not in US. Sorry but why should this be ?? For example the N97 (RM-507 US/NAM) has 850/1900/2100 frequency. The N97(RM-505 Global/EU) has 900/1900/2100 frequency.

Where should be a difference in the 2100 frequency between both N97 ?? Or is frequency 2100 != 2100 in each one or maybe each has some reserved/blocked part of the 2100 which excludes the other region/continent ??

So, if it will be the same - as I understand it - why should a US model dont"t work in EU or a reverse a EU model in US ?? Maybe I am stupid and don"t understand the technology but for me 2100 = 2100 :smileyhappy:

bye alex

Please use plain text.
Advisor
haritia

[ Edited ]

schef4711,

All of the phones will be able tomake calls whether in europe or the US or other GSM countries. This is because they all are quadband GSM phones.

The issue here is whether you will be able to use the high speed 3G features of the phone. In the US, AT&T run their 3G network on the 850 band and even worse T-Mobile runs on the 700MHz band. Which means that on none of the phones will you be able to use 3G on T-Mobile in the US and only on the RM-507 one will you be able to do 3G (HSDPA) on AT&T.

All the phones will be able to make calls and even do 2.5G (EDGE) internet in the US. In the US,whether you have 2100MHz ability or not in your phone will make no difference to what you get.

I hope this was helpful.

Message Edited by haritia on 20-Aug-2009 01:36 AM
--
h
Please use plain text.
zinio

Hi there,

all these informations were very helpful for me.

But what about warranty?

If I bought NAM model, would warranty be valid outside USA & Canada as well?

Cheers,

ZiNiO

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

No, if you buy a phone in those countries the warranty is only valid in those countries.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am in same delima. I want to buy N97 from India where the product support RM 505, 506 & 507 AND use it in US. Has anyone ever tried this before?

Will N97 from India which is same as N97 from UK supporting RM 505, 506 & 507 work in US?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I think you're getting things horribly confused.

The N97 sold in the UK (and in India) doesn't "support" RM-505, is is RM-505. That's its model number.

It's a quad-band GSM phone, so it'll work on GSM networks in the USA.

RM-505 is also a tri-band 3G phone operating on 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz. If you're in an area where there's 3G coverage on 1900 MHz then you'll also be able to use 3G, but it's 850 MHz that's usually used.

The NAM variant of the N97, RM-507, operates on the 850, 1900 and 2100 bands because 850 and 1900 MHz are the prevalent frequencies in use over there (T-Mobile US uses an oddball freqhency 1700 MHz).

RM-506 is the variant of the N97 made for the Chinese market. It has no WLAN and no 3G at all as requested by the Chinese government.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

• (RM-506, PR China) E-GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS
  • (RM-507, Americas) WCDMA 850/1900/2100, Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, A-GPS, WLAN
  •  

http://www.nokia.co.in/find-products/products/nokia-n97/specifications#hardware-of

Does it means that nokia has published the frequencies just like that? I am not concerned about GSM part as I know N97 being a Quad band phone will work in US however I am most concerned about Data Speeds in paricular 3G.

Please Assist.

Please use plain text.
    Mobile Overlord
    grschinon

I don't understand what's confusing you.

In India, the model sold is RM-505, which operates on 900/1900/2100 MHz.

In the USA, the model sold is RM-507, which operates on 850/1900/2100 MHz.

This is because the frequencies used for 3G are different. In the USA they use 850 and 1900 MHz. In India they use 900 and 2100 MHz.

An RM-505 purchased in India will therefore work in an area in the USA where there's coverage at 1900 MHz because that's one of the frequencies on which it can operate. However, such areas are rare. It's mostly the 850 MHz band that's used in the USA, which means that an RM-505 won't work in such an area.

Please use plain text.
    Registered Member

Here is a really useful link detailing world usage of UMTS bands by operators. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks

I found that the 2100mhz seems to be most widely used.  That 900 seems quite rare - Finland seems to be one of the few in Europe and finally that the 850 band seems to be in use in the Americas, a bit in Asia and Australia, with more operators apparently planning for it. 

My conclusion: if I want to be able to use 3G in as many countries as possible, on one or another of the operators, then having at least the bands for 2100mhz and 850 mhz would be the optimal solution - ie model 3 for NAM. 

Which of course leaves the problem of firmware upgrades - Americas lag behind Europe.

Please use plain text.
    Registered Member
    flyingsebi

I have a N 97 US version. As I am a pilot, I travel the world all the time. I have a N 97 US version. 3 G and 3 G+ (4G) works everywhere in Europe, Africa, Asia etc as operators are not as stupid as AT&T or T-Mobile. They all use one frequency, 2100 that is. In the US, AT&T uses the 850 frequency and T-Mobile 1700 . This mean that only US market phones can access AT&T 4 G, and only phone bought at a T-Mobile shop can access their 4 G network. Once unlocked they can't access AT&T because all they have is that waste of time 1700 frequency.....it's a sort of silly commercial fight in which the consumer looses. There are a few more operators in the US with 4G but only phones purchased in their stores will work on their network. They don't even have a sim card.....they will not work anywhere else but the US...In short the US are way way way but super way behind the rest of the world, and i feel like telling them HELLOOOOO wake you bunch of i.....ts Then again, I just moved to Vanuatu. The only operator here with 4G is Digicel.....and they are using the 900 mhz for it.....so no one can use it too as the phones are mostly coming from the US.....how stupid is this ?!! So now they are forced to sell brand new smart phones super cheap so the people on the island can use it. It shows how retarded some can be when selecting a 4G licence. Oh well at least you can buy a brand new Samsung or Nokia for almost nothing. But what i can't really get is why Nokia didn't simply made the N 97 HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100 ? Why but oh why ? Well because them too are somehow retarded !!!! And you can't change it, it's an hardware issue....Pffff morons !!!
    Please use plain text.