Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Updating 5800

Advisor
Sheeba13

Updating 5800

I have a 5800 expressmusic. I tried to update my phone but the software version that showed up is the same with my phone's . But when I checked it on the internet I found out that there's a latest  software version for 5800. So how can I possibly update my phone with this software?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nseries_make

Re: Updating 5800

[ Edited ]

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-update

please check with ur product code that will display u can update or not

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sheeba13

I already tried updating my phone through pc and through ota. But it stil 20...

I want to update it to 50...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nseries_make

are u check with product code?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sheeba13

yes, but what can i possibly do with the code?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Go to the link above (2nd post) and enter ur product code there, it'll tell u exactly which is the latest firmware available for ur device.
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sushidushi

@Sheeba13.  Product codes.

The latest software (firmware?) for the phones is the latest that Nokia supplies for the phones, but if your phone is on a contract with a network it is for that network to approve the software released by Nokia.  They will also fiddle with it to add their logos and so on to the software.  So, if you buy an unbranded phone from Nokia, you will be able to update it as soon as Nokia release the new software.  If you got the phone through a phone network, I'm afraid you will just have to wait till that company approves it.

The product code relates to different models of the same phone, so although yours might look the same as an unbranded phone, the product code identifies it as belonging to a certain network or region.  The only thing you can sensibly do is to wait till your phone company approves later versions of the software.  You could contact them and ask if they will allow you toupgrad e to a later version, but I think I know what their answer will be, and it isn't 'Yes'!  But, worth asking, perhaps... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Or try a Nokia care centre .

jje

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sushidushi

Oh yes, indeed, although the Nokia Care Centre might well be unwilling to override the wishes of the companies that sell their phones by giving customers more up-to-date versions of the software.  But again, worth asking...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sheeba13

My phone's brand is Nokia definitely. So what do you mean by unbranded phones by Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Your phone has a product code that defines region /country phone is sold to . Also defines  operator  if operator sold phone  .

Nokai 5800 xm product code 12345    bodaphone  firmware  V5

Nokia 5800 xm product code 13456     ow2   firmware v3

Firmware update is for product code not model in effect .

If your product code is entered as per posts in the update checker it informs you of the latest firmware for your phone not another persons phone .

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/branded-phones/

jje

Please use plain text.