Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: looking for a n8 ebook reader

Contributor
dribl3

looking for a n8 ebook reader

as the title says

im looking for an ebook reader for my n8

viewing post and forums, there are no preinstalled ebook reader

ovi doesn't have any readers i can find

pls suggest a compatible ebook reader for the n8

also provide link if you can

ovi should already found a developer who makes this kind of software

and should have had this preinstalled

the iphone already has a great ebook reader

yet nokia's current flagship is so lacking

thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

hi i think there is simpilar thread here if helps you
/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/ebook-readers-n8/m-p/804437/highlight/true#M237041
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

No, that thread does not provide a good solution.

Anyone who has a proper option? I have been looking for this for days now but I can't find anything that is working.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
albertorrent

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

The solutions in there don't work very well for me.

As for the Ereader Pro: for some reason I can't figure out where to put my own books.....

The book swhich come with the reader give me all kinds of errors so that's not a great start either.

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

SAme problems here :smileysad: and when i tried to use foliant it didnt work with the books all it gave me was a bunch of weird looking characters 

HELP US!!!

If you found this post or any other psot helpful please press the green kudus star :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

[ Edited ]

I figured out how to get eReader Pro to work on the N8. In the options menu you have to play around with the settings and in the end I was able to read the books.

I also figured out where to put the personal content. On the N8 it is stored in Mass Memory -> Data -> Others

Once I put my personal content in there (in PDB format) it came up in the library,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dotew

Thank you for the tips! I am so excited I can now use the reader!

The problem was that the default font doesn't work on the N8, so you need to change it to a Nokia one. I used Nokia Sans S60, with font size 9. Works a treat! A bit laggy with the page sliding, but otherwise fine...

now all I have to do is find a good source of free books to download...

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

Manybooks seems  to have a lot - 29,000 - but not sure about the quality - haven't used it yet.

Manybooks

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dotew

Thank you. I tried that site and thought I was happily downloading books, only to discover that they only work when I'm online...is that right?

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

I just did a test. Downloaded Calibre ebook reader to my PC, downloaded a book from Manybooks, and it seemed to read OK from the downloaded file.  Haven't got an ebook reader on my N8, but can't see why that shouldn't be the same.  Are you downloading the books and transferring them to your phone.  The only way I can think that it would require a link is if your were saving a link to the books rather than the books themselves.  I used the red Download box, choosing epub from the dropdown and it seemed to download the books to my PC OK.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dotew

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that! I had been downloading direct onto the N97 mini, and it was obviously only doing the links. So I got it working by DL to laptop and dropping the files into the correct folder.  Pretty sure it's not going online (home wifi) to read it now, but will test it when I go out tomorrow.

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

By the way, this is my husband's phone, I have the N8 which I love!

Please use plain text.
Cido

Thanks Rodeto. It's work very well.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I'm using ZXReader2 and it works excellent; converted my eBooks to fb2 with Calibre, and it's really good.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

Here's a nice review of three readers inclusing Ereader Pro and ZX Reader.

http://blog.wapreview.com/tag/symbian3/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CunningCat

If a great reader does not appear soon then Nokia must make or commission one. It's an absolute must for any platform.
Nokia C7 (RM-675)
Firmware: 013.016
Nokia C6 (RM-612)
Firmware: 20.0.042
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

To be honest, Ereader Pro suits my needs. Of course there can be made further progression in development of that program but I can do what I want and how I want. That enough for me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hedy60

Hi,

Can anyone help me. I have downloaded the ereader pro to my N8 phone. I purchased a book from the ereader web site and downloaded it to the phone, through bluetooth from computer and from the web site on the phone itself and then when I want to open the file it says unable to open, file type not supported. What am I doing wrong?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rodeto

Is the book in  PDB format ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hedy60

Yes, it is!!

Please use plain text.