Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Windows Phone 7 for N8/E7/C7 ?

Counsellor
kadet

Windows Phone 7 for N8/E7/C7 ?

[ Edited ]

Recently, the operating system was ported to HTC Smartphones

Are there any plans to port it to N8/E7/C7?

Phone resolution is higher than the required 320x480

256MB meets the minimum requirements

GPS-is, there are 6 buttons (6 on the phone, 6 on the headphones) - meets the minimum requirements

Processor 780 Mhz (downclocked to 680) can be overclocked to 2000 (for wp7 requirement 1000 Mhz)

And what about the android os? s^3 phones are able to support it. android much better than symbian. Why do you refuse to android? it may add more popularity to new phones.

There's a LOT of people not buying the N8 specifically because it is Symbian still.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Windows Phone 7 for N8/E7/C7 ?

There are also quite a few million people worldwide who have bought a Symbian^3 device specifically because it is Symbian, and not Android or WP7.

Cheers.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kadet

This is not true, android and wp7 better because it makes a lot of software and games. valve is planning to port the steam and there are some games, ea games plans to port the game to the android. Soon on the android is wow. On the android has a lot of normal video players and audio players. On the android is much higher functionality in applications. The camera can shoot hdr photo. On the android made many emulators. On symbian nothing at all there and is not planned. Standard video player is not able to play standard avi, and very rarely is able to play mkv. There is not even able to open the archiver rar/7z/bz2. PDF reader is very slow and appears on half the screen

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

My original statement still stands. People who by a Symbian device do so because they want a Symbian device.

People who buy an Android device do so because they want an Android device.

The N8 can play AVI and MKV files as long as the MP4 and audio streams have been encoded properly. ( There is plenty of how to guides on this and other forums on how to do this ).

I will admit that there are far more applications and games available for Android than there are for Symbian, but that just re-inforces my point about the sort of people who choose between Android and Symbian, ( some people i.e. me, are not that interested in games and tons of apps

filling up our phones.)

I personally own both a Nokia N8 and a Samsung Galaxy S, and can offer my opinion that I prefer my N8 to the Galaxy S, mainly because I prefer Symbian to Android. Just my opinion.

And that is the point. Personal preferance. I wouldn't say either platform is better than the other, it's what the user prefers.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Richatom

I was a former Windows 6.5 user - I bought Nokia N8 because it is not Windows 7!

Windows 7 does not sync with Outlook - I use Outlook as my PIM. Absurdly, Microsoft have chosen to no longer support sync with their own PIM. Try googling and you will find endless threads of discontent and bemusement from former Windows Mobile users on the theme.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kadet

Outlook right now no one uses. And do not compare wp7 with wp6.5, a completely different systems, have nothing to do absolutely.

And I never asked about replacing the system. I asked about the possibility of a separate installation wp7, as is done in HTC HD2. There can also be run android and wp7

http://androidadvices.com/htc-hd-2-dual-boot-android-windows-phone-7/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

rayhipkiss - YOU may have bought an n8 because you wanted symbian, you cant speak for anyone else. I bought it for the camera. If there was a way to switch the n8 to android, i'd do it in a flash.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

NO ONE uses Outlook?!? Err you might be surprised to hear that virtually everyone uses outlook, which goes some way to explain how microsoft lost the business phone market to blackberry.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Jezston. Are you telling me that you only got a N8 for the camera? And then complain about the OS? Why did you not just get an Android phone with a half decent camera? Did you not do any research on the N8 before you got it, or were you just dazzled by the twelve mega pixels? It's a bit like buying a diesel car then saying wouldn't it be great if it had a petrol engine in it.

Ray
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

[ Edited ]

What?

I bought the N8 primarily because it had far and away the best camera on the market - nothing else is yet to come close. I was well aware of the shortcomings of the OS from the reviews I examined, and am making do with them, and hoping the P2.0 update will improve things immensely.

Still, I prefer the Android OS. And if anyone was to make an Android phone by the time my contract runs out (or even some new as yet unknown OS, hell maybe even WP7 will actually be useful by then) that has the same level of optics as the N8 then that may well be my next phone. If there was a way to replace symbian on my N8 i'd jump at it.

EDIT oh an in my previous post I meant to say "everyone in the business sector uses Outlook", not just 'everyone' - clearly that would be wrong!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I use Outlook, and I'm not in the business sector (I am however in the medical profession). Just saves time opening different email sites when I have 3 email addresses.

