Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia 5300 Xpress music "subscribe to packet data ...

nokia 5300 Xpress music "subscribe to packet data first" error msg

I am unable to use any MIDlet applications on my Nokia 5300 phone that access the internet. Whenever I try to open the application like Gmail, Catalogs. I get the following error message: "subscribe to packet data first"

I am however able to access the Internet using the web browser. I think the issue is because the apps are unable to locate the access point. I have defined the access point in the configuration as stated in http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=282

Please note that I was able to use the MIDlet apps until suddenly I started getting this error. I have tried reinstalling the apps, the config settings etc. but nothing will work.

I was thinking a hard reset is the only option. However, i cant find the code to do it. Please advice.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: nokia 5300 Xpress music "subscribe to packet data first" error msg

dnt master reset your phine tried it dnt work lol im having the same problems so if u know ow to do it know let me know plz cheers
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I got the similar problem and no solutuion

I upgrade opera mini 3 to new opera mini 4 but it can not connect on web. When I go on options/application access/communication/(network access or connectivity) it is set to not allowed but it won't change. I even try to fix this problem with updating my phone software but it didn't help. Can anyone help? Please! Any ideas?
P.S. I forgot to wrote, I can use internet with nokia browser and gmail client, and it works fine. Also I tried reinstalling opera 4 but nothing works and installing opera 3, witch was previously installed and worked fine, but it wouldn't connect on web.
Nokia 5800 v52 Hacked
Please use plain text.

hi,
i'm having loads of trouble with gmail on my nokia 5310 xpress music. Before I had a simple 5200 and it worked fine. Now I can connect to gmail online but as soon as i am logged in I get a blank page and it returns to the login page. I also tried to download gmail app and even declared a mailbox with the Gmail parameters but it says some things about insufficient security. Could anyone help please ? are there certificates or tips ? I can't imagine Nokia would not be Google compatible.
I tried by updating the software yesterday but it didn't change a thing.

But i have internet access to the nokia pages, i forgot to mention. Unfortunately, it's no use to me. What I want is access to my Gmail box.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I too have a XpressMusic 5310 and any application that I install or write that tries to access network doesn't allow network.  The option is greyed out to set the access.  I have tried every setting with no success.  I have search online for a solution and no one seems to have the answer.  I called TMobile, my carrier, and they have no clue.  Thier tech support was on the phone with me for 2 hours trying to help and they weren't even sure that the phone could use third party apps.  I wanted to use the freeware Google Maps.  I downloaded the jar and jad files, copied them to the sim card and the application access is still greyed out, unselectable.  I tried using the Nokia PC suite installer for the jar file and same thing.  I wrote a simple jar file that does a URL connection to a website I want to do parse the data and display and even my app that I installed has the Option -> Application Access greyed out.  I am totally frustrated with this phone and the way this phone works.  Please someone help me fix this phone.  The iPhone is looking so much better now accept they don't use java, some **bleep** form of C instead.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JeffyJuggalo

I have that same problem, i have T-mobile month internet plan and i can get on the interet but when i try and sign into Windoms Messanger or Yqahoo messanger. it says Subscribe to Packet Data First..... how do i get it to work

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JeffyJuggalo

I am having same problem, I had Nokia 5300 for a while but the LCD screen cracked same with the screen on the housing. so i got another housing the other day and im trying to get on Windows Love Messenger but it says"Subscribe To Packet Data First". and i downloaded 2 apps from t-zones, but when i run them thay say "Subscribe To Packet Data First" so how do i get them to work.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Chetu143

I am using 5310,
and on internet surfing and downloading i am getting the problem of " subscibe to packet data ".
I tried every setting but al in vain,
and hoping u wil solve this prob.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chatterboxajl

I have the same issue has any one found an answer as i have tried all sorts of settings.  Trying to use internet through phone using giffgaff sim.

Please use plain text.