Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Vodafone firmware update failed

Advisor
montala

My mistake... sorry. I had read that the settings coukd be backed up, and incorrectly assumed that it would be to the SIM card.

Presumably it is possible to save them though?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

[ Edited ]
Tried to quote part of an earlier post in this reply, but it doesn't seem to work!

However, I didn't have any anti-virus software set up on my V70, but have been considering doing so. I wasn't aware though that Norton have released a version for mobiles... the only one I have seen around is from F-Secure.

Message Edited by montala on 25-Jan-2006
10:27 PM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I had mine upgraded to v 3.0546.2.3 yesterday (25.01.06) at Nokia Service Point Rhyl, no problems and my bluetooth problem has been sorted.
Please use plain text.

Hi nbpoppy. Is your phone on Vodaphone and have you lost all the vodaphone settings, mine's on 3 and i have the same bluetooth issues, but quite happy with the 3 software. How long did it take and can you just turn up at the Nokia Service point, was it Vaguard in Rhyl who did it. Cheers, Mark.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

I know that a lot of folks (including myself) who are under contract to Vodafone have had the firmware on their N70's upgraded from 2.0539.1.2 to the generic version 3.0546.2.3 without any problems.

This does of course remove all the Vodafone specific settings, and although the WAP, MMS and GPRS ones can easily be restored, the direct key links to Vodafone Live etc. (or the 3G startup logo!) are then no longer available.

What I would like to know is whether there is a Vodafone specific version 3.xxxx firmware available yet, and if so, has anyone had their phone upgraded successfully to that version?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
regarding anti-virus, iv seen two or three (including a norton one), but from what i read on one developers site, theyre useless. please correct me if im wrong?! what i read, said basically that phone applications are too small to put a virus in and if you downloaded an app that messed with your phone (providing you had a backup of your data on your memory card), a format of the phone would delete it if using app installer wouldnt work. symbian o/s just isnt compatible with windows software so from what he was saying, any virus on a website couldnt damage your phone. interesting. discuss?

Message Edited by wolfy on 27-Jan-2006
03:37 PM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

27-Jan-2006
03:36 PM
wolfy wrote:
regarding anti-virus, iv seen two or three (including a norton one), but from what i read on one developers site, theyre useless. please correct me if im wrong?! what i read, said basically that phone applications are too small to put a virus in and if you downloaded an app that messed with your phone (providing you had a backup of your data on your memory card), a format of the phone would delete it if using app installer wouldnt work. symbian o/s just isnt compatible with windows software so from what he was saying, any virus on a website couldnt damage your phone. interesting. discuss?

Message Edited by wolfy on 27-Jan-2006
03:37 PM

I had the norton one installed when it came from vodafone, i only activated it (its in the office folder if you want to see if you have it)I was under the impression you can get virus from bluetooth see http://www.robertprice.co.uk/robblog/archive/2004/11/Caribe_Bluetooth_Virus.shtml for an example
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Just found a list of virus that affect mobiles on the F-Secure site
http://mobile.f-secure.com/news/index.html
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi Montana et al,

> This does of course remove all the Vodafone
> specific settings, and although the WAP, MMS
> and GPRS ones can easily be restored, the direct
> key links to Vodafone Live etc.

Most Series 60 phones now automatically load the necessary Access Points when you first plug in your SIM. You can check what APs your phone has at:
Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Access Points

If you're not sure whether they're right or not, download the
Setting Wizard application from
http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,76742,00.html
You can also use the Wizard for setting up Email mailboxes.

I have generic Nokia SW and if I press and hold "0", the browser starts and goes to the Vodafone Live! homepage (address stored in the access point).
Please use plain text.
Contributor

just got my phone back, seems its got vodafone firmware, still,

RM84

So that was a complete waste of my time !
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

Sorry to hear that... I have a feeling though that Vodafone have still not upgraded their network specific version of the firmware, to one which is equal to (or even better than!) the generic version 3.0546.2.3

Or does anyone know different?

I do hope that they did at least send you back one which looks like new again, though!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yeah, cheers, that's the only plus side. Nokia advised me to send it to CRC.

But I don't want another 7-10 days without my phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Just got my fone back, now reflashed to latest firmware, de-vofafoned.

Glad someone knows what there doing with mobiles.
Success @ last !
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

30-Jan-2006
04:29 PM
adi7r wrote:
Yeah, cheers, that's the only plus side. Nokia advised me to send it to CRC.

Where did you send it? is it free? How long did it take? do you have to contact Nokia 1st?
Just asking all this for chance mine comes back with version 2 still on it
Please use plain text.
Contributor

C.R.C is high level service centre for Nokia, so I'm told.
I thinks its free, will take 7-10days.

Mine had already been away for that long already, so I paid £20+ special delivery to have the firmware flashed to v3.

By someone else.

Sent the fone last Wednesday 1st Feb, got it back Friday 3rd.
Please use plain text.
mrmaggoo

having bluetooth problems same as most other`s,me and a mate took our phones to a nokia repair center given on this website,(premiere eurocom)tried to speak to an engineer to see if he thought a firmware upgrade would solve our problems, told by receptionist this was`nt possible but she assured us phones would be upgraded and to call back 24 hours later. few hours later got a call telling us phones were not able to take new firmware and would have to be sent back to nokia as they were powering down this would take two to three weeks, (why they broke one and then tried the other one who knows!!!)since spoken to vodafone and informed that they don`t support new firmware version 3, so stuck with a phone that hangs,freezes and loses bluetooth connection and nobody can sort it !
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
kenfuj1

there are a number of 'so called' viruses out (mainly developments of the same one). i say 'so called' because they are not viruses in the truest meaning. any symbian 'virus' masquerades as another application and has to be USER INSTALLED. If you only use approved software, you wont have a problem. the bluetooth 'virus' you mentioned can only affect your phone if you accept the incoming transfer AND install it in your phone. if you have your bluetooth on hidden, it cant find you. the only other virus iv read about is sent by mms and duplicates itself by SENDING ITSELF OUT in COSTLY MMS MESSAGES!

EDIT: removed link

Message Edited by karim on 06-Feb-2006
09:10 AM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a vodafone specific firmware available yet. I had problems with my phone and was advised by someone from the nokia care team that a firmware upgrade would fix it. The reason why im not impress is because i was assured that the vodafone keys, icons and setting would be save but did not happen. I was also not please how i was told different and sometime no information regarding, which firmware version is available. It doesn't bring me much comfort that when i bring it back there tomorrow, that it be fixed propperly.

gshocked
Australia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just to let you know, I had my phone returned to NOKIA for flashing, and was expecting to recieve VERSION 3 firmware (Vodafone), instead I read the repair log and it was mistakenly flashed with version 3 O2!!!!!!!!, the cheek, and then it has to go back to NOKIA to be repaired again, sorry I mean reflashed, so I have to wait again for my handset. JEEEEZ.....I only want lifeblog to work as advertised.

CJ
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

is having o2 software a big issue? o2 hardly ever tamper with the software and, on the whole, do not use any sort of restriction to keep the phone on their network...
Please use plain text.