Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Tethering the N900? Oh dear

Mobile Guru

Tethering the N900? Oh dear

I mightn't be able to use the N900 after all.. how disappointing...

I need a handset to support two main things.. firstly ALS/line-2 I really need two numbers on my handset.. My N97 supports it, but I've not heard either way about the N900.. but I suspect it probably won't.. 

Next thing is tethering (via bluetooth). I need to use my phone as a modem with a laptop.. I don't think Maemo5 supports this yet either..

Not really a problem, I'll get one and use it as a tablet rather than a phone.. but get this.. and this is the total show stopper. Something that wasn't a problem for the previous 3 tablets

You can't tether the N900 to another phone. This means unless you have a sim in it (or you're using wifi) you won't be able to connect to the internet whilst out and about. This was exactly how the N810, N800 and 770 worked.. I bluetooth tethered them to my Nokia phone and away I went. The N900 changes this, apparently

If the N900 can't be used as a decent phone (line-2 / MMS / works as a modem) AND I can't use a different phone as a bluetooth modem to connect to allow it to connect to the internet, I just won't be able to use it.. at least I won't be able to use it outside of the house..

They can't stick to the "its an internet tablet first" if you MUST use it as a phone.. what a crying shame..

I'm really disappointed about that :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi, for sure N900 supports tethering so you can use it as a modem like any other (S60) devices.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

jukka wrote:
Hi, for sure N900 supports tethering so you can use it as a modem like any other (S60) devices.

Really?!?!? Thank **bleep** for that *PHEW*

I stupidly closed the browser tab I was reading with an interview with someone from Nokia that said it didn't.. He said it didn't support tethering, either as a modem OR to another device (ie like the N810 tethers to a phone)

Out of interest, seeing as you have the little Nokia logo by your name :smileywink: Do you know if it might support Line-2/ALS? It is such an under-advertised feature but everyone I've ever show it to says it is awesome. I wished more networks supported it.

These things never seem to be published in the list of specs, I guess because they aren't widely used...

Either way, thanks for letting me know about "can behave like a modem" support, that is fantastic!

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi there, the ALS thing is more difficult. Is there a way I can check that on my device?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Dang, it's really hard to find out if a phone supports line-2 on regular Nokia handsets.

On my N97, if I go into Settings, Calling, Call I get two additional options "Line in use" and "Line change"

However, I also have an E90 handset which doesn't support line-2.. but when I go into settings, phone, call I don't see the "line change" and "line in use" options BUT if I open help it mentions them! A give away the the support is disabled in the phone rather than not available at all.

It might be the same on the N900, but unless you have a Sim with line-2 I guess its going to be really hard to find out! It would be great if line-2 services were enabled on all Nokia phones as it has really held me back from some in the past! I guess the safest thing to try is taking my sim into a Nokia store when they have one in and giving it a try. I've bugged the London flagship store staff on more than one occasion with the same query and they've always been happy to help out

If you happen to hear someone inside Nokia mention ALS or line-2 support though, please do drop a reply! That would be great and cheers for helping out!

Please use plain text.
gbraad

You can use the N900 for tethering by the cable connection (or bluetooth). Bluetooth support is however not enabled the moment. The necessary steps to enable it is provided at the Maemo wiki:

http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=Fremantle_Unsupported_Bluetooth_profiles#DUN_server
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

"Bluetooth Dail-Up Networking" under Maemo Extras-devel works pretty well over BT DUN you just set your calling out number to *99# on your PC/Laptop to dial out to using your n900 as the modem to tether. 

Also there are risk to using  Maemo Extras-devel repos check out the info here

I've been able to tether with this in windows 7 and OSX so far with this no probs. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey Jukka, I'm just on the edge of purchasing a 900, but I'm a bit confused about the tethering capabilities. I would need my n900 to tether as a client to my mobile phone (server) over bluetooth the same way I do now with my n810.

I hate to carry both my phone and an internet tablet; however, my current provider has much better voice and data coverge where I am as compared to its competitors.

Please use plain text.
Employee

Hi,

I think the 2 posts above answer the question on BT DUN?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Tethering the N900 to another mobile phone is non-trivial.. and not supported out of the box...

(on a side note, there is limited support for ALS/line-2 which was enough to allow me to use it as a phone! Yeay!)

Nokia have a application called pnatd which allowed the phone to be used as a bluetooth modem.. unfortunately it appears to be closed source and has only limited capabilities.. For example, I've not found a way of using the N900 to call a phone number as a modem (traditional squeeking phone lines) rather than GPRS/3G access

The bluetooth stuff is still evolving.. but don't expect much out of the box.. Thankfully, that's where an open platform helps..solutions can be written

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mooneypilot

The 900 is missing the beautiful built in feature that exists in the 770 800 and 810, which is the ability to tether the 900 to your cell phone using DUN.

My other cell phone has a great data plan and I tether my 810, laptops, and netbook to it routinely to gain internet access on the go..

The 900 will not do this without significant effort and some luck.

Search "Matan" posts in the maemo site for more info.  (you want a modified kernel along with a app called Bluetooth DUN Client.  (client is the key here...the other App for "BT Dun" is used to allow the 900 to be a DUN server and provide access to some other device)

I have it working, but is not easy.  Not nearly as reliable as my 810 when tethered.

fyi, I do not have a sim card in the 900..it is used purely as a tablet (just like my 810 was)

js

Please use plain text.