Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Sim card slot is broken :(

Contributor
Kopites88

Sim card slot is broken :(

Anyone els had this problem?

I got my new Nokia N8 a couple of days ago. I putted my new sim card inside to check if it work yet, and it didnt. So I pulled it out and it got stuck. I had to use a bit force, and when I got it out I noticed that one of the pins thats gonna tuch the sim card was bend/sticking out. I bent it back in and it broke/fell out. And now the phone can't read any sim card.

I called the place I bought it and asked if it was a guarantee, and I could have it replaced, but no. They had to send it in on repair and I had to pay the price. So I used another certified Nokia repair place, and they also had to send it in on a main repair place (or something). So now my brand new N8 is on it's 3-4 week journey(hopefully not) to the workshop, and I have to pay the price for a faulty phone or sim-card. This really sucks :smileyfrustrated:

The sim card that was used was a 2 in 1 that came from the phone company. It's a regular sim card with a micro sim inside it that you can pop out.

It looks exactly like this one, but from another company:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2010/4/att-micro-sim-2.jpg

Have anyone els experienced this? Should I have gotten it fixed with the guarantee?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Unfortunately have heard of this issue in UK with N8 user placing iPhone micro SIM into adaptor to restore to mini SIM size, although there would have been in this case a much smaller gap than the groove in your ATT card but still meant card had to be forcibly removed from device.

Please note that there is an advisory in N8 user guide page 10 not to use mini-UICC SIM and this is taken a step further with illustration in user guide to shortly to be released E7 which has removable SIM tray.

For anyone interested I have marked where spring loaded SIM pins would get stuck, although now appears obvious when you think about it in retrospect:

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

will he b covered by warrenty
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

conti1888 wrote:
will he b covered by warrenty

There is no reason for this issue to be covered by warranty if it is specifically brought to your attention in the user guide; whereas nobody can be expected to RTFM from cover to cover ignorance is no defence unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich_enduro

I'd of thought that if the sim was supplied by the network with a N8, then it's the networks responsibility to fix the problem. if the sim isn't compatible with the phone, the network shouldn't supply such a sim.

Nokia lumia 800(3 UK payg)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kopites88

I've sent a mail to the network and explained the situation again and that it's unacceptable that they send out these sim-cards to phones than don't really support them.

Hopefully, if they like their appreciate customer they will maybe give me a deal, but probably not.

aspergerguy:  It's interessting what you are saying. It's strange that nokia didn't think of this when they made this phone. They should have made the pins curve so they can't get stuck in anything.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kopites88

OMG! Still haven't heard anything about my phone. Sent a mail to nokia to hear if it is warrenty or how much its gonna cost me. I want my N8 back :smileysad: Im so sad right now....

Please use plain text.
atulagrawal84

Hi,

Did you find any solution for your phone?

I am stuck with the similar kind of problem :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
babycham

Had similar problem with my asha 201.  I tried to help my hubby test his sim card by using it in my phone when his phone played up then when I tried to replace my own card had problems and managed to disconnect the card holder from its base.  I'm now expected to pay for repairs which I can't really afford now so I doubt I will be reunited with my phone before Christmas when I will have had time to save up the money .  Good luck with your problem but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
elihukbrizzy

hello in response to your case you can pachase your replacement on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=SIM+Card+Slot+Holder+Port+Replacement+Repair+For+NOKIA+N8

and take your phone for fixing

Please use plain text.