Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna - Pinch zoom not working!

Advisor

Symbian Anna - Pinch zoom not working!

It seems I can only pinch zoom some sites but not others. For example I can't increase the font size or zoom into yahoo.com, but I could before the Anna update.

Is there a way to fix this, or is this permanent?

And still no automatic resizing on zoomable sites either!

Please use plain text.
Sage

I checked yahoo.com; by default it redirects you on mobile site, witch indeed is not zoom-able. Go to desktop version (from bottom of page) and the zoom it's working.
Agree with lack of auto resizing and text re-flow :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

Here we go again! Anna just out after months of waiting - and the forum is already full of complaints. Far behind the peers. Will Winphone do better? BTW, be careful: Apple might sue you for using the pinch zoom... :-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rajbow

Pinch Zoom will not work on any mobile optimized sites. you might have landed in the yahoo.com mobile version via automatic redirect. The page layout is optimised for view with smaller screen size. Hence no zoom. Try any non mobile site. For example google.com. switch to "classic". you can do pinch zoom there. Same for  GMail and switch to "basic HTML". Pinch zoom here.

As for switching to GMail classic: There is a easter egg ;-).

You can download/upload all attachments just you would in ur desktop browser. Google sucks - they still disable attachments in their mobile version - All of today's browser does this a lot good - And for Nokia - you can view almost all attachments in ur phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GraphitIndia

Pinch Zoom was working before updating to Anna on my N8 on Yahoo Mail accessing through web.

I wish Nokia Start CDMA Handset in India again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yup, the pre Anna browser on the N8 was capable of pinch zooming on every page regardless of whether it was designed for mobiles or not.

Interesting to see if Nokia will fix this one.

Judging from the previous pace in which Nokia attempts to solve problems, I'm going to guess that Symbian 5 will be out before a fix surfaces.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mmj_n8

I agree totally the problem with web browser zoom. It is highly annoying that Nokia does not seem to have a clue what the users expect from these small screen devices: READABILITY. What a stupid idea to make a non zoomable function for browser. I'd say that old browser was better, you could read things on tiny screen. Only reason to keep still N8 is the camera. Cannot imagine that anything would make N8 better or are waiting now for Belle for another year and then that same thing happens again, no real improvement, things done differenty but not a single bit more usable as before (=Anna update). Very dissapointed, browser zoom is not the only problem with Anna. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Pinch-zoom in Symbian Anna browser is not working on a mobile optimised web page if the web administrator has added the following meta tag on the page:

user-scalable = no

The above tag disables the zooming by the user. This tag is supported starting from the Symbian Anna browser version. According to the specs, the user is not allowed to scale the page in the above situation.

It seems that this tag is currently set on quite many mobile optimised web pages. Not sure if that's by mistake or if the web site developer has really for some reason wanted to disable the zooming. Anyway, it's more of a web site issue than a browser issue, a standard browser  just does in this situation what the web site developer has instructed to do.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
barty181

can you reverse the upgrade? as not be being able to zoom into sites to make them readable, ruins the phone for me
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Man if not being able to zoom a mobile optimized site ruins your phone for you , you need to get another phone !! If you're that desperate, use Opera !!

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
barty181

can't get opera to zoom in, eyesight not good enough to read. I paid for the ability to surf the internet, it was fine before the upgrade and no notifcation was given it would have this effect. Agree I might need a new phone, but why should I have to pay, when prior to the upgrade I was happy with my N8?

Please use plain text.
brdeveloper

The auto text flow/wrap function is not working. When I set font size to minimum, it continues to overflow the screen, forcing me to scroll to read a line of text. Annoying. Opera Mobile is the only usable browser for N8.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

try opera mobile web browser ....it supports pinch zoom on all mobile and web sites
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star button would be considered as thanks.....Current phone Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
nakhla

[ Edited ]

me too. i am very disappointed from this Anna update, my mobile is nokia 5800, iwas on v52 before update to v60 to see and to explore this update and i am very disappointed now from the browser, before i have no problems with my mobile. now full oh problems especially the pinch zoom, and the lack of open the bookmarks as defualt screen before navigating to any site..

help me what i can do...

Moderator's note: Information about software that can be used to modify Nokia phones removed. Using the software in question could void warranty or damage the phone firmware and for that reason should not be discussed on Nokia Discussions.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
glossta1

The touchable zone on many sites is ludicrously small and disorganised, so being able to expand the screen is critical to accuracy of touch.  It was possible on all sites prior to Anna, whether supposedly mobile-friendly or not, and seems not to be availble now.  I have big finger-tips, and get in a fix with it, which I never used to.  Such a silly change.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
glossta1

bumping this up - Nokia this is a serious accessibility issue, not only for older users but also for anyone with sight or dexterity impediments.  Pinch zoom gives all users options.  It was there originally for good reason,and should not disappear overnight.

Please use plain text.