Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Really frustrating internet issues (N8 Belle)

mattweber
Accepted Solution

Really frustrating internet issues (N8 Belle)

Hi guys,

Just got my phone back after more than four months of it being stuck in the repair shop for camera issues. The net result was that they eventually just replaced the entire motherboard and case - the phone I got back wasn't the phone I dropped in. Not that that bothered me - the case was in better nick than my old one, and everything worked - just had some data loss to deal with.

The point, though, is that not only were all my settings lost, but the guys at the shop took the opportunity to install Belle onto the handset as well (which is not yet officially available here in Australia). Since I've had it back (the last 6 or so hours of fiddling with it) I've yet to be able to get any of the additional apps that require internet connectivity to work - Social, Ovi store, Email, the Weather app from Beta Labs - nothing. I know that the internet is working on it, since the main web browser will access the internet. I don't have wi-fi to test it on, so this is all going through 3G (Telstra, if it's relevant).

I honestly can't figure out why it's doing this. Do I have a faulty unit? Or is this some kind of externally imposed 'punishment' for people accessing Belle before it's officially released in Austraia? Or are their legitimate problems with the OS that mean it doesn't yet fully integrate with our carriers? Or am I just doing something stupid and not setting the phone up correctly?

As frustrating as it will be, if it is just a matter of waiting until an official Australian Belle release comes around, I can handle that (I've gone 4 1/2 months without the unit at all, I can wait a couple more without email and facebook apps), but if there is a solution, I'd like to know about it, similarly if it's a faulty unit... well, at that point I'll probably just give up and downgrade to an N9 (I like my big fancy 12mp camera, though :smileyhappy: ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

The networks wouldn't be able to detect your OS, so you can rule that out. It can only be the settings within your phone.

Forgive me but I no longer have a belle device so this is from memory:-

Try going to settings-Connectivity-Internet Connections-Internet

See what order they are set to access the internet and make sure the correct one is top of the list.

Again, apologies this is from memory, but the required settings should be around there.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

mechanimal82 wrote:

Forgive me but I no longer have a belle device so this is from memory:-

Try going to settings-Connectivity-Internet Connections-Internet

Menu > Settings > Conectivity > Settings > Network destinations > Internet - longpress to reveal options for particular access point.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
mattweber

Awesome. As it turned ut, it wasn't the order (I only had one) but it made me take another look, and it looks like I typed in the name of my access point thingo incorrectly. All sorted now, thanks guys :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Thanks aspergerguy, knew it was around there. Just haven't been on symbian for a while :-)
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Did I say Symbian.... Oops
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

matt,

Would suggest that you use the mark as solution button so that people easily know this has been solved and doesn't need further help.

Thanks

mecha

Please use plain text.