Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia 701 - current issues (29.09.2011)

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dmotzev

[ Edited ]

RE: Other people

You should try the new 700 - sure, it lacks some features, compared to the 701, yet is incredibly responsive (up to the point where it almost predicts your next touch). On top of that, it's much better looking.

Regarding Belle vs Android (Belle lagging on a 1GHz CPU) - friend, are you serious? Belle needs 30% less resources to complete same tasks as Android. Won't go into details but Android tries to heavily adapt Apple's marketing approach and fails.

So, the only issue with the 701 I've seen so far is the long initial start-up time.

Honestly, if E7 had better specs, I'd never look else where :-)

Moderator's note: Offensive and attacking language versus one of the forum users has been removed. Please let's help each other, and not attack each other!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I've found two other bugs on the Nokia 701 (FW 111.020.0307):

1. If I miss an incoming SMS, I cannot see that by looking at the LED at the bottom of the device. The LED should flash rapidly, but that only works for incoming missed calls.
  2. I've defined a VPN access point in my network settings. There, I've set "Easy WLAN". That allows me to choose any wifi wherever I am. Now, if I open the built-in internet browser to get connected to the network, I immediately get the message to choose a wifi. Before, on my former Nokia N95, I got the message to choose a wifi or the predefined VPN access point. After choosing the VPN access point I could choose a wifi. Result: With the internet browser of the Nokia 701 I cannot directly choose the VPN access point anymore. In fact, I have to 'hard-code' it in the settings of the internet browser. That's not very handy as I always have to change the settings depending on my location. I don't think that this behaviour is really intended...
  3. If you select "Messaging" , you have all messages ungrouped in a long list. To group the messages by "Inbox", "Sent", "Draft", etc., you first have to select "View folders". As you cannot store that setting the message handling isn't very comfortable.
Please use plain text.
zephryc

problem with my 701, is that i had a wifi connection in my home.. it's fine when i access the wifi the first time, bt when lets say, i use a wifi connection from my workplace, when i return home, i cant connect to the home connection again.. it keeps on saying, connection failed (the status under the connection changes from known > connecting > known bt never "connected").. the only way to fix this problem is by restarting the phone..

also, im wondering if any 701 user had this problem as well, the touch screen is sensitive i believe, bt occasionally (quite often - about 4 or 5 times in half an hour usage), the touch screen seems to be not responsive; ie; i need to wait or touch the screen several times before the screen responds again..

pls help.. had posted in connectivity section bt here seems crowded, thus i repost again.. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

I just got my 701 and even though it looks nice at first; I'm very disappointed. Why?
-I can't add any other email than Exchange. There is no option.
-If I want to share a pic via Facebook, I get "Service not Available"
-Just charged an hour ago, but the first bar of battry charge is gone already
-Everything I try to do is rather disappointing except for the UI that looks and responds quite well
I can post some mor issues soon, but the email thing is really bugging me, anyone else have that here?
All in all, I'm afraid I'll have to return it straight away. I'm waiting for Nokia Support to call me back on that email issue, I haven't told them the other issues yet.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

Allright, most of the issues I reported yesterday are resolved!

Nokia Support did not call me back, somewhat disappointing...

I turned out that some wizard that you're supposed to complete the first time you start the phone did not run. I re-inserted the sim and the wizard was triggerd, I entered some data and my Nokia Account details and gained a lot of functionality!

Now the Social media app works so I can post to and read from Facebook. Also the email allowed me to add Hotmail as well as all the other big providers (Gmail, Yahoo etc). It works, pretty good; I sometimes have the feeling Hotmail is a bit slow but it seems to improve. (Maybe that's because I cleaned out my Inbox?)

Now the only real downsides to Symbian Belle to me are:

-The limited number of apps and low quality of most of them.

-Bad video quality; even the included "National Geographic" app can't play without hanging up every 3 seconds or so. Youtube is almost unwatchable.

For the rest it's quite good in my current opinion. (Which may differ over time...;-)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

Ah, yes... forgot the battery life that needs to prove itself.

Not saying that it's bad, but I'm not convinced yet.
Will post back here after a few charge cycles.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

To play youtube without any lag use opera mini. What happens is that, when you press watch in opera it opens link to default browsers, there you need to open the stream link. That is it youtube now plays via video player without lag!!!

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

Thanks for the hint, although it didn't help me much unfortunately. I tried the Opera Stream link, It's still **bleep**. The video is as good as unwatchable, it's blocky, hangs up, etc. same video on same WiFi network runs smooth. Bummer...

I'm also experiencing problems where I get a popup in the upper left corner of the screen telling me that there is no data connection even though I'm 100% sure that there is a active data connection.

I get it during games and in apps sometimes. It's quite annoying; sometimes the only thing I can do to get my 701 to use that connection that's already there, is reboot!

Please use plain text.
vinman

are you dumb @john_tesla ? i don't see any reason in you moving this post out of the thread, it was very much relevant to the discussion in the thread.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

[ Edited ]

I've got a brand new 701 and it's working pretty well ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ads295

my 701 has the following issues.
FM transmitter doesn't work
Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

I just got a new 701, the first one I got was already used. (probably mixed-up in the warehouse)

The new one I have has different software even though I fully update the "old" one.

I still have the issue where I get a message in the upper left corner tell me there's no data connection available even though I can see there's a connection available and active.

Also, the store tends to forget my credentials so I need to log in every day or multiple times on one day; very annoying.

I sent a mail to Nokia support, hope it doesn't end in a black hole.

It's very hard to get support on Belle, they really need to step up on this.

Overall I do like the 701 and battery lif is much better on my new unit. (I can tell already, even though I'm still on my first charge!) I feel Nokia needs a more transparent way to log issues though...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
2Meter

[ Edited ]

@ads295:

Regarding the FM transmitter;

Any possibility that it's not allowed in your country and it's blocked in your specific firmware?
May be a dumb comment, but I read somewhere that it's not allowed in some countries...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mdcoley

A few bugs I've found, This is on new firmware I picked up a few days ago OTA: 111.030.0609.C09.01 2011-11-26.

Video editor is useless as the audio gets well out of sync with the video when you string clips together. Each clip plays perfectly on its own. Program would be very good if it worked, but because of this it is a waste of space. I've tried cropping the video segments in case there are fractions of a second left at the end of videos confusing things, but this made no difference. Recording quality was widescreen HD.

Log no longer shows byte count in data traffic. On my 5800 it was useful to see how much data the GPRS/WLAN connections used individually. No data is recorded and there is nothing in the filters that lets you select this.

Swiping in the log screen moves you left and right, but is there a graphical transition missing?

Sat nav audio doesn't come across the FM transmitter. On my 5800 it used to lower the volume and speak over the top of audio. On the 701 the audio is faded out, but the sat nav isn't routed via the same audio pathway and only comes out of the speaker (which is a bit quiet when driving).

Best wishes,

Mark.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anvi1622

one big issue i face with my nokia 701 is that even though i have full signal, it doesnt allow me to make or receive calls. random messages like 'not allowed' 'connection error' 'no answer' or simply and blank tone.

if i restart the phone, it starts working fine.

Please use plain text.