Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What setting/application is causing N97 (20.0....

Counsellor

Re: What setting/application is causing N97 (white screen of death)

Those of us in the US don't get the new firmware, yet.

I don't nderstand why Nokia doesn't release a version for us.

(I have the mini)

Same goes for the 5800 firmware, no US version yet  AFAIK

Only way is to change your product code and use a S. American firmware.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
supacalv

I agree with the other dude. I have been dealing with this issue painstakingly for weeks.

i have put it down to wall paper too. as i've loaded it with games (one at a time) and it restarted fine. changed the wallpaper to a photo not taken with the phone and it wouldn't start. used the charger trick since. don't want to hard reset if i can get away with it. but its still a pain in the bum if your nowhere near your charger.

have downloaded all programs from the nokia software updater and still get wsod.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbblair

So is this really fixed?  If so, when does my 5230 get the fix?  It's an infuriating problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: What setting/application is causing N97 (20.0.027) to get stuck on startup (white screen of deat

I use N97 v20.0.019 Chinese and have been plagued with the WSOD for a while.

Found out something interesting today though. What is the memory you use for the Messaging application? (Messaging > Options > Settings > Other > Memory in use)

I was using Phone memory. Then at some point Messaging started to tell me "not enough memory to display message" (I use SMS / MMS / e-Mail constantly and keep messages in the Inbox). So I cleaned things a little bit and switched to "E: Mass memory" instead. Of course this solved the Messaging issue.

Interesting is, believe it or not, I have had no WSOD after that (and I did not change anything else at all: no app removal, nothing).

What about you guys?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
happyal1970

Re: What setting/application is causing N97 (20.0.027) to get stuck on startup (white screen of deat

I found a quick work around to the dreaded WSOD on the N97 without having to use a power supply.

1. Remove the battery from the N97

2. Put battery back into the N97.

3. Switch the N97 on.

4. Remove the batttery again as soon as the screen turns white.

5. Put the battery battery back in.

6. Switch back on - wait for a minute or two and hey presto it will come back to life!

Stoopid phone?!! ;0)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
1006forever

That actually did work ! THANKS! !! it works for my n97 MINI !! since MINI has the **bleep**ing problem too.

Please use plain text.