Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: getting a new touch nokia , please i need some...

Mobile Visionary
elie7
Accepted Solution

getting a new touch nokia , please i need some advices

ok , now i have an e75 nice phone , but i want a touch nokia , ok so there is the 5800 xpress music , 5530 xm , n97 , and n900 , n900 nice phone , but i am not going to use all these specifications and i am more of a media man and the n900 looks like a black laptop , so it is of the list , now we have the 5800 and the 5530 xm , 5800 and n97 i need some advice , does the contacts in the home screen on the 5800 xm have facebook ?or does it even have facebook in the home screen ? anddoes it have an email applicatiopn like the e75 , e71 n97... and can i get e-mail notifications in the home screen ? and wich one is better e75 or 5800 xpress music ?
Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: getting a new touch nokia , please i need some advices

Sorry to say this but..

5530>E75>5800>N97*>N900*

* Specs are roughly the same, although i would go with a n900

Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

Speaking from my own experience I wouldn't recommend the N97, don't get me wrong some people have had negligible problems with it but it's been a nightmare experience for me. Being offered a brand new N97 replacement at the moment but am trying to hold out and negotiate for the N900, seems promising so far but not holding my breath..
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

Unless you are getting it for a steal - don't bother getting anything running S60v5.
I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well a lot of the problems of the 5800 has been fixed, and its running very smoothly now. For facebook on the homescreen, well you will have to put the facebook app as a shortcut on screen, but nothing like the onscreen widget of the n97, that's the only one that has that. The onscreen contacts could have facebook as their RSS feed, but unlike the 5530, the 5800 does not have the enhanced homescreen that showcases both contact bar and shortcut bar on the screen. Its either or. Rumors of an update are still just rumors.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Side track here, do you like "Comes With Music"?  I happen to like it a lot and hence, I can overlook some of the cons the new touch phones have.  I am listening on average 10 to 20 new albums a week.
Visit http://www.WilfridWong.com - where all good things are meant to be shared!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Buy an i phone
Please use plain text.
Advisor
davetrevaskus

If it were me, I'd go for the N97 mini (probably the Comes With Music version). This has none of the flaws thefull sized N97 had, doesn't have the ridiculously oversized 32gb memory (only has 8gb) and has no FM transmitter. Also feels nicer in the hand due to the metal finish on the rear of the device.

Or wait for the X6 - Nokia's first capacitive touch screen (like iPhone). This should also have a "Comes With Music" version.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

fredwhj wrote:
Buy an i phone

Before you do, have a look at this.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49303754,00.htm?s_cid=96 

Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

[ Edited ]

Before you do, have a look at this.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49303754,00.htm?s_cid=96 

I feel this article is a bit harsh, there's the part which talks about courage according to maps released by ofcom, I'll tell one thing the area I live in has  very strong network coverage according to the maps but when I was on O2 I never could get a signal when I was indoors no matter what phone I was using. Now am on Orange the two phones I use the N97 and a basic Nokia loaned to me when the N97 is away for repairs get signal without a problem. Funny thing is the same article includes this link about O2

Guess we will know soon enough wheather this an iphone problem or not coz it coming to Orange. 

Message Edited by phatdumi on 21-Nov-2009 01:21 AM
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
patriciaanne3

Enjoyed reading that article cjlim. I've never had a bad Nokia phone.
Please use plain text.

I don't have anything against iphone, but it is just a pretty face, it cannot do half the things nokia can, you're permanently stuck with itunes, with nokia you have most of the things you need, you can get apps you need directly from the site, like you tube, google, google maps, etc, and it actually saves you money overtime compared to i iphone which just sucks them out of you
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Elie7 i wouldn't recommend N9, camera slider scratch lens = not very good for media man.
Phones Owned : w960i N97. My Name Deosn't Realy Mean It
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

i would wait for the nokia x6

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Hi; Elie7, I have N97 and with current software a bit of research and effort, it's fantastic. It has the widget based home screen, the huge memory is a benefit not a drawback, I have over 60 videos and movies as well as 6 days and 4 hours of mp3 music (all with album art. I can watch BBC iPlayer and You Tube .I can browse the web with Opera mini, and send and recieve e-mail from my hotmail account using a qwerty keyboard. Oh and the phone will guide me with sat nav with voice directions.

