Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WLAN Proxy Settings - Saving User Id and Passw...

Contributor
badurski

WLAN Proxy Settings - Saving User Id and Password

I've looked around on the net but have not been able to find a solution to this problem.

Using an N8 (on Nokia Belle), the WLAN settings does not seem to provide any place to specify the username and password for a proxy based network (Note: this is not the pre-shared key for the WLAN, but the username and password asked by the proxy server). When the browser is used, it prompts for the username and password and then works. However other applications cannot connect to this network as they seemingly lack this feature and the phone does not make this globally available. Nokia Configuration Tool (NCT) 6.3 seems to allow placement of username and password values. When configuration is transferred back to phone, NCT shows successfully configured, but this does not seem to be the case when the settings are used by the phone. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Please use plain text.
mahesh77

Re: WLAN Proxy Settings - Saving User Id and Password

Do u get the solution.....plese tell mi solution... i have the same problem

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Step 1

Goto Connectivity Menu

Menu Button - Settings - Connectivity

Step 2

Add new Access Point (continue from above)

Settings - Destinations

Step 3

Set the new Access Point

1) Select Access Point to add new access point.
2) Select Yes for "Automatically check ......"
3) Select WLAN for wifi & choose your corporate Access Point
4) Select Internet to assign it to Internet group.

Step 4

1) Go back to menu in Step 2
2) Select Internet.
3) Select the new Access Point that you've added in Step 3 & it will give the details of it.
4) Select Options - Advanced Settings
5) And you should see IPv4, IPv6 and Proxy settings menu
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
badurski

mechanimal82, thank you for the response but that is not the problem I'm facing. The issue is not with placing the server and port addresses (that's what you can do from the menu you suggested). My problem is that the proxy server is protected by a user id and password (this is done using internet access controls such as squid). When using a browser, the browser will prompt for this info (that works fine), but most apps are not built with this functionality thus they can't access internet though they are connected to wifi. Phones like iPhone provide an option to store this info against the access point to be used globally by all apps. We are basically looking to see if Nokia Belle has this option.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
badurski

mahesh77, if mechanimal82's suggestion solved your issue then fantastic :smileyhappy:
Unfortunately if your problem is the same as mine, then there is no solution at this point as far as I know, sorry
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Ah, i think you might be right. It only allows you to input the proxy address & port. If the proxy requires authentication then you don't have this option. Apologies.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
badurski

Yup. And don't think Nokia's gonna solve this either. Thanks for giving it a try though. Please post a solution if you do come across it. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
mahesh77

yes u were right... so i cant use any app with Wifi I have at office only web browsing right... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Correct, unless you can ask your IT if there's an open (un-authenticated) proxy which you can use.
Please use plain text.
mahesh77

Is their software for N8 by which we can add whole system proxy and save it? There is third party app for android-proxy router, but then guaranty will be gone.

Please use plain text.