Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

"Call not allowed" for outgoing calls

Contributor

"Call not allowed" for outgoing calls

Hi, I'm not actually in the UK. I'm Canadian, but the n80 hasn't been released here so the Canadian Nokia support people haven't been able to help me.
I bought the n80 from a private store (I guess they obviously got it overseas somewhere) about a week ago and I'm having trouble making calls.
I can receive calls, text message, and websurf. I just can't make any calls. When I try to make a call I get a message saying "call not allowed". I tried seeing if my phone somehow barred all outgoing calls, but it asks for a password which I never set. I already tried 1234 but it didn't work.
Now here's where it gets weird...
I called Nokia Canada, but they don't have the n80 yet so they directed me to Nokia USA. NOKIA USA doesn't have it yet either, but the guy still tried to help based on what he knows about how NOKIAs generally work. We did a whole bunch of troubleshooting (including reconfiguring the phone to original factory settings) and nothing helped.
I took it back to the store I bought it from, and the guy took my SIM card out and put his own in and voilla - it works. So we figured that either my SIM card is broken, or my service provider is blocking my outgoing calls.
So I call Rogers (my service provider) and after more troubleshooting (including putting my SIM card back into my old phone - and it works fine then) they say the problem isn't on their end.
So why was the other guy able to use my N80 with his SIM card, and why am I able to use my old phone (a NOKIA 3595) with my SIM card, but I can't use my n80 with my SIM card? And more importantly, how can I resolve this?

ps. I'm planning on bringing it in to a Rogers (my service provider) store to see if they can help there, but I doubt it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
bigguy

Re: "Call not allowed" for outgoing calls

The N80 is a 3g phone, does your network support 3g calling? If not, all is not lost, you can set up the N80 to only use standard gsm networks, hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Sage

The password should actually be "12345" And, yes it's probably blocked from call barring.You should cancel all restrictions and this should solve yor problem.If the phone is brand new, this should be the code.If not, well, you can format your phone after backing up your data and then try again.I don't think it's a 3g/gsm problem since the phone goes automatically from 3g to gsm and the other way around depending on network coverage.
Hope this will solve your problem.
Phones i owned so far 6630,6680,N90,N93*
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I know it's normally 12345 but when I select "cancel" for "call barrings" -> "outgoing calls", it only allows me to type in 4 digits, not 5. Also, if I select "check status" instead of "cancel", it just says request not completed (without even asking for a password).
And I've already tried reformating it when I was troubleshooting with the Nokia USA technical support rep - it didn't help.

As for the 3g thing, I'll ask the guys at Rogers about it today.

Thanks for trying guys, any other suggestions?
Is there any number that I, as a resident of a country that does not actually sell the phone, could call a Nokia technical support rep somewhere that could actually help me? Nokia Canada says they can't help because they're not familiar with the phone and most Nokia offices in other countries seem to be saying that they don't take international calls. This is rediculous!
Please use plain text.
Professor

The PIN for call barring is set by your network.

You'll need to get the code from them, or get them to remove the blocking for you.
Orange Handsets : Nokia 51 > NK702 (6130) > 6210 > 6310i (silver)> 7210i > 6230 > 6230i (silver) > N80 (silver) > N95-1
T-Mobile: N96
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I found this

http://www.3gtoday.com/wps/portal

It says on the above site that There are now eight CDMA2000 1xEV-DO operators in the United States.

N80 uses these freqs Quadband EDGE/GSM 850/900/1800/1900 + WCDMA 1900 or 2100 MHz with
simultaneous voice and packet data (PS max speed UL/DL= 384/384kbps, CS max speed 64kpbs)

As shown the USA uses CDMA2000 FREQ.

So the N80 can not transmit on that 3g frequency.

Maybe the man in shops sim works on gsm, and his net work allows network hopping, but yours does not allow network hopping.

Or recieve a call via gsm, and make a call via 3g, however not being able to due to wrong transmit freqs. or vice versa.

Just a thought.

Message Edited by steve_n80_uk on 28-Jul-2006
02:18 AM

Please use plain text.
Sage

Try to enter "0000" If that doesn't work try to speak to your operator.They should be able to cancel Call Barring .
Hope this will solve it!
Phones i owned so far 6630,6680,N90,N93*
Please use plain text.
Professor

29-Jul-2006
10:33 AM
micaradu wrote:
Try to enter "0000" If that doesn't work try to speak to your operator.They should be able to cancel Call Barring .
Hope this will solve it!

You have to be carefull with it on some networks, as they tie this in to a SIM lock which will disable the SIM completely (self defence by the netork at hack attempt to remove the block).

So many networks use differing codes (Orange it's 1111 as default, IIRC either Voda or Three is 1001).

If you chagne the code and forget it, or can't remove it most networks suggest you call them to reset it for you.
Orange Handsets : Nokia 51 > NK702 (6130) > 6210 > 6310i (silver)> 7210i > 6230 > 6230i (silver) > N80 (silver) > N95-1
T-Mobile: N96
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, after even more complications, it's finally been resolved. I bought a new SIM card from the Rogers (the service provider) store but they couldn't do the equipment change (to transfer my account and number to the new SIM card) because of some issues with transfering my corporate plan. But I finally got it all worked out. Though still nobody really understands why my SIM card was incompatible only with my phone. But I figured that solving the problem was more important than understanding it. In any case, thanks for all your efforts.
Please use plain text.

Hi, I'm not actually in the UK. I'm Filipino,I bought Nokia 6600 from a private store in Dubai and I use there. I left Dubai and decide to return home for good. I brought my phoe to Philippines but unfortunately i cannot make outgoing call but i receive incoming calls, receive text message. I tried to set my phone and go to barring setting but when i enter the password not accepting. I have no idea how to come on it.
what is the possible solution to use my phoe for outgoing calls.
Please use plain text.

bought Nokia 6600 from a private store in Dubai and I use there. I left Dubai and decide to return home for good. I brought my phone to Philippines but unfortunately i cannot make outgoing call i receive incoming calls, receive text message. I tried to set my phone I tried to set my phone and cancel the call barring but when i enter the password is not accepting. I have no idea how to come on it.
what is the possible solution to use my phoe for outgoing cal
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Try doing what I did. Buy a new sim card. If you still have problems after that, then you can call your service provider and they should be able to fix the issue on their end.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
hi, I had the same problem, only allowed to send txts and incoming calls and able to access the internet /wap. Well here is the solution to your problem or if anyone else is experiencing it. The call barring as not been set by your service provider so dont go wasting your precious time and money calling them. If you have the nokia well i hope brand there is a command you press. This is the hash key on your phone. Just keep this pressed down and you will have a choice of returning  your active Line to normal. Then you will be able to call out.  voila!!
Message Edited by p11paul on 29-Jan-2009 07:01 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

This will only be true for handsets that are set for the '#' key to perform ALS (Autmatic Line Switching, fairly common in the middle- and far-east). On handsets elsewhere, the '#' key switches in and out of silent profile and will therefore not have the effect you describe.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

many thanks for the tip of taking out the sim card. I now can make out going calls once more  :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.