Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Windows 8 BSOD during Belle refresh update

Registered Member
JetQ

Windows 8 BSOD during Belle refresh update

As ashukashyap1 mentioned one and a half month ago. Windows crashes with a BSOD describing a "kernel security check failure" while updating through the Nokia Suite.

This happens after the backup, right when the phone is starting to flash.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Re-installing-phone-software-failed/...

As currently I'm using the RTM version of Windows 8 (which will be installed on OEM machines for example) and delivered on disc in the near future, the simple response of:

"Windows 8 is still in beta stages and testing, a lot of software will not run properly on this operating system. You should reinstall Windows 7 or below and install Nokia Suite, then back up your device."

Does not suffice.

I have tried to run the Nokia suit from several compatibility modes,but all had the same problem.

Please actually address this problem.

The phone I'm trying to update is the Nokia E6. But it makes no difference what phone is used.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi JetQ,

Thanks for posting and welcome.

Unfortunately we can't give you any further answer but the one you mentioned. At this time Windows 8 is not yet released and not available in it's final form. Additionally a BSOD usually is a result of a very low level fault or hardware fault in the OS. Applications or services running on your PC normally do not have (direct) access to these functions which are below the API.

It is therefore not unlikely this needs to be addressed by Microsoft or you may have a hardware fault such as memory or CPU.

I will forward your post to the Nokia Suite team, but as Windows 8 is as yet not available to the 'general public' in a finished release there is no information we can provide on this at this time.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
GoGoGo

I had this exact problem last week. I was updating my new 700 with Nokia Suite on my Windows 8 (RTM) computer and right after the backup - BSOD. It had already started the update, and as a result the phone was bricked.

Fortunately, I could still return it. Others won't be so fortunate.

One other thing - I've had the official version of Windows 8 for over a month, so I find it hard to belive that Microsoft has withheld the bits from Nokia. That said, I can understand that this won't be an easy issue to resolve and will take a (probably) major update to Nokia Suite.

The fact is, in twelve days the floodgates are going to open and it won't just be a few techies complaing. This issue can render a phone unusable. The liability costs + bad publicity + lost goodwill is the last thing Nokia needs right now.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Hi GoGoGo,

Thankyou for your feedback. As already noted in this thread, Windows 8 has not reached GA (general availability), i.e. available in the shops to end consumers. Although better these days, I'm sure that many companies have not yet made their programs compatible with Windows 8 yet, and of course the majority of the public won't expect them too, as Windows 8 isn't even available on shelves yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jo_VdB

I encountered the same problem, twice !!

Now Nokia can not say "windows 8 is not available to the public"....

--> What is going to happen so the new software can be updated on the phone (mine is a C7-00)

Thanks for giving feedback

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@Jo_Vdb

Don't know which version of Nokia Suite you are currently running, but you may find a more recent example at Nokia Beta Labs:http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/nokia-suite-beta as is v3.6.35 upon my Windows 8 device.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Easiest way to update to the latest version of Nokia Suite is by clicking the link below:

http://nokia.com/nokiasuite

FYI, the latest stable version of Nokia Suite is 3.6.35 or .85 as the BetaLabs version did graduate to maturity and has a newer versioning number.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jo_VdB

I use Nokia suite v 3.6.36 - latest version I suppose.

But --> twice the BSOD crash in Windows 8 Pro.

Jo_VdB

Please use plain text.
Wishwa

adrianhughes wrote:
Easiest way to update to the latest version of Nokia Suite is by clicking the link below:

http://nokia.com/nokiasuite

FYI, the latest stable version of Nokia Suite is 3.6.35 or .85 as the BetaLabs version did graduate to maturity and has a newer versioning number.

Seems Nokia did nothing even after getting feed backs from public.

I have latest Nokia suite 3.7.22 installed on my Windows 8 x64  Enterprise . I am facing same problem during installation of firmware for all my Nokia phones: 6681, N82,N70 and C7.00.

Now here no one wants to recocnise this problem faced by many. Now MS already relesed Windows 8 officially but this problem yet to be solved.

Very unfortunate.

Please use plain text.
jackthecat0

So when is Nokia fixing this? Microsoft gives developers EVERY opportunity to develop on their platforms prior to them being released to the public (ie: Windows, Office etc.  Its called MSDN).  This is not trivial, software updates to our phones needs to be available and I beleive that Nokia was aware of it and just refuse to acknowledge it.

Nokia says PC Suite is available for Windows 8 but just dont try and use it.  Pathetic.  Fix it or give us an alternative way to update.

http://www.nokia.com/au-en/support/nokia-suite-specifications/

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
studboy

I have tried every possible thing to rectify this issue, I was not aware of the reson I get "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" before seeing this discussion. I would request NOKIA to give me an alternate way to update the software. I am using c2-06. And kindly send an email if you have any solution for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nasskapp

Hi together,

for me the same:

Win8 -> Nokia Suite 3.7.22 -> Nokia C7 -> update to Belle.

Windows crashes.

Somthing new?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mateys,

no such problem on my PC running Windows 8 Pro x64. I buy second-hand Nokia phones and update their firmware thru Nokia Suite all the time. Never had a single blue screen of death on Nokia Suite 3.7.22. Sorry to point the blame, but appears in these cases that there is something wrong with your installation of Windows, its on the Windows side itself.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Also try to update with Nokia PC suite.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Nokia PC Suite is not compatible with Windows 8 and is not recommended.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

But I have PC suite on my Windows 8 laptop and it is working great.

Give it a try.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

yes it is, it is on mine too in COMPATIBILITY MODE. Which means that not everything may work on it, so its not recommended to the majority of public users. I always use Nokia Suite anyway, and fall to PC Suite if nothing else is working for phones that I connect to my computer.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

I got it now.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Good.
Please use plain text.
Wishwa

Very nice to know that your W8 system is not crashing during update.

But what about other people living in diffarent part of globe ?

A real problem is not acepted as valid problem just becouse there no one left to sortout this problem ?

Really very bad . 

:smileysad::smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.