The 5800 will do a lot of this as well, but no home screen widgets, less memory, no qwerty , poorer camera and smaller screen.

Now, no one can deny that there are problems with N97, but if you go to any forum, you will read about problems with every model and brand of phone, and as someone who has followed this forum for quite a while, the number of problems/complaints relating to N97 have reduced dramatically.

The final decission is yours, do some research, go and physically look , touch and use as many phones as you can, and I hope you enjoy the phone you choose.

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
darren2190

If you are budget contraint, get an 5800. If not can wait for X6. :smileyhappy:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the "Kudos!" star. Thank you!!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Lesson: if its good and "cheap"....then its junk. So is the company/service making it.

New 5800 phone died in 5 days. 4 and counting attempts by nokia to repair  SAME ISSUE

Purhcased at NYC flagship store. I had the phone working for 1st 5 days. When the battery started to discharge, i tried charging. It didnt charge at all. Store gave me new battery saying battery was at fault. Again same issue. It wudnt even turn on with the charger connected - so clearly its not just battery problem. By the time this battery discharged , the 14 day return period was over - pretty sure they knew it.
Then started the saga of sending to nokia service center - PALCO. Already sent 4 times. each time had to ship back same evening or next day. Same problem for "repaired" "replaced" and "repaired again" phone. 
First they claim its "repaired", then 2nd time they claim "cannot be repaired...so replaced"...why did they send it then?
but the so called replaced also had same issue - how can this be co-incidence?
again sent...they claim repaired....but same issue.
When i call....they dont agree to send me a courtesy phone since its clearly their mistake and 4 attempts are enough to figure out im being cheated.
They wont give me refund or replacement.
They wont even agree to send me a email saying they take responsibility to resolve the issue with the next cycle or within x-days. Its already 4 attempts and 3 months...so i doubt they plan to take any action to solve it.
5 is not my lucky number....i have no hope it will get resolved.
looks like they will continue playing ping-pong till end of 12 months.

this is Nokia for you. Even after such blatant issues...they wont even bother doing 1 thing to make it better for consumer. Its a obvious scam. 
Message Edited by gowris on 12-Dec-2009 09:54 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

x6 and N97 about the same spec.....one with card slot, and the other does not have a card slot....one with Handwriting recognition and the other with keyboard. one is about 30 grams lighter then other....one with dual led flash and the N97 only have LED flash for the camera.  basically they both operate with the same OS...hopefully don't have as much of an issue like the N97.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Hi, of the phones you mentioned the N97 will give the best media experience. Now as to the previous post , it is somewhat incorrect. The phones specs are virtually Identical, but run on entirely different operating systems N97 Symbian 60 V5 and N900 Maemo a brand new Linux based operating system, probably much better for web browsing, and superior for flash content. As your interest is in music/video, and you don't want a 'black computer' probably the N97 is still your best bet of the phones you've mentioned. The N900 is as yet not fully tried and tested, but in theory with it's larger phone memory should be better for web browsing and running multiple apps, we'll see. But with v2.0 software my N97 is now running smoothly and working well as a phone and media player, and initial complaints have reduced in number and most problems seem to have been solved. Untill the N900 is truly on-line in numbers it will be hard to judge, and there are already a few problems turning up on this site. Most complex 'smartphones' have faults, check the web, people have problems with iPhone, Sony Erickson just withdrew their latest offering,Samsung has it's critics. It all boils down to personal choice. I think the N97 is now a good phone, plenty of help and advice on trouble shooting, and will improve more with future firmware updates(maybe it should have been launched 'perfect' but it wasn't,neither are other makes) Choose the one you fancy, stick with it and almost any problem you find can usually be solved by researching forums like this.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Good Luck

PS if you want to compare specific phones specification many web sites will give you side by side comparisons !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Don't!

Please use plain text.