Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

how to turn on phone silently?

Contributor
ypwlng
Accepted Solution

how to turn on phone silently?

[ Edited ]

Hi guys - I know that if you are using Silent profile, turn off phone, then when you turn on the phone, it does not play the nokia start up tune.

However, if you are using the General profile and restart the phone - it will play the tune.  Is it possible to turn on the phone silently - such that it does not play the start up tune?

Thank you for your help.

(EDIT: I'm referring to the n97 mini)

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

Re: how to turn on phone silently?

someone answered this earlier today, no matter the profile you're using, just turn warning tones/sounds off under the personalisation setting of the profile
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ypwlng

Thank you.  However, what if I want to have those warning tones normally?  There are some occasions when I want to turn on the phone quietly (and lets say I have forgot to put it on a silent or modified profile without warning tones, before turning off the phone).  Is it possible?  Or do I have to keep remembering to put the phone on silent before turning it on?

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

"and lets say I have forgot to put it on a silent or modified profile without warning tones, before turning off the phone). Is it possible? Or do I have to keep remembering to put the phone on silent before turning it on?"

Turn Off the warning tones in "General profile", (Phone won't ring at startup) but Msg alert, Ring tone, E-mail tone would still work.
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

If you  press any key when the phone is booting up the start-up procedure will skip the hands animation and also silence the default Nokia start-up tune. :smileyhappy:

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

just like steve_p says, you can press a key when the phone is booting up and yo wont hia the startup tone, datz wot i do wen i dont wan to hia it. you could try the software handy profile and see the features it offers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ypwlng

I have tried pressing one of the volume buttons, the menu button, and one of the number buttons (on the n97 mini keyboard) while the phone starts up.  During the process I also have to enter the phone lock code, etc; unfortunately it still I get the nokia start up tune.

Should I be pressing any specific button, and should it be before / after asking for SIM password or phone lock code?

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

you press any key when the sound normally comes up, which am guessing is after you input the sim password. it doesnt exactly prevent it from sounding, it mutes it, in essence you would hear the sound a tiny tiny bit, may just a beep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ypwlng

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Unfortunately on my n97 mini, pressing a button during the start up, before and/or after the password does not skip the nokia tune, nor mute it or change it to a beep.

The solution that has worked for me is to turn off the warning tones in all the profiles, so no matter which profile I was using when the phone was turned off, it will not play the nokia tune when I turn it on.

Please use plain text.