Anyway, As far as i remember, WP7 phones require 1Ghz procs, so N8 is already out of the question in terms of capability. Furthermore, there is a reason why the procs are downclocked. It may have to do with heat produced, how much heat the other components can take, the board, etc.

Your phone is not a desktop PC which can be modified according to your heart's content. There are limitations. Much like a laptop, you cant just overclock a laptop's proc just like that, as you risk running burning the other parts out.

If you want W7, wait next year. Nokia's partnership with Microsoft now has Nokia making WP7 phones, the first of which are to be announced by the end of this year, or early next.

Personally, I have high hopes for WP7, seeing the videos, I like it better than Android. And since its just the first iteration, it is obvious that there are limitations for now, as MS built it up again from scratch, but I have high hopes still. ^_^
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Reg3e

[ Edited ]

rayhipkiss wrote:

There are also quite a few million people worldwide who have bought a Symbian^3 device specifically because it is Symbian, and not Android or WP7.

Cheers.

Ray

Yeah right, i got my c7 due to the afforable price and decent hardware, and not for symbian^3, Symbian Anna might have some improvements, but it still takes forever to come out while WP7 and Android are sky rocketing to a whole new level, so tell me, why the heck would i spend money on this kind of os?

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited. Inappropriate use of words is not allowed in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

Reg3e wrote:

rayhipkiss wrote:

Cheers.

Ray

Yeah right, i got my c7 due to the afforable price and decent hardware, and not for symbian^3, Symbian Anna might have some improvements, but it still takes forever to come out while WP7 and Android are sky rocketing to a whole new level, so tell me, why the heck would i spend money on this kind of os?

So, if I understand correctly, you got a C7 knowing that the OS wasn't to your liking? That is something I have a hard time understanding.

There is something else that is bothering me recently, and that is the amount of people who want a Nokia phone with Android on it. If people want an Android phone, then go and get one.

There are plenty available to choose from from reputable manufacturers.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Then why the blazes did you buy a C7 at all if you did not want Symbian? The Galaxy Ace is the same price range as C7.

Why the heck would you spend money on something with a **bleep** OS? I wouldn't know. You tell us. You already did.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Seriously,I'm with raphy on this one. Why buy a Nokia when you want a Droid? Go buy a Samsung/SE/HTC for crying out loud. Its like craaazzzzyyy....
Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

[ Edited ]

WP7 requires three buttons for Home, Back and Search. The N8 only has one, so even if the hardware specs otherwise were sufficient, it would still not qualify. This was the same reason for the old HTC HD2 not receiving WP7 as that phone had too many buttons.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Hmm, I can only speak for myself, but I got the N8 because of the specifications, because I like Nokia, and because I prefer Symbian over the other choices.

If Nokia were to make a phone that operated just like the way the N8 does, with no lack of features or performance, I wouldn't really care what the OS was. 

It's WHAT the N8 does that I care about, not HOW it does it. 

Please use plain text.
omarabdelaziz

Dear friends I agree with both sides who likes symbian and who wouldn't, everyone -I thought- brought n8 for its high specifications -mine did- assuming that the new symbian will be better than b4 and could deal good with all N8 features, but that was wrong.

I love nokia phones and I always choose and buy nokia phone for my self and my family from I had first mobile device that was nokia, but after purchase N8 and use it for two months ago I change my opinion because symbian ^3 is very bad OS and don't have any chance to compete any other OS and who make it worst that nokia care technical support don't know much knowledge about it, I'm really believe that I know better than them by the hard experience I had with this garbage software and with less trained nokia care team (I had a proven experience if u wish to know I'm not glad to share but I might do soon).

So I have to accept symbian to have these fine features that's all, and nokia do so by this way.

I like my phone but I'll love it with better software symbian or else.

Thanks to all

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mazhar111

i have nokia lumia 800 its window 7.5 mango, i used n8 also before this but  i like this more than N8.

i think windpw is good symbian.. mu prsonal view

http://www.mobilepriceupdate.com/nokia-lumia-800-price-in-india-review-specifications

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
momo40

hey guys!

i have an e7 with symbian^3... and it is not bad, but i wish to have some more opportunities with apps and games!

Furthermore symbian belle is lagging a lot on my phone..

so i hope there will be an update that the customers can choose between wp7 and symbain^3! 

Cheers.

Please use plain text.