Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Will Symbian continue or not....

Counsellor
lbanias

[ Edited ]

@rayhipkiss:
What I was trying to say is that you cannot expect more from Nokia than a Belle patch to fix minor operating errors(even with errors you have a functional mobile). In my opinion we have on N8 almost everything a normal or even a tech guy needs, there are no more improvements possible other than applications (lot of them variations of the existing ones). And this is due to N8 hardware. If you are aware that you'll never reach the full fuctionality of a laptop, you'll realise that it won't cook eggs or wash your clothes. Let's hope that symbian won't be like Android with new versions every 6 months. If Nokia will find the balance between 3, Anna and Belle in a new Belle then we will stay happy even if it will be discontinued. And I'm not talking about GUI layout that will never satisfy all the people, I refer solely on functionality. It's not really important HOW it does, but IF it does corectly things promised.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

You may not expect more from Nokia, but many of us feel otherwise.

Look over the list of issues for Belle, on the third page of this thread:
/t5/Software-Updates/List-of-Belle-additions-corrections-needed/m-p/1341013#M115069

Some of those are minor, and maybe Nokia won't ever get around to them, but a lot of them are very important to Nokia's customers, and the feedback I've gotten so far is that Nokia is looking into this list.

If I had a car with a radio that didn't play in stereo, or an engine that was getting less fuel mileage than it should, or a seat that didn't adjust the way we expect seats to be adjustable, it would go back to the dealer for repairs.

Nokia may or may not be able to fix all these issues due to the limitations of the phone or the OS, but a huge number are simply correcting the software to allow the N8 to do the things it was able to do before the Belle upgrade.

How Nokia deals with this is a good indication of what we can expect for the future.

(If you disagree with the order of that list, please feel free to edit it as you see fit.)

.....and personally, I hope (expect) that these issues will be corrected in the N8 and any other phones Nokia releases.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Interesting....... Seeing that Symbian will receive support for the next 4 years, I wonder what range of new Business Phones will be like. I can only imagine an E7-00 like phone running on WP... And WP is the future now, Nokia has made that clear.

This will indeed be interesting to see...

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

trojenn wrote:

Hi noki2000.. thanks for sharing info.. some interesting thoughts coming from u about N808.

@rayhipkiss.. me too is concerned with nokia's efforts with development of symbian platform.

Lately nokia riding high on windows has planned to launch more cheaper lumia models to compete in entry level smartphones segment currently dominated by samsung.  S. Galaxy Y 5360 in top of the tables in India, offering capacitive touch screen, android v 2.3, 3g 7mbps and all the latest apps, priced in same range as Nokia 5233 (resistative touch screen, no 3g) and Nokia asha 300. This segment is totally dominated by samsung and now nokia wants to get into this stream with Lumia with same kind of specs. While this can proove to be good stratgey however nokia should have done a bit more with belle phones in this line.

Nokia should do more justice with its own brain child than boasting upon window platform. Even if wp achieve good success still nokia will be insecure as microsoft also provides os to samsung. A home grown kid is always reliable than an outsider.

Hi trojenn

Then, an interesting question should be; who is the outsider and where the outsider feels home?

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

juhian wrote:

And now... the management is rewarded for what....:smileymad:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-08/nokia-ceo-earns-10-5-million-after-bringing-out-windows-pho...

Grrrrrrrr

Talking about the devil...

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
iluvsymbian

Nokia should use both symbian and wp7.5.........just as samsung uses android, it's own bada and wp7.5.

This way Nokia would make sure Symbian fans aren't disappointed. The major reason why Nokia is running after wp7.5 and not concentrating on wp7.5 is that it's CEO was formerly a Microsoft employee.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

Elop, go back to Microsoft!   :smileyindifferent:

It would be so much better for Nokia!   :smileyhappy:   :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Emju

we all people wnt symbian or nothing
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Emju

i have n8,5233,n73,5800 i love thes very much
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

My advice - plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

I've still got my N95, and two N8 phones (one Anna, one Belle). I've also got a used iphone 3GS now. I'm learning how to make do with the iphone, and will probably buy a used Android phone so I can learn that as well.

In the (small?) chance that Nokia fixes what was broken in Belle, I'll continue with the N8. If in a month or two, my N8 is still brain damaged, I'll go back to the Anna N8, and take my time buying something different that I like.

If most of Nokia's software guys are working on Windows, I don't expect very much to change. There won't be enough people left to fix up Symbian even if they want to. As for me, I want Windows even less than I want iphone or Android.

I really don't care that much about any of the operating systems - all I care about is what the phone can do, and there is nothing available on the market right now, from any manufacturer, under any operating system, that can do what the N8 (original software or Anna) can do. At least that's my opinion.

I think we're asking the wrong question here. It's not whether or not Symbian will continue, it's whether or not Nokia will continue.
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I think Nokia is going to run both horses concurrently for a while.

Sure their developers won't be doing much Symbian bug fixing, but my 700 has few if any bugs (I haven't found one yet). But almost no 3rd party developers are writing Symbian apps anyway; the whole business moved to IOS a couple of years ago.

Nokia is selling millions of Symbian phones around the world - just not in the wealthy regions dominated by Apple.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

guys,

it does not matter if Belle will be supported until 2016, or even 2020 for that matter.

The fact is that no developers will be making new games/apps for Symbian.

So, whatever is available now, is what you will be stuck with.

So, you will be playing real soccer 2010 on you Belle device in 2016..

this is the problem.. i dont care if Nokia is "supporting" it or not..

Please use plain text.