Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: how to play network content on your N97 min Sy...

Contributor
n97mini_music

how to play network content on your N97 min Symbian S60 phone

hi all,

i am a bit surprised that i cannot find software that does this.

at home i have a network with a NAS, it also runs a mediaserver.

i use this to have all my music and pictures available for all computers in my house.

the N97 mini i bought about a year back was then promoted to have upnp av and network protocols. i suspected by now there would be players available that could either browse your home network or play back from the mediaserver.

i have tried: SYmplayer, that shows me all computers with shared folders and i can play music from those, but not my NAS.(Fritzbox 7340 with NAS and mediaserver enabled)

The nas is visible from vista and win7, but on xp you can only map it if you know the ip adress.

Symbian also only sees the windows computers in the network

Since there is no way to type in the path to my nas from symplayer it does work.

i have also tried core player(core codex), but had no luck since the certificate was outdated and files to sign it yourself were not present.

same was for 10live media...some asian player, but i accept if that is the only opne

oggplayer/winamp seems also been discontinued or not working

i could not find anything else.

strange that there is no interest in those tools, but if somebody else has bright ideas i would really like to know.

it seems that nobody want to make their n97mini a mediaserver or something that can grab files from their network shares.

to bad symbian did not get off the ground, i don't suppose it will ever come if the projects that were there are all discontinued now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97mini_music

Re: how to play network content on your N97 min Symbian S60 phone

Isn't it possible to port the file manager with webdav from the N8 to the n97 mini?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

The function isn't possible on the N97 and you can't use Symbian3 on an S60 phone. ! Sorry :-(

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97mini_music

too bad that symbian3 is not supported on the n97mini,

but 'not possible to browse your network' is sounding ridiculous.

ok, i do admit the picture quality is **bleep**, but here you see some screens from symplayer browsing mij local network to see what shared folders there are.

it can clearly do that.

Alas symplayer does not allow you an adress box where you can just type in a network path.

The N8 has it build in and it's only a protocol, so it should't be that hard

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I've only just got the facility on my E7 using Nokia Play To from Beta Labs !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97mini_music

Nokia PLay to is a mediaserver, only works on computers, thus i need to let a computer run to feed my phone.

If it would be PLAY FROM it would me more intersting. plus i already have a mediaserver running on the nas,  this is a standard mediaserver

in my opinion not as interesting as being able to browse for shared folders and play from them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97mini_music

my interest for this solution has evaporated with the use of my phone.....the n97mini is having a hardware problem that could not be solved by a hard reset.

the shutdown button does not work any longer and if you shut down via the menu that keeps popping up if you want to do anything with the phone....it reboots itself....hurray

anyway i picked up my old phone and am, on monday,  bringing the n97mini for the 3rd time to a repaircenter (not that it is the same phone, it is my 3rd n97 mini as well...will i get a 4th?)

but frankly i am following nokia on this: i am done with this flagship...just spend 20 euro yesterday for a car charger that is 'propriarity'  build.also down the drain, so to speak..

after 10 years of being loyal to nokia, even when i worked at ericsson,

i will  accept the new iphone now (something i thought i'd never do)

thanks for your help, but the times have changed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

SymPlayer software for S60 v3/5 can play mp3 files or folder with mp3 files on phone or directly from computer or NAS drive but not all NAS drives will be able to communicate with SymPlayer.

Please use plain text.