Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 fails

Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 fails

when i connect my nokia 5800 in media transfer mode, windows try to find the drivers for the mtp device, but it always fails no matter what i have tried. i need to fix this.
Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Contributor
H2_NokUser

Re: mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 fails

Hi,

I am also having the same problem.

It only started after I installed the latest firmware v31.0.101 available in my location.

I did the hard reset and formatted the memory card, no change.

I am hoping someone comes up with a solution.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
H2_NokUser

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have gotten my Nokia 5800 to work in all connection types.

Firstly, I had updated my phone to the latest firmware available to me via NSU (v31.0.101), and made a back up of my contacts and memory card.

1. Uninstalled Nokia PC suite, Cable driver, and PC connectivity (might not have got the exact names right).

2. Ran the Nokia PC suite cleaner.

3. Restarted the PC.

4. Formatted the memory card.

5. Did a hard reset on the phone (green button + red button + camera button - until country selection pops up during the power up of the phone)

6. Installed Nokia PC suite (latest version).

7. Connected the 5800 to the PC in the default connection, and let all the drivers install.

All the drivers, including the MTP USB device driver installed successfully. To be on the safe side, I changed the connection type from the phone toall the different connections to make sure it installed.

Also run the app update application first before restoring backups and re-installing applications.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

Message Edited by H2_NokUser on 11-Nov-2009 05:38 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Way easier solution than that. I had the MTP issue almost from the get go. Mucked about with it for ages and finally with some lateral thinking came up with the following solution.

1. Make sure your computers on Windows Media Player 10 (MP11 **bleep** it up every time)

2. Put phone in Mass Storage mode (its in the settings/connectivity/USB section)

3. Plug in the USB cable and go to Windows Explorer

4. Navigate to the private folder on your phone and delete folder 10208913

5. Unplug USB cable

6. Turn off the phone

7. Plug the USB cable back in to the computer

8. Turn on the phone

9. Change back to PC Suite mode in settings/connectivity/USB

10. MTP will now load ok and everything should be tickety boo

11. If not Shoot yourself after first throwing phone out of a high window cos nothings going to work!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kermit

Many thanks to Tronic47 for the above post :squint:

I've tried all the other possible suggestions (uninstalling / clearing / edit registry key etc - couldn't do 'rollback to WMP10 though) & this worked perfectly.

Like to add one thing to this -

I noticed a small pop-up on Windows (XP) came up when I did steps 6)-8) (Switch off/plugin/switch on) stating something about 'installing generic nokia' (it happened too quick to see exactly what it was) - so I'm guessing somewhere along the line a driver was missing

Motto: Illegitimis non carborundum
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

senceless procedures. instead go back to pc suite /as i did/ and wait for better ovi suite release. going for beta test of nokia software is a thing i already had enough of. Now its happening with ovi suite. Try to count on your logical thinking to download your text messages stored on your phones memory card to your pc, for example? Why bother anyway...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kermit

^ :squint: Erm 'vrashkov' ..... sorry to be nit-picking (perhaps you posted to the wrong thread), but there's no mention about 'OVI Suite' in any of the above posts

& just to clear things up - I had this problem when I updated to the Latest PCSuite (v7.1 I believe) - I never had this problem with the older version (which I think was 6.xx), although I do agree that OVI suite does have a problem & Nokia should've sorted it out BEFORE releasing it

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Great thanks to Tronic47 for the tip. I got XP SP3. WMP10 didn't want to install no matter what I tried, like replacing wmploc.dll and so on. So I decided to go further in WMP downgrade. WMP9 installation went smoothly but Nokia PC suite ( v7_1_40_1 ) didn't want to live peacefully with it. I was at the dead end and luckily I found this forum with great tip from Tronic47 regarding deletion of folder 10208913. I did that, installed PC Suite (WMP9 was already installed), MTP Device was recognized by the system, and as a last step upgraded WMP9 to WMP11 through the WMP Help menu and now everything is working. Thanks again to Tronic47. Good Luck to all.

Message Edited by petrya on 10-Dec-2009 05:59 AM
Message Edited by petrya on 10-Dec-2009 06:01 AM
Please use plain text.

Hey dude...u hav said that u hav updated via NSU ad had V 31.0.101 But even i tried to update through NSU its not showing my version is up to date even my verision is 30.0.011 How cud i update to V31.0.101 pls any1 help me..
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I can not find the 10208913 folder. Still I have problems installing mtp device driver. What did the 10208913 folder contain? Can the folders have changed name on my nokia 5800? I'm having the newest update v. 31.0.101.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi 178950. Have you tried entering *#0000# on your phone? I'm running Norwegian language on my phone so I don't know excactly the English meny choices, but in the menu you can chose to look for new updates. Bakcup your phone, though, and use your charger. You don't want the phone to run out of battery power while updating.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
H2_NokUser

Hi,

It may not be available in your country?

I tried from my phone with the "Check for updates", and did not get anything. When I tried plugging in the phone to the Nokia Software Updater, it had found the firmware. - This could have been pure coincidence as I tried the OTA update  a day or two before.

Have you tried the following link:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-update 

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Anyone having any idea about why i can't fint the 10208913 folder and how I can make Tronic47's directions work for me then?
Please use plain text.
am_magsombol

[ Edited ]
Shorter steps than Tronic47 posted: Just delete the 10208913 in the Private folder of your memory card (E: drive). Use X-plore or Y-browser to accomplish this. (Or connect the phone to PC in Mass Storage mode and delete it in Windows Explorer, like what he said). Then connect your phone to the USB of the PC and select PC Suite mode. MTP driver will be installed successfully.
Message Edited by am_magsombol on 14-Jan-2010 02:35 PM
Click the Kudos! star along with this post if you find my post useful.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I don't know if this is an attempt on answering my question or only a general observation. I've followed the instructions, but the 10208913 folder is not to be found in the private folder. Still, it is impossible to install the mtp device driver. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kermit

To gtfossum:

Have you made sure you don't have (on PC) 'Show hidden Files' de-selected

The folder SHOULD be found as follows

> Plug in your 5800 via USB

> Select 'Mass Storage mode' when prompted

> On PC, browse to 'Private' folder

> There should be a folder named  '10208913' shown

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I just checked again to be sure. Yes, I have checked the "show hidden files and folders" option (translated from Norwegian XP). I also tried searching for the file without result.
Please use plain text.

I am running on english language buddy....

The same way i had tried to update my cell as u said .........but its displaying nothing to update ....

Please use plain text.
Contributor

178950, I have no good answers here. It seems to me that updates are not only language dependendt, but also they are not always available for all countries. I have no idea why. I'm also a newbie on the Nokia 5800. 

As for my own problems, I probably have a few things to do before I complain further: I'm running Media Player 11, have an unstable system and am reluctant to make a hard reset (must do alle setup again.) Tried to take out the memory card and the computer is still announcing that it has found new hardware.

Please use plain text.

ok ok ok ok Thank u 4 ur reply yar........
Please use plain text.