Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Which Symbian Belle phone to get?

Counsellor

Which Symbian Belle phone to get?

I'm currently looking for a good Symbian Belle phone with features like:

1. Good audio capability (like Dolby or SRS or from a good 3rd party app) with the ability to add Playlist on the fly, ability to edit a Playlist name, edit or customise an EQ setting and be able to apply it on a song/s, a surround sound or bass option, etc.

2. Ability to know Email or Facebook or Twiiter notifications like Android.

3. Good 5mp or 8mp camera with 720p recording in full stereo @ 30fps.and with auto focus.

Any advice please?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Suggest you read this and make up your own mind, as you know your requirements, not other people, or read some independent reviews to get an idea ?

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Based on what I have asked I.e. requirements plus features similar to Android and excellent compatibility with a Mac computer and seem less drag n drop option what touchscreen phone would you recommend me look for?
Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

Nokia N8,Nokia 700
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Would those phones "meet" my requirements especially on the audio and (customisations) of Playlist part? 

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit stubborn but what I want from a phone is like similar features with a standard Android (2.3 Gingerbread) phone. Like also on email and SNS drop down notifications.

It must also be compatible with both Windows & Mac computers when it comes to connecting them via USB and drag n' drop feature from my computer to my phone direct and freely.

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

To be honest, I prefer belle over Android on PC connectivity as it auto mounts to access the SD card (a common issue with Android as you have to manually mount the SD card).

The 700 is a great phone, or maybe try the slightly more powerful (but slightly thicker) 701 which also has NFC if that's of interest.

The standard player on belle has an EQ with presets, however I'm not sure on editing playlists (although I would have thought this would be possible - I've never bothered with them myself).

Other than that it depends on personal taste... the N8 is excellent if you like to take pictures and view them on a big screen. The 700 is Nokia's thinnest smartphone and the 701 has an excellent screen clarity, and is really good for looking at in sunlight where others fail, plus NFC if you have that requirement.

I used a 701 for 6 months and can say it's well worth considering.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Also don't forget that there are a lot of other music apps on the Nokia Store which will enable you to do more with your music files and how they can be played. So I wouldn't discount any phone based on the "Stock" music player.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Having a good camera (8mp or more specifically) would be a good addition. But my preference would be just the two main points:  audio quality ( Dolby or SRS or stereo surround/widening and ability to edit or customise an EQ setting and applying it on my songs plus the customisations about Playlist) via in-phone features or a good app and an integrated Email and social networking app like Android's. 

A 3.7" or more screen would be also good.

I'm choosing between the N8, 700 or 701, X7 or C6.

What would be my closest options please?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Based on your specs I would recommend the Nokia 701 (slightly smaller screen than you would like at 3.5".

I'm not aware of Dolby or SRS on any Nokia belle phone, however all your other criteria match:

Music features
Stereo music player supporting MP3, M4A, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA
Music Player
Flick scrolling user interface to browse the albums in your music collection
Nokia Music Unlimited service in selected markets
Nokia Music Player
Nokia Music
Audio codecs: MP3, WMA, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB
Bit rate up to 320 kbps
DRM support WM DRM, OMA DRM 2.0
Playlist support and playlist editing; 8 channel graphic equaliser
Synchronise music with Nokia Music Player and Microsoft Windows Media Player 11
Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

please don't go for the C6 and X7.these phones have relatively low output quality(x7 has low screen pixel rate and C6 is relatively a low end smartphone).i think you are more indulged in camera features.since the 701 doesn't feature an auto-focus camera.choosing it would not be a good decision just because of 8MP title.even though it has the brightest smartphone screen in the world.if you want a relatively fast phone that fulfills your already mentioned requirements,you should really buy Nokia 700.on the other hand,if you really want a great camera experience with exceptional phone usage,you should go for the Nokia N8.n8 also features USB on the go along with a good quality and strong metallic body.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Okay.

But between the 701 and the N8 do they: 

1. Now have Belle updates?

2. Support drag n drop of files via USB?

3. Support ability to apply a customised EQ setting to all .mp3 files?

4. Support on-the-fly adding of songs to a Playlist aside from on-the-fly adding/editing of a Playlist?

Also....

What good alternative 3rd party music (and video) player I can download?

I thought the N8 has Dolby mobile. That's good isn't it?

And which one has an ability to save ( ala screen capture) a wallpaper or photo on a website or say Twitpic?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

both phones have these mentioned specifications.but during your purchase be careful that if you will purchase a 701,although you'll get the world's current brightest screen phone but you'll not get a good camera,so you should buy a N8.and before buying,be sure to check some already used n8(with belle) and a 701 in your hand so that you can get satisfaction.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

My comments below... however I would sugget you use the comparer on the Nokia product pages (link above) and really make your own dcision.... the main differences between these 2 are....

701 - Better battery life, thinner, faster processer (and newer phone so more likely to get updates to firmware before ex Anna devices.

N8 - Far superior camera, slightly better multimedia codec support, feels slightly more well built than the 701.

1. Now have Belle updates?

Both now run belle, the 701 will be getting feature pack one soon. FP1 will be released to older Nokia phones later this year.

2. Support drag n drop of files via USB?

Both do.... the N8 also supports USB on the go, which means with the right cable you can read files from a memory stick on the phone.

3. Support ability to apply a customised EQ setting to all .mp3 files?

Both do with the native music player

4. Support on-the-fly adding of songs to a Playlist aside from on-the-fly adding/editing of a Playlist?

the 701 I know has playlist adding/editing... I would assume the N8 also does however cannot guarantee this.

Also....

What good alternative 3rd party music (and video) player I can download?

I used to use oggPlay a few years ago when I solely used a Symbian device... but there are several players out there. It's personal preference on the UI, features etc.

I thought the N8 has Dolby mobile. That's good isn't it?

It has Dolby Digital plus which is more for when plugging your phone into a multimedia system... further details here:http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/product/mobile/nokia-n8.html

And which one has an ability to save ( ala screen capture) a wallpaper or photo on a website or say Twitpic?

There are several screen capture programs which all function the same really... just seach the Nokia store and select whichever one takes your fancy. I used to use ScreenShot by Anthony Pranata but I think he's discontinued this project.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I have the Nokia 700 and find it excellent.

Can't speak for the "stereo sound" and "excellent camera" requirements. There is no such thing as a phone with a good camera :smileyhappy: If you want to make classy movies, you need a proper camera :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

well another is thing is that if you really want a phone that you can keep for years and still beats many others in camera field,than it is the n8.it is a very much awesome piece of engineering.even though it has less cu,gpu and ram specifications as compared to 701,but still very much wonderful phone.i think you're much commited to the camera and sound features only.so,you should buy n8.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Will I be able to apply Dolby in all my .mp3 files with the N8?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

playing throuigh a multimedia player (i.e. home cinema systems) yes. However you will not get the full Dolby experience using the speakers on the phone.

Maybe worth investing in some decent portable speakers if sound quality is something you're really looking for.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

[ Edited ]

I have heard that ALON music player is quite feature rich if you are still looking for another app to play your music files:

http://store.ovi.com/content/48097

Please use plain text.
Sage
bbnaco

How about waiting for Nokia 808?
Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

lol.you can wait for that.thats alright
Please use plain text.