Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Strange N97 Problem

Counsellor

Strange N97 Problem

Hi Experts,

I'm facing a strange vibration problem with my N97 SW version v12. Suddenly my phone stopped vibrating without any visible reason. I've checked from the profiles and I can see that vibration settings are on. Even I've tried to turn on the touchscreen vibration without success. I've also tried other profiles, as well as creating a new profile and no success at all. Restart several times also did not help.

By the time I've started to think that this a HW failure, I've noticed that, after restarting my phone, vibration was there in the first three touches. Strangely, when the phone starts up, touchscreen vibration works in the first three touches and gets lost afterwards

Looks like a SW problem but I wanted to check with you experts if anyone faced a similar problem and if there is any solution other than reinstalling the firmware.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Sage

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I would say that if I were you, I'd wait for V2.0 instead. Reinstalling now will maybe solve it, but again, the bug is still lurking somewhere, and it might hit you again.

Since you'll probably want to install V2.0 as soon as it shows up anyway, you might as well wait until then, and live with that problem now. After all, only vibration lost isn't a big deal, is it? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'll still try the reinstall option and see if it helps, I'll let all know the result
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Reinstall v12 over NSU did not help, I'll try hard reset
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hard reset also did not help, problem is still mysterious. Shouldn't be any HW failure since vibration works in the first three touches?

Why not four? Never seen such a case before...
Please use plain text.
Professor

Quick question, have you got your phone on charge when you're testing the vibration?

It's just that when I used to have a 6300, when it was on charge the vibra didn't activate at all, I thought there was something wrong with my handset for ages! Until I realised that it was because it was on charge.

Just a thought!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

I have the same problem as you, so you are not alone. 

Bought my phone in June/July as soon as it came out and Vibration has not worked since day one properly. Mine is not 3 times and stopping. Mine was just randomly working maybe once a week for a few minutes or seconds and then nothing.

So it is not settings as it would just work for no reason sometimes. 

I was hopeful V11 and then V12 would fix it but it didn't. So when i heard Nokia say a few weeks for the V20 i thought i am sending it in for repair.

Has been 1 week since i handed it in to Crazy Johns in Australia and i mentioned Scratched lens, Vibration/Haptic Feedback issue, GPS reception & Call dropouts. I have a bad feeling nothing will be fixed. I wish i just took it into Nokia directly and cut out the middle man.

Thanks Andrew

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Also i have done every type of reset & checked every setting like you. But nothing.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nope metalfan, no charger is connected.

What kind of bug can cause to vibrate in first threetouches and stops afterall? I'm really running crazy with this N97

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

Just got my phone back from Nokia Australia and they fixed my vibration issue and replaced my lens.

I actually think it is a replacement phone as certain minor wear markings are gone on casing. Paperwork states "Transceiver only" and my imei has changed.

Lens i can't tell if it is different and hopefully does not scratch again. Although the flash still floods the photos so scratches are not the cause if anyone is interested.

Apart from that i love this phone so much & will wait till v20 before i upload all my stuff again.

Thanks Andrew

Please use plain text.
Professor

androllo wrote:

Hi,

Just got my phone back from Nokia Australia and they fixed my vibration issue and replaced my lens.

I actually think it is a replacement phone as certain minor wear markings are gone on casing. Paperwork states "Transceiver only" and my imei has changed.

Yes, that is a replacement handset. It's not brand new (usually not anyway), but they usually replace the covers with brand new ones on replacement handsets.

Please use plain text.

I am experiencing the same problem too. My vibration never worked, aside the phone vibrating randomly. And bad news: V.20 didn't solved the problem.

Since I am from Brazil, and bought my N97 through Amazon... garantee is not an option.

Anyone got a clue for solving this? I am starting to think that is somehow a HW problem... =/  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey! I experienced this too!

I'm from Philippines, and I bought this last June.

I never experience this before, until a while ago, the vibration was lost at all. I just upgraded to v20 yesterday. Everything worked fine though. But a while ago, it's gone. I never enjoy a phone with no vibration especially when I receive calls or text messages.

Restarting the device didn't solved this. Hard reset with *#7370# also didn't helped at all.

I'm planning to bring this to Nokia. The problem is how long this will take in their hands. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Take it in 2 Nokia. Firmware will not fix it from my experience.

They replaced my phone afer 2 weeks.

Please use plain text.
Professor

HERON97 wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem too. My vibration never worked, aside the phone vibrating randomly. And bad news: V.20 didn't solved the problem.

Since I am from Brazil, and bought my N97 through Amazon... garantee is not an option.

Anyone got a clue for solving this? I am starting to think that is somehow a HW problem... =/  

You may be lucky, take it to your local NCC and provide a receipt, they may help you out under warranty. If not, you'll have to pay to get it fixed/replaced. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hey guys i have the same problem !!! i throught updating it to firmware V2.0 would help but it did not!! **bleep**! i even hard reset the the phone too..nothing was fixed!!! i was very very happy with my N95 , this N97 just been giving me problems... im prob gonna sent the phone back to the care center in alabama, this would be my second time, the first was for the scartched lens. they did sent me an new replacement phone.  for those whos thinking about sending the phone back but scared that it will take too long...thats not true i was actually really impressed how fast the phone got back to me. it took fedEx 5days to get to them... and it took them 1 days to get the new phone back to me,, they next day air it out!.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

btw this phone have a factory 1 year warranty on it...it you dont need to show proof of purchase at this point, because the phone only came out about 6 months ago!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

hey guys, I did the hard reset (shift-caps-bckspc-pwr on) before I upgrade to v20, then I instaled v20, the vibration problem is solved.

FYI 

Please use plain text.
Professor

shengster1 wrote:
for those whos thinking about sending the phone back but scared that it will take too long...thats not true i was actually really impressed how fast the phone got back to me. it took fedEx 5days to get to them... and it took them 1 days to get the new phone back to me,, they next day air it out!.
Yeah, I don't know about other countries but in Australia the service is usually only one day! You hear stories of people waiting for several weeks (or even a month or two), it's crazy!
Please use plain text.