Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Windows OS on Nokia N8

Advisor
Evoss
Accepted Solution

Windows OS on Nokia N8

Hello does anybody know when or if gonna be  OS changed on N8?  that would be awesome 

lets buried **bleep** symbian once for all !!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Windows OS on Nokia N8

it cant be changed sorry

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Evoss

[ Edited ]

that's sad :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
theStapler

damn I was going to ask this too.. the symbian 3 OS really physically cant be changed to the Windows P 7 OS? guess that makes kinda sense but damn.. then im stuck with an extinct phone a few months after I bought it

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

N8 does not match the requirements for a windows phone, beside the fact that it doesn't have enough ram and slower processor it also needs 3 buttons on the device, N8 only has one . even though I know it will be a while before Nokia ships a windows phone 7 but sure hope Microsoft get rid of many restrictions they have because till then I won't think about buying one and besides, we still be able to get Updates on N8 for at least a year or maybe more, I'm pretty sure we'll get PR2.0 or maybe even PR3.0...

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Evoss

when we can expect n8 update?  new firmware?

thnx

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

lmao...people thought that symbian is resource hungry!!!!

there is no way it will run on a symbian device aside from the chipsets not compatible, etc.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chiposaur

the only way it would happen is if it was part of the deal that they experiment with it to try the viability.

this is feasible; if a handful of guys can take a couple of weeks to tweak up android to run on an iphone, without documentation or deep experience working with either, then a half dozen wp7 and nokia engineers can take a month to try and save the n8 from the bin . . . you know, the phone that last month was still being called the "nokia flagship, company saving device."

it would be putting good money after better money. if it worked, not only would they be able to continue selling the **bleep** out of the phone, but they'd have supported the existing what . . . 4m buyers of the device?

i'm not saying it WILL work, but if both companys put some brains on it, they'll be able to difinitvely know whether or not they can. 

oh by the way... all you forum engineers shouldn't bother throwing your definite answers based on your vast breadth of having talked about it on the internet. based on what WE know, the answer is "No." but as i said, we don't have access to N8 board-level or source code.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chiposaur

[ Edited ]

also i just realized . . . 

such strict requirements are for general licensees. i get the impression that this deal isn't the same as say HTC putting wp7 on one of their phones. . . this is an alliance of sorts. so i would hope that theres a smart guy at nokia somewhere that at least brought up the notion of porting wp7 to their most recent phones. 

Again i'm not expecting anything... but as an N8 owner, i'd like to see them at least try.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
misha7667

symbian is CAPITAL TRASH.ive never used a phone that buggier than the n8.lovely camera and video but thats it period.so windows would be a relief.i think its not fair that nokia isnt even tryn to save the n8 from extinction

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

misha7667 wrote:

symbian is CAPITAL TRASH.ive never used a phone that buggier than the n8.lovely camera and video but thats it period.so windows would be a relief.i think its not fair that nokia isnt even tryn to save the n8 from extinction

you know,  youre right.
why dont you package up your capitol trash n8 that is buggier then anythinng else, and send it to me.   then,  go and get yourself a wp7 phone.

my guess,  with all 5 posts that you have mad like a troll spammer, is that you will realize that there is no phone that runs so smoothly...though does nothing but calls, basic email, **bleep** browser, sms/mms.

youre right.  if the unit and os cant do anything, it has not bugs.

on second thought,  maybe you could visit a disney store and pick yourself up a plastic tinkerbell flkip phone.  those are pretty popular.  and judging by the testament of your actual knowledge of the os, no one would even notice you using it, and you wouldnt even notice the differencde either with exception to the picture quality!
the most dificult part about using the tinkerbell phone is how youre going to explain it to your imaginary girlfriend.
in the words of one pelican bobbing in the water next to another pelican where a stinky bubble comes up...  NICE post.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
misha7667

for all your talk,your beloved symbian is going only one way and thats out the door.this is a forum and everyone has a right to express what ever he or she feels.i wont grant your insults a reply because some people dont sit and stare at thier computer screens all day and make silly and incomprehensible statements

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

misha7667 wrote:
i wont grant your insults a reply because some people dont sit and stare at thier computer screens all day and make silly and incomprehensible statements

thank you for your reply.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

@misha:

Seriously if all you find good about N8 is the camera and video then I'm pretty sure you got one hell of a faulty device!! Yes we all know Symbian OS is not the greatest but it had advantages over other OS's and the other ones are not perfect either! You go check Android or Apple Forums and I'm sure you will find people complaining about stuff! That's just how it is.

It just the way you approached it is wrong! OK so you did a factory reset and you lost half of your apps, well I'm sorry but we all knew the risks involved, Nokia suggests not to do a Factory hard reset and instead send your device to the care center.

Before you start getting mad, I too have done a hard reset and yes I did back my phone up, half of my apps came back, I was quite happy because I didn't think I will get any back. My phone since then been working much much better. If you have problems share it with us and we will try to help. Getting on here and saying all the negative stuff WILL not fix your problems nor anyone else that comes on here to seek advice!

So yeah be fair, saying your phone only have a functional camera and video is well full of you know what. If its really that bad send it in and have Nokia care have a look at it.

I typed this respond with full respect to you, I just thought to let you know what I'm thinking. Thanks.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

@kman-Since how long have u been using **bleep** symbian?
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

well, judging by his signiture and the n8....since about 2007 if he got it reletively new.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I like my N8 because its simple and doesnt have W7.I had an HTC  with W7 for a week and sent it back.

If ya dont like what you have,go change it.Its free within the first 7 days.

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

@chukka-The n8 isnt meant to be simple.
Its a high end smartphone.
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

Well then hes clearly a symbian fan.
And yes android has problems but not as much as the symbian OS.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

romperompe wrote:
Well then hes clearly a symbian fan.
And yes android has problems but not as much as the symbian OS.

The new symbian os on the N8 and similar has very few 'problems', tho a few odds and sods need tweaking even after 1,1

most of the issues are with the UI or some of the basic apps (browser, email, music player etc)

which are all a bit basic at the moment and require some refinement

be interesting to see how much PR2.0 improves things in this regard

and were still waiting for Nokia to clarify how much further support symbian will get and what the future roadmap is

Please use plain text.