Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

n95..battery life..

Advisor

Re: n95..battery life..

Saving power is the key here. I know the battery is too weak for this phone but the n70 had the same problem.

1.Switch to gsm (only) instead of dual mode. This will save loads of juice.
2.Turn off wlan scan.
3. Use a profile without vibration (this may be hard for some ;-) )
4. Don't use full contrast and brightness
5. Don't use apps with automatic gprs/3g/gps/bluetooth/wlan use.
6. Keep bluetooth off when not in use.

Use options above only when needed, this will save a lot of power.
I know it's only a way around but no alternatives yet i believe.

Ps: E90 has about all the specs of n95 (less at some respects and more on others) and comes with a 1500 mh bat.. Enough juice here. Just a bit heavier!!
N70 & E90
Please use plain text.
Advisor

oh and i forgot,

Wait before charging for the batt to be almost completely dead on a regular base.
This will flex the batt for better use. A battery charged often when still half full gets lazy.
N70 & E90
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

>oh and i forgot,

>Wait before charging for the batt to be almost completely >dead on a regular base.
>This will flex the batt for better use. A battery charged >often when still half full gets lazy.

barte90,

This is BAD advice
LITHIUM ION BATTERIES DO NOT GET LAZY AND DO NOT HAVE MEMORY EFFECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just charge them as often as you can and keep them topped up!
Do not-
Condition
Discharge
Cycle
Lithium Ion batteries do not need this and in fact you can decrease their capacity by doing it!
Read my blog
www.blogn95.blogspot.com
www.blogn95.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

bikegrit, what's bikegrit?
Read these for your info, but, especially read parttwo-37 regarding mobile phone batteries. Keep an open mind and learn a little each day!
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-36.htm
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-37.htm
www.blogn95.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Better battery or no more Nokia phones!!

Nokia will have big problem in their hand if they don't come with some solution of extending battery life!! This is my first nokia phone for years after using just Sony Ericsson with at least 3 days battery life and I did big mistake purchasing Nokia N95. If Nokia do not come up with better battery for N95 there will be many customers who won't buy Nokia products after this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Better battery or no more Nokia phones!!

huh..meaning no news yet for a solution regarding battery N95
please NOKIA..do something

correct me if im wrong
as per my understanding..somebody said that battery ion can be charged at almost anytime..no need to wait till its almost dead?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bigbad

I've got to agree with pa49, but chill out a little dude not everbody has your knowlege.
Here's some info from Wikipedia:

Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.
Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v.
Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
According to one book, lithium-ion batteries should not be frozen (should not be stored below -40 °C), because most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C (this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers, however).
Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.
When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't know whether this will help anyone but I had many similar troubles with battery life. With wireless scanning off, 3G on, bluetooth only as required, I would get about 24 hours "on-time"...and I would consider myself a very light user.

Then, about a week ago, I purchased a spare battery and a desk charger to charge both the phone and spare battery simultaneously and found that the battery charged 'outside the phone' is lasting me significantly longer. I have run a test over the last few days on both batteries and found they perform the same as each other, so it was not that the new battery is better.

The net result is that, at this moment, I have my original battery in the phone. I have listened to a few tunes, taken & backed-up a few photos, synchronised with Outlook a few times and my power meter is still showing 'full' with the phone being left on continuosly from 12.00 pm Saturday (just over 49 hours ago).

Maybe the Nokia phone itself is stopping the charge cycle too soon...I don't know, I'm certainly no battery expert. That said, I thought this may be useful knowledge to pass on to some of you here.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Actually, something else that may be relevent just occured to me (have no idea why this never occured to me!) but the "Desktop charger" I puchased was basically a stand into which you plug your mains charger so, for convenience sake, I purchased a new charger which was a Nokia-compatible one so I've been using that rather than the one that comes with the phone. Here are the two pieces of equipment:

http://www.foneshop.com/accessories/description/2028

http://www.foneshop.com/accessories/description/2519

Hope this works for you guys and gals!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi bigbad,
I hear what you say, but, everyone can use the search discussions function!
It would save a lot of repeats.
www.blogn95.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
nj15

Here's a solution for power hungry phones:

First aid for your power supply

http://xpressmusic.wordpress.com/2007/09/10/nokia-extra-power-dc-8/

:smileyhappy:

After 10seconds research I found this:

It is important to learn battery care information for Lithium-ion batteries to enhance the performance and extend the useful life of the battery. Because they are the newest technology batteries, they offer several advantages over NiMH and NiCd batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are preferred for their lighter weight and higher performance. Lithium-ion batteries are typically 20-35% lighter and will provide 10-20% better performance than a NiMH battery of equivalent mAh rating. Lithium-ion batteries are also unique in that they are not susceptible to the "memory effect".

A new Lithium-ion battery will benefit from an initial "conditioning" of the battery. For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery overnight and allow it to fully discharge before recharging. Once conditioned, Lithium-ion batteries will perform best when charged at a rate somewhere between a conventional slow charge and a rapid charge. When rapid charging, Lithium-ion batteries require a charger designed to charge Lithium batteries. To achieve a true full charge when rapid charging, the battery needs to be slow charged the last 10-15% of its charge cycle. Most "intelligent" desktop and Lithium-battery rapid chargers provide this capability. A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours).

So it appears that it is better to "condition" these batteries first off!!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

lets get loud my friends... to who want to let nokia know that we are unsatisfied--> sign it and let it run all over the world!
http://www.petitiononline.com/NokiaN95/petition.html

Thanks all!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

people are complaining but my battery lasts me at least 2-3 days with HEAVY usage, i have the n95-1 usa edition. Its very practical and honestly have no issues with the battery
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Solutions how to improve battery life N95:

1. Go to Settings-General-Personalisation-Display-Light sensor-minimum,

2. Go to Power save timeout-5 secoconds

3. Go to Light time-out-5 seconds

4. Longer talk time: try calling only when the network coverage is maximum and use earphones for callings ( I was talking 6 hours 30 minutes through headphones by my N95 !)

5. Dont make your mobile searching 3G if you dont want to use it: go to Settings-Phone-Network-Network mode-GSM

6. Settings-Phone-Network-Cell info display-off

7. Close all applications by pressing and holding "menu key" and close all of them by "C" key

8. Turn off WLAN scannig

9. Turn off bluetooth

10. Dont charge battery by car charges

11. Charge battery by as slow charger as possible (ACP-2 is slowest)
Turn off mobile during charging

12. If not taking photos close the lens

13. Turn off mobile when you sleep or make love :smileyhappy:

14. Use Offline mode if dont want to use for calling or messaging.

15. Go to settings-connection-packet data-packet data connection-when needed

16. Try not using profiles with vibration

What do you think?...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
shobhitnsaxena

Thanks to all those peoples who given us good advices to keep our phone battry in good condition.

With all these tips i am using N95 and till now no issue like i had previously or many peoples are complaining.
Currently Using N95-1
Next phone: N96
Please use plain text.