Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: good video player for N8 Symbian^3 (like corep...

Counsellor

good video player for N8 Symbian^3 (like coreplayer)

I am looking to purchase a good video player (like coreplayer) for my N8.  The built in video player is flaky and doesn't support very many codecs and containers...and acts flaky with some that are supposedly supported.

I used CorePlayer by CoreCodec for my N95, but it doesn't look like the N8 (Symbian^3) is supported.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

containers: avi, mp4, mpg, wmv, mkv, etc...

formats: mpeg4, divx, xvid, h264, etc...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Re: good video player for N8 Symbian^3 (like coreplayer)

Default player supports all things you've mentioned. It even supports subtitles from external file after the latest update. If you have a file that doesn't play, it's out of the standard (CABAC, Qpel etc.). There is no 3rd party player with wider support than the default one AFAIK. Not yet at least.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, AVC (CABAC is one of the things I'm looking for).  High@L4.1, 5 ref frames...for instance.

At the end of the day, my N95 with coreplayer will play more types of files and codecs than the N8....I'm a little dissapointed.

I don't want to convert, that takes too long and you get quality loss...and to be honest is a waste of time.

I've checked the live update app and it seems I am up to date.

I hope the 1.1 update (coming in the next couple of weeks) for the N8 has CABAC support.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

CorePlayer on N95 can't play 720p and Windows Media. Honestly, I have N8 almost three months now and I have yet to find a file that won't play. Except for .mov container and m2v obviously. You are aware that file needs to be under 2GB, right? Also, it's going to be hard to write a player with wider support. N8 has hardware video decoder and everything it doesn't support would need to be decoded via CPU. I don't think it's up to task IMO.

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

You mean a n8 cant play vid files more than 2 gb???
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

yes it can play vid files above 2 gb.I transferred dark night full movie 720p.It played the video perfectly but no audio was coming.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is a problem with files bigger than 2GB. Search the board, few people had it. You need to split the file.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, I'm aware of the 2gb file limitation.  I'm using very small files (less than 50mb).

I don't see why CABAC couldn't be decoded.

Also, I'm  not getting notified of responses. I've subscribed to the thread, but I guess it doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Will_CR

How do I watch subtitles in N8?
Is same like default option in VLC where video file and subtitle file has to have same name?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rolfsnolf

the subtitle and the movie have to have the exact same name and have to be in the same folder, then the nokia n8 will automaticly use it with the movie if you play it

Please use plain text.
Sage
lillracksingen

krisq wrote:
Default player supports all things you've mentioned. It even supports subtitles from external file after the latest update. If you have a file that doesn't play, it's out of the standard (CABAC, Qpel etc.). There is no 3rd party player with wider support than the default one AFAIK. Not yet at least.

What the video player is missing is resume support. This is available in Samsung's latest Android phones and in all Apple iDevices.

With 16GB internal memory and the 32GB class 10 card I've added extra, I have ample space for movies. But I tend to pause one movie and switch to another. With this I have to struggle a  while to find where I stopped watching last time. That's why I avoid watching movies on the N8 and stick with my iPod touch. And no hopes this feature would be part of Anna :smileymad:

The N8's hardware is amazing but those little features in the OS that goes a little further in usability are lacking, making the N8 an average phone. Features like resume on movies, audio book support, gapless playback, audioscrubbing, etc. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

lillracksingen wrote:

krisq wrote:

What the video player is missing is resume support. This is available in Samsung's latest Android phones and in all Apple iDevices.

With 16GB internal memory and the 32GB class 10 card I've added extra, I have ample space for movies. But I tend to pause one movie and switch to another. With this I have to struggle a  while to find where I stopped watching last time. That's why I avoid watching movies on the N8 and stick with my iPod touch. And no hopes this feature would be part of Anna :smileymad:

The N8's hardware is amazing but those little features in the OS that goes a little further in usability are lacking, making the N8 an average phone. Features like resume on movies, audio book support, gapless playback, audioscrubbing, etc. 

I agree. This is one little beef I have with S^3's video player. It should at least remember the position on lastly played video, like in 5th edition. I'm dropping my player to the background though, as a workaround.

Please use plain